May 09, 2024, 09:34:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Best Tmax map for my ride?

Started by MichaelDee, May 03, 2015, 02:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelDee

My bike: 2009 FLHTCU, stock 96 engine with SnS 510G cams, SnS Power Duals, Rinehart 4" slip-ons with "Quiet" baffles, and Boyesen Intake.  Mostly ride one-up with a 50/50 blend of interstate and local roads.  Current base map is #364 with enough miles on it that most of the auto-tuning is done.  Seems to be a good map, but just wondering if a different one would be better (it's the sickness, you know!).  Thoughts appreciated. Thanks
"When you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there."  GH

MichaelDee

Here is zip file of current map after latest auto-tune.  Thanks

bigfoot5x

I wouldn't fool with it at all if it has had time to auto tune and you like the way it runs. I looked at the map that mine is using with the thought of fooling with it not too long ago. I spent some time looking and finally I thought it was running so good, why  screw around with it? You know?

MichaelDee

May 13, 2015, 08:29:29 AM #3 Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 09:49:10 AM by MichaelDee
Understood, Bigfoot... the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy is usually what I stick with, too. Wasn't all together sure if I correctly matched my cam to the choices available in the base maps.  I went with the redshift 527/tru-duals map (#364) but think the redshift 575 map (#312) or fueling 525 map (#317) might be OK, too.  Should probably just load the map for the redshift 575, then the map for the fueling 525, and see how it runs with those.  Was hoping for some insights to save me some time before starting to experiment.  Thanks for your advice, Michael
Any input from gurus Max or Mayor??

MichaelDee

Would it help if I posted a monitoring log?  Sidestand (from cold) or from a short ride?  Really appreciate any feedback.  Thanks

bigfoot5x

So what would you want to change? When I looked at the map, it showed a bell curve graph at all rpms. The graph mostly shows a 13.5 AFR for all throttle positions up to 49% throttle opening. From that throttle position up to wide open the AFR was 13. I thought about changing the AFR to 13.7 or even 14.0 at the lower throttle openings to increase gas mileage and decided against it. I actually installed the ThunderMax after I changed the air filter and to V&H Power Duals with stock cam. The instructions said that any cam with less than 240 degrees of duration was close enough to consider "stock" when choosing a map. I then changed the cams and did not reload a new map as the map would have been the same. I just let it relearn and retune. Never gave me a bit of trouble and I like I said, it runs great.

I got to thinking that the map stays the same regardless of the number but the timing and amount of time the injector is open is what the auto tune actually adjusts. Don't know if I am right or not. But in all cases the whole idea of auto tuning is to find a map close and then the tuner adjusts the engine as you ride. As long as it starts and runs it will find the optimum. Changing maps too often means you will never reach the optimum. At least this is the way I see it.

MichaelDee

I hear ya, Bigfoot.  Just got really bored here (in central MS) with all the rain and was looking for stuff to do, a little tweak here, a little tweak there...
Will probably let things be and just enjoy the ride.  Just for fits and giggles here is (sidestand) monitoring log 

q1svt

Quote from: bigfoot5x on May 20, 2015, 11:08:42 AM
I got to thinking that the map stays the same regardless of the number but the timing and amount of time the injector is open is what the auto tune actually adjusts. Don't know if I am right or not. But in all cases the whole idea of auto tuning is to find a map close and then the tuner adjusts the engine as you ride. As long as it starts and runs it will find the optimum.
Auto tuning uses the WBO2's to adjust the injector PW to get fuel to the AFR specified within the map at that RPM/TPS.  No timing changes...

MAPs are different in timing, idle RPM, cold/hot running, fuel curves, timing, etc based on the overall build [map].  If you use the TMax copy/paste map function you can see where there are differences [yes, if the maps were derived from the same source there may not be differences...  :wink:
Greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge.

MichaelDee

I knew that auto-tune only affects air/fuel ratios.  Timing has to be changed manually.  Did not know T-Max had cut and paste capabilities, so I will do some visual comparisons between maps before I start installing them and doing "butt-dyno" runs.  Thanks

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: MichaelDee on May 22, 2015, 02:58:18 PM
I knew that auto-tune only affects air/fuel ratios.  Timing has to be changed manually.  Did not know T-Max had cut and paste capabilities, so I will do some visual comparisons between maps before I start installing them and doing "butt-dyno" runs.  Thanks

Auto tune has no effect on AFRs only stored injector PWs..   Afrs are set in the AFR tables..

MichaelDee

Mis-spoke on the AFR, please accept my most humble apology.  Thanks for your input/correction/clarification.  Just going to ride and enjoy before the next bout of rain hits here.