May 03, 2024, 09:36:42 PM

News:

Garmin Zumo 550 vs Harley RoadTech Zumo

Started by tc88hog, November 07, 2008, 07:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc88hog

I'm thinking of buying a GPS and have narrowed it down to the Zumo.  Both HD and Garmin market a Zumo product and I'm a little confused about the differences between the two products.  Can anyone help out by explaining the differences between the two? Are there any technical advantages of one over the other?

SEMJPM

As far as I can tell, the difference is about $300. I bought the Zumo 550 for $600. Came with a bike mount and a car mount. Harley sells those as accessories. The Harley version come loaded with the location of all the HD dealers. You can log onto the Zumo forum and download that file for free.

SEMJPM

Coyote

Just get the Zumo, you will not be sorry.  :up:

450 or 550 is up to you.

sfarson

The Zumo 550... Possibly my most favorite farkle for a bike ever purchased.

Flat Dog

The 'big' difference as stated is that Garmin gives you the accessories Harley charges you for. I also downloaded their 'feature' of Dealerships throughout the country for free. POI downloads: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56474

I bought an SD card and loaded my whole MP3 collection onto it-played thru the Garmin into the radio Aux input. Never even use my radio any more. Two thumbs up.

Princess Butt

I've been using the Zumo 550 for more than a year now, and it seems every week I learn something new about it. They're great, it's nice being able to roll into a town after being on the road all day, and touching a screen which tells you where to go for food, and where to go for lodging.

We've mounted it at an angle which allows the "B" (my wife) to look over my shoulder and tell me what it's saying when we're in heavy, crappy city traffic and I can't take my eyes off the road.

I'm interested in the Harley specific mount for the Zumo. It looks cleaner than the one from Garmin (which just clamps to the handlebar).

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

TweekmyTwin

November 08, 2008, 06:29:39 AM #6 Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 06:31:39 AM by TweekmyTwin
You might want to check this site out before you purchase a HD zumo clone. www.zumoforums.com

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Kiss What ?

marc

I have had my Zumo 450 for about a year and absolutely love it...

Dennis The Menace

How many of the HD dealers in that POI are now closed down?  Been a few shutdown in the last 1-2 years.  ;-(

I still use a Quest, with HD mount.  It's handy in the car on trips and on the boat too.  Hard to give it up for a new model, but the Zumo is easier to read for those of us with tired eyes...I will have to make the switch soon.   But, it will be to a stock Garmin, not HD.  The HD units are overpriced, and not much difference from Garmin.

Good deals on the Garmin, you can find a 550 for about $400-500.00 less than the HD, if you look hard enough.

Menace

rking1550

I have the zumo 550 and love it  I'm still learning all the stuff it can do. like use  harley's ride planer off their web site and download it to the zumo ( which I haven't done yet ). blue tooth, play music, hold pictures and a lot more. I know its not the cheapest out there but I think it's worth the money. it came with two mounts one for the bike and one for the truck.   
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR