April 27, 2024, 03:19:23 PM

News:

New Project

Started by bc1, May 26, 2015, 01:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Racepres

Nice Project...But ...around here...This

is a Basket!!!!

BTW LMK if you are going torewire according to the Stock diagram...
also make sure you have a Kicker support for behind that cover...or Breakage is certain....

JC 92FXRS

That actually looks like a really fun project. I see the previous ower went to the "dark side" with the rear tire.
Shoot a pic of your progress every now and then.
Good luck and cheers, Jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

bc1

I saw that when I looked at the frame the first time. Kind of funny, when I had a Suzuki LC1500, I too went to the dark side. It was a pain to seat the bead on that tire, but I did, and I'll tell you, it does change the handling. The word "counter steer" has a whole new meaning. There were advantages, but when I sold the Suzuki so I could get my Ultra, I put a MC tire on.

bc1

That is a basket case! Now if you had a basket of fasteners, bots, nuts, I'd try to get you to sell them to me! There aren't any, none! Not even the front motor mounts!

I have found a site with tons of info on iron heads, don't know if I can post links to other forums here. I have been accumulating tips and pics. I'm as hooked on the site as I was reading Donnie's massive book on TwinCams.

I will probably re-wire it myself. I am going to start looking for 82- 85 handle bar switches and levers. I am very good with electronics, can solder and crimp very well.

After I got the bike home, I checked the vin, and it a 1973 XLCH, not a 74 like my friend told me. That's no problem, I just want a reliable rider.

Being new to Sporsters, would you explain what you mentioned about "kicker support". Do you have a pic? I sort of understand what you're talking about.

I either have the wrong primary cover or clutch actuator parts. The plate the three balls ride on is a bit too large in diameter, and the tab is too big. Any ideas?

Quote from: Racepres on June 15, 2015, 06:53:44 AM
Nice Project...But ...around here...This

is a Basket!!!!

BTW LMK if you are going torewire according to the Stock diagram...
also make sure you have a Kicker support for behind that cover...or Breakage is certain....

dr evo1

the picture you posted with the rear wheel is a big twin disc brake wheel that wont work with the drum brake swing arm that is on that frame. sporty didn't use disc brake till 79 and they had a square swing arm not round. you have your work cut out for you good luck.

Racepres

Quote from: bc1 on June 16, 2015, 06:19:55 AM

Being new to Sporsters, would you explain what you mentioned about "kicker support". Do you have a pic? I sort of understand what you're talking about.

I either have the wrong primary cover or clutch actuator parts. The plate the three balls ride on is a bit too large in diameter, and the tab is too big. Any ideas?

I Don't know about there being a difference in clutch actuators? I'll look...
I'll try to find a Kicker support pic...it is nothing but a Tube behind the cover.