May 10, 2024, 06:21:04 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

trouble starting bike.

Started by Robert48, May 25, 2015, 03:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert48

Just completed a 1k mile weekend across the Blue ridge mountains. The first 2 days I had no problem starting the bike when hot. Yesterday I shut it off for a few minutes and it barely started. It turns over fine just turns over a lot before it starts. Could I have sucked up some trash or something in the carb. Runs fine after it starts. I have it jetted a little rich because its a new motor but not too much. Plugs look decent.

Admiral Akbar

Robert48

Negative. 05 FLHT 9.7:1 98", Andrews 37 with CV carb. Should have been more clear.

kd

It might be worthwhile to do a compression check. Running a new motor too much on the rich side could cause a little cylinder wash. A loss of compression may explain your symptoms.
KD

calif phil

Heat soak problem.   I bet once you get the jetting sorted out it will be ok. 

Robert48

I do have it a little on the rich side because I live at sea level. (50&200) I was at about 3000ft when this was taking place. The electrode on the plugs is exactly the color of a paper bag. Just a little soot on the end of the threads. I will post a pic of them tomorrow. I'm not familiar with the term  "heat soak" could you please explain.

BUBBIE

Heat Soaked= Motor and its Parts all at operating temperature.  Shut off and a Quick start-up allows NO cooling...

Heat soaked engine is some what hard to start. Example: This happens after a run especially on Hot days  and then shutting off bike to fuel up. Kick Backs common and Bucking...

I have compression releases and no problems when trying to start heat soaked engine... I usually will take 10 minutes at the least while fueling... That is a good amount of cooling for my 103"... Seldom needs the compression releases pushed in by then... (Unless I'm Down at sea-level) Lots of compression there...

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

vafatboy1

Heat soak is actually engine temps rising after shut off because you have no cooling from air or circulating oil.

Buffalo

A heat soaked engine can act like its vapor locked! In fact it may partially be!! My 88 did that when new, restarting required pulling the enrichener and craking until it fired up. A slightly larger idle jet cured the issue 46 to 48 if I remember right.
If you have compression releases - use them, if not, you might consider getting them and a final tune. Buffalo

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: vafatboy1 on May 26, 2015, 05:21:39 AM
Heat soak is actually engine temps rising after shut off because you have no cooling from air or circulating oil.
:scratch:

How can engine temps rise if there is no source for heat?

Anyway heat soak based on what was stated is a symptom and not a cause..  :scratch:

I would suggest that a possible issue is too much motor heat when shut off coupled with possibly a high float level or leaking float needle.. The sitting the motor basically floods itself.. Gasoline can boil at 100-400F depending on the additives and fuel type.. Last fill up may not have had those additives or maybe some blend that made it more susceptible to "heat soak"  The fuel basically boiled in the carb and was replenished from the tank.. I would also be suspicious of the petcock as a possible source for flooding..  Wrong ignition timing can cause excessive heat which could be part of the problem.

Robert48

I'm leaning towards the float/ carb problem. I have 2k miles on it now and it started this all of the sudden. Did it at 5000' and now at sea level. I pulled it in my garage and have a strong gas smell. I may be wrong but if the float valve was slightly leaking wouldn't it just leak all the gas out of the line into the carb since I have a vac petcock. Kind of a slightly flooded situation if you will. I had a springer without the vac petcock and it would run all the gas out of the tank if this happened and you knew exactly what was wrong. I hope this is the problem.

Robert48

I know I should cut the gas off. I know its coming.

bigfoot5x

I'm more inclined to think heat soaking in a water cooled engine. No coolant circulating so the heat builds up in the engine slightly before it starts cooling. I don't see how it can be much of a problem in air cooled engine as once turned off there is no new heat being created and any breeze at all is cooling it.

I've rebuilt lots of carbs through the years because the needle and seat wore out. Engine is turned off and there is still line pressure (car engine) and it floods a little. On the Harley, it will flood until gas is out of line because there is no vacuum.  Easiest way to check is the next time it happens, open the throttle about part way. If it starts easier that way, you know it flooded a little.

If you fix it, you don't have to worry about turning off the gas. The vacuum design works as intended

rageglide

Heat soak usually results in kick back without cr's.

Next time it does this hold throttle wfo, crank until it starts.  If it does, it's flooded or entirely too rich.

How many turns on the mixture screw? 

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: bigfoot5x on May 26, 2015, 06:28:53 PM
I'm more inclined to think heat soaking in a water cooled engine. No coolant circulating so the heat builds up in the engine slightly before it starts cooling. I don't see how it can be much of a problem in air cooled engine as once turned off there is no new heat being created and any breeze at all is cooling it.

I've rebuilt lots of carbs through the years because the needle and seat wore out. Engine is turned off and there is still line pressure (car engine) and it floods a little. On the Harley, it will flood until gas is out of line because there is no vacuum.  Easiest way to check is the next time it happens, open the throttle about part way. If it starts easier that way, you know it flooded a little.

If you fix it, you don't have to worry about turning off the gas. The vacuum design works as intended

:scratch:

Heat does not build in the motor once the motor is shut off.