March 28, 2024, 07:35:09 AM

News:

1974 XLCH with 6800miles

Started by sharkoilfield, May 30, 2015, 07:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Racepres

I dislike "restored" almost as much as I dislike "Made it my own"
I much prefer "Period Correct" no shiny new ~ chrome Thanks...
But... it is your Bike

JW113

Not sure what you mean. Sending factory chromed parts out to be re-chromed to be like factory new condition is not unfair. Having it repainted by a local painter to original paint scheme is not unfair. Taking aluminum parts to the buffing wheel to shine up like new is not unfair. Is it? I get it, some people like the so-called "survivors", that have managed to make it through decades of use and neglect, and look like total trash. But in my case, I can't have anything that doesn't look showroom floor in my shop. I want this old iron to look and function as good (or better) in 100 years as it did the day it was made.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

sharkoilfield

I'm not a fan of the "as found after only 45 years in the barn" look either.
I certainly appreciate "period correct" personalization, too.  I'm not going to do anything irreversible.  Someone put the later twin-disc front end on this bike back then; it's a period correct modification to me. I think I'm just gonna clean it up as required, re-paint the black, make sure the motor is running good and enjoy fiddling with it. But boy; the prices these are fetching in Japan right now...wow!

Racepres

Quote from: JW113 on May 23, 2020, 06:13:10 PM
Not sure what you mean. Sending factory chromed parts out to be re-chromed to be like factory new condition is not unfair. Having it repainted by a local painter to original paint scheme is not unfair. Taking aluminum parts to the buffing wheel to shine up like new is not unfair. Is it? I get it, some people like the so-called "survivors", that have managed to make it through decades of use and neglect, and look like total trash. But in my case, I can't have anything that doesn't look showroom floor in my shop. I want this old iron to look and function as good (or better) in 100 years as it did the day it was made.

-JW
Not what I said... I specifically ruled out ~ Chrome...Would like to know where you are getting Parts Chromed Stateside tho..

sharkoilfield

May 24, 2020, 08:33:55 AM #154 Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 08:38:29 AM by sharkoilfield
We can still get chrome plating done in Canada, but it's terrible expensive. My exhaust is a little rough but to re-chrome is about $85 USD per FOOT. I'd be better to find NOS or clean used on eBay. Mine are 1-piece, stock looking tapered; are they aftermarket?

Ohio HD

Factory exhaust had slip on mufflers, and the head pipes were connected with a cross over pipe.

JW113

We have several chrome plating shops in the bay area. The last two I used were High Luster in Hayward and The Best Chrome in San Martin. As stated, it ain't cheap no more.

-JW

sharkoilfield

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 24, 2020, 09:00:39 AM
Factory exhaust had slip on mufflers, and the head pipes were connected with a cross over pipe.
My 1974 brochure shows no crossover. I see these one piece pipes on a lot of old Ironheads; musta been a cheap dealer accessory   

Ohio HD

Here's the parts list.

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

Burnout

Quote from: JW113 on May 24, 2020, 09:06:05 AM
We have several chrome plating shops in the bay area. The last two I used were High Luster in Hayward and The Best Chrome in San Martin. As stated, it ain't cheap no more.

-JW

It's an ongoing battle with the EPA to remain open.

A friend used to own a chrome shop in LA, He finally gave up after spending more than he profited to satisfy a moving target.
Plating shops are easy targets, low hanging fruit for unreasonable inspectors that can't agree among themselves.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

sharkoilfield

Thanks; I see the crossover exhaust is 75 on

JW113

Quote from: Racepres on May 24, 2020, 07:34:32 AM
Would like to know where you are getting Parts Chromed Stateside tho..

Since we're on the topic....

I just took a left side TC fork slider down to Best Chrome in San Martin. $125. Not cheap, but a set of chromed fork sliders new from HD is $500. So in that respect, a LOT cheaper. I had called Valley Chrome, who is much closer to me, he also gets $125 for a fork slider, but has a minimum charge of $250 to do anything. How that is helping his business cash flow right now is beyond me, he just lost $125.

-JW

Burnout

How much is a new tube from Forks by Frank?

JW113

Good question, I kind of don't recall exactly what he charged for the 1" shorter tubes for my Ironhead. He deals only in cash so no digital record to look up. $200 for the pair I think? I actually ordered and paid for these at his shop in Evanston IL. Quite an experience to see the shop. About as old school machine shop as I've ever seen in my life. Ancient lathes, piles of metal shavings everywhere, and boy what a smell. But the product is top notch quality. No school like old school!!

-JW

sharkoilfield

[attach=0]

What's this hole for?

Burnout

Quote from: sharkoilfield on June 09, 2020, 10:17:10 PM
[attach=0,msg1350541]

What's this hole for?

It's a black hole and it ate your attachment

I use https://postimages.org to host pics

sharkoilfield

[attach=0]

Try again; smaller image

Racepres

June 10, 2020, 03:46:20 PM #167 Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 03:54:42 PM by Racepres
Top rear Motormount
Working on Image..

I think that and the Small flat front cyl motor mount were XLCH only... Can't recall that
Front Motor mount

Burnout

Quote from: sharkoilfield on June 10, 2020, 03:34:00 PM
[attach=0,msg1350604]

Try again; smaller image

Not sure what that is for, not a motor mount though.

That frame should have a single upper mount between the cylinders.

JW113

The early Sportsters up to '76 I think used a mount between the center of the heads. '77 and later they got rid of that bracket on the frame, and put a tube welded above the center of the rear head. That bracket that you are asking about, that is something left over from way back, like a sidecar mount or some crazy crap like that. I can tell you it makes it a real bitch to get the rear head off. I cut it off my bike, and am much happier for it.

[attach=0]

-JW

Racepres

Quote from: JW113 on June 10, 2020, 06:16:34 PM
The early Sportsters up to '76 I think used a mount between the center of the heads. '77 and later they got rid of that bracket on the frame, and put a tube welded above the center of the rear head. That bracket that you are asking about, that is something left over from way back, like a sidecar mount or some crazy crap like that. I can tell you it makes it a real bitch to get the rear head off. I cut it off my bike, and am much happier for it.

[attach=0,msg1350625]

-JW

Again... I think till 1978... but will look I have more than a couple on the Farm..

JW113

Well if you trust the parts manual....

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

My '78 frame has no provision to attach item 34 to top frame, that bracket is not there. As in the picture I posted above, they moved it to just above the rear rocker box, and according to the parts book, starting in '77 for all models. As all things H-D, there was likely some mixture of both types in early '77 until they used up the '76 frames.

[attach=2]

-JW

Racepres

Quote from: JW113 on June 11, 2020, 08:40:20 AM
Well if you trust the parts manual....

[attach=0,msg1350684]

[attach=1,msg1350684]

My '78 frame has no provision to attach item 34 to top frame, that bracket is not there. As in the picture I posted above, they moved it to just above the rear rocker box, and according to the parts book, starting in '77 for all models. As all things H-D, there was likely some mixture of both types in early '77 until they used up the '76 frames.

[attach=2,msg1350684]

-JW

Exactly what I have in the Barn... pre '77's tho, still have provision for the Front/Rear mounts as well as the center..Sadly, no XLCH from pre '77 in the Barn... I feel for some reason I have seen the Front/Rear mounts on pre-77 CH's.
How Old??? Hell... Maybe that '66 that was here awhile back...CRS
but, as i said... the provision is there... so... possibly added?

JW113

Just to make sure we're talking the same lingo...

[attach=0]

A = Front engine mount, where item 35 attaches
B = Center engine mount, where item 34 attaches (57-76) This bracket is not on 77 & later frames
C = Rear engine mount, where item 36 attaches (77 & later) This tube is not on the pre-77 frames
D = This is not an engine mount. Top side is for seat, bottom side is a mount point for side hack; not used for anything, cut it off to make removing rear head easier

-JW

Racepres

Oh... Didn't pay close enough attention.. The above is absolutely Correct based on what is in My Barn..
Tho I did not Physically check if "A" was drilled and tapped!!!