March 28, 2024, 02:33:14 PM

News:

1974 XLCH with 6800miles

Started by sharkoilfield, May 30, 2015, 07:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW113

Very cool. Let us know how they work. I've not tried that set up yet, but have it available in case the O-ring & two part clamp lets me down. I like Jeff's suggestion of using some wraps of teflon tape before clamping it down. I'll give that a try when I put mine back together.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Burnout

Teflon tape is not needed and may cause problems.
Teflon tape is not structurally sound it will not bind and tears easily, actually it cold flows under pressure.
Teflon tape is a lubricant and will spoil any mechanical fixing of the joint by the clamps.
There is nothing wrong with the OEM seals if installed properly and a CARB BRACE is in place (do not run without one).
And not a S&S carb brace that hooks to the manifold, a proper carb brace should be attached to the air filter backing plate.

Intake seals are a maintenance item even on an EVO.
The cylinders move around too much for a solid mounting and the rubber eventually gives up over time.
I think the Orings are better than the rubber bands, but either takes a beating and must be renewed every few years.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Ohio HD

More than one way to do this, but I agree with Burnout. Properly installed and quality OEM "style" parts and the o-ring intake setup works and holds up. The key is to use the stainless aircraft clamps, and a high quality o-ring that resists heat break down. These James are viton and not buna like the OEM. buna dries out sooner and become hard.

https://www.jamesgaskets.com/product/jgi-27060-55-v/

Also the two heads must have the intake ports as close to 60° as possible. I always used a drafting angle to align the heads as I installed them. Still have that same angle in my tool box after 40 years.

Hybredhog

Quote from: Burnout on December 05, 2019, 09:54:05 PM
Teflon tape is not needed and may cause problems.
Teflon tape is not structurally sound it will not bind and tears easily, actually it cold flows under pressure.
Teflon tape is a lubricant and will spoil any mechanical fixing of the joint by the clamps.
There is nothing wrong with the OEM seals if installed properly and a CARB BRACE is in place (do not run without one).
And not a S&S carb brace that hooks to the manifold, a proper carb brace should be attached to the air filter backing plate.

Intake seals are a maintenance item even on an EVO.
The cylinders move around too much for a solid mounting and the rubber eventually gives up over time.
I think the Orings are better than the rubber bands, but either takes a beating and must be renewed every few years.

Well everybody has their opinion, and its been working for me for 30+ years. As mentioned using a 60 degree angle piece gets it close as possible, but rarely are the surfaces ever perfect, and Oring style lips take a beating. Yes just using good Orings & a good bracket system are 90% of the battle. Teflon tape (good chit, not HF crap.),can be sucked into a problem area, not massively, but enough to stop a leak, and lets the clamps slide into their happy place. My shovel's intakes are doing well after 12+ years after the initial install, and using a CV carb. A CV will tell you if something is wrong .
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

tommy g

Quote from: sharkoilfield on November 18, 2019, 09:19:15 PM
What 100 years of hands-on motorcycle experience looks like, giving my XLCH a close inspection. Generator works great, accelerator pump doesn't work at all. Top end sounds good, no exhaust smoke...sure sounds sweet. I'll fix the accelerator pump and install new manifold rubbers before the rookie tries to start it. An exciting project for me; heritage instead of horsepower
Wally is a smart man.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

Racepres

The front may in fact be Low Rider or..1978- '79 Sportster which were also dual disk... the oil tank on an XLCH should be the small Lunch box [not horseshoe] and there was no provision for oil filter... I too have used that Oil cooler/filter housing... but, mounted much lower, as they are messy when ya remove the "cover".
I could ride the "Potty mouth" outta that bike...
My Eldest's '75
http://www.amraonline.com/BikePics/75Sp.jpg
My 1977
http://www.amraonline.com/BikePics/77lft.jpg

If ya need any help somehow...LMK

sharkoilfield

I plan on removing the filter/cooler assembly.  Cooler not required up here and I see it's already kissed the fender.  I like the front motor mount oil filter idea on your '77; looks like my favorite K&N filter, too.  What filter do you use for that application?

Burnout

I'd Leave the cooler on if you are going to run 20-50w.
Easier starting cold and you can still get full protection in the summer.

sharkoilfield

I've actually never run an oil cooler on a motorcycle; even trippin' to Sturgis in 100+ degree heat on my hopped up 103 T-Sport. I won't be going far on this Ironhead; if I do it'll be trailered.  The cooler is so fuggin ugly and I'd rather have the engine mount filter. I don't know if there's different filter setups or are they pretty much the same...also, what filter are they using?

Racepres

Oil Coolers are probably never a necessity... but, I like the Filter in the pseudo cooler... just convenient, and good looking..
nuther reason I mounted mine down low, is so it can't "kiss" the fender... nor make out with any other "parts"!!
I Only use the original K&N [forgot the damn number] or more likely...Wix 51215/NAPA 1215 spin on, oil filters...and darned if I can find the Number right now, of the chrome ones!!!
No Other filter goes in any Harley I own/work on... but none are as new as Twinky either!!! they use a Different filter...

sharkoilfield

That's what else is in our garage; two "Twinkies" and I know they are different filters than the EVO.  I do like the built in nut on the filter for removal.  If they fit all others, as you say, then it must be the EVO filter...I believe the Ironhead is a fairly low pressure oiling system; have no experience with EVO's.

Racepres

Quote from: sharkoilfield on December 15, 2019, 11:12:16 AM
That's what else is in our garage; two "Twinkies" and I know they are different filters than the EVO.  I do like the built in nut on the filter for removal.  If they fit all others, as you say, then it must be the EVO filter...I believe the Ironhead is a fairly low pressure oiling system; have no experience with EVO's.
The 1977+ Ironhead actually has a fairly robust Oiling System..so much so, that the same basic pump is found on the Evo Sportsters...right into the '90's!!!
Filters always strike a "spot" on the internet... suffice to say... Ironhead/Shovelhead/Evo's...everything Except the Twinky...take the same basic oil filter... with no anti-drainback valve... tho on some applications the Thread is different... the filter is basically the same...

sharkoilfield

Well, with accelerator pump working the bike is actually fairly easy to start. Lots of compression; no volunteers from the audience when it's time to stomp the kicker though LOL. Next job will be intake manifold seals, as soon as I have suitable replacements in hand...not a good time of year to get stuff mailed though. What a beautiful sound when running. I made a video and listen to it on my truck speakers via bluetooth, a treat in the middle of winter up here

Ohio HD

sharkoilfield

Can anyone tell me about this gas tank decal? What year is it? Silk screened or water slide or vinyl?
My 2008 FXDF is Denim Black and the 1974 might make a neat "mini-me"

14Frisco

Might be 14007-82.  I think same/similar decal w/ "AMF" in it is 61249-79.

sharkoilfield

Quote from: 14Frisco on December 27, 2019, 02:05:11 PM
Might be 14007-82.  I think same/similar decal w/ "AMF" in it is 61249-79.

Turned out to actually be 05-08; I found a pair of excellent waterslide re-pops...just have to decide if I wanna spend the $

sharkoilfield

Any of you other old timers seen a shifter like this before?
I imagine it's period aftermarket? [attach=0]

Burnout

34602-64 Shifter Lever Assy (heel&toe)  64-70 XLH, XLCH

sharkoilfield

Awesome info; thanks.  Now to find one...

sharkoilfield

January 17, 2020, 07:18:25 PM #70 Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 09:36:26 PM by sharkoilfield
 :hug: [attach=0,msg1330608]

Started to crank on the clutch compressor tool and the plates let go. No need to disassemble...now to get rid of that oil cooler.  Can anybody tell if this is the early or late 1974 clutch from this picture?

Racepres

Looks the same as our '77
But.....

JW113

Looks like a late '74 to '85 style, judging from the lack of spring adjusting nuts on the release disk...

-JW

Racepres

Quote from: JW113 on January 18, 2020, 11:19:57 AM
Looks like a late '74 to '85 style, judging from the lack of spring adjusting nuts on the release disk...

-JW

Right...the "nuts" snug down against Standoffs... no adjustment...

JW113

Yep.

'71 - early '74 style:

[attach=0]

-JW