March 28, 2024, 02:30:49 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1974 XLCH with 6800miles

Started by sharkoilfield, May 30, 2015, 07:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkoilfield

An old acquaintance has a '74 XLCH in his garage; he's the second owner and it's got an honest 6800 miles on it (I've known him for years and can trust what he says) I've been over to kick start it for him a couple times; quite easy if you follow the drill. Now; so far I know it's last year right shift; but I started on BSA's so no biggie for me. Also, bike has a Low Rider front end with the smaller single pot dual discs; looks OK...I also see the HD frame braces (yuck!) All else stock. I tried to buy it in the past; he's now ready to sell...what do the Ironhead experts here think? 

Panzer

Hell, if it runs and only 6800 miles on it, grab it, but then again, what's the price?
6800 miles in 41 years..............hardly broken in.   (Hard to believe  :scratch: )
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

sharkoilfield

Much like a good hunting rifle that's only had a few shots fired in decades...not unheard of. He bought it from a friend many years ago, then simply parked it. We do live in the "sub-arctic" up here in Canada where summer is measured in weeks and he's miles from pavement, too. Eccentric old bachelor; OK guy...
His neighbor has an army surplus 45, too. But, I'm not into that.
I just have no experience with Iron head sporties and I'm sure they require a certain skill set to actually use day to day properly. I've always liked Sporties...first HD was a new '01 883 I had built up to 100HP; was major fun. This will never achieve that kind of performance, I realize, but there's a certain elemental look and feel about it I like; don't want a money pit either...been there, done that

garyajaz

1/2 the battle is won.  you been starting it for him...lol.
get it,
good to hear of someone keeping the old iron alive.
it will be fun...

Racepres

But it is only sort of the last year right side shift...as the 75-76 was actually a right side shift "modified" by Rube Goldberg, to shift on the left...before the first true left side shift in '77.

sharkoilfield

[attach=0]

Got it...3900 miles, documented to my satisfaction. Now I'll have a winter project and a unique summer cruiser

tommy g

I look forward to seeing that around.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

Breeze

That picture just makes me feel that the speedo cable broke @ 6800 miles. Messy cable routing, just my feeling.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

sharkoilfield

Quote from: Breeze on October 02, 2019, 04:08:46 AM
That picture just makes me feel that the speedo cable broke @ 6800 miles. Messy cable routing, just my feeling.
No; 3900 miles. I've known the owner for around 20 years. Totally legit in my mind; saw his original bill of sale too. I've no intention of "flipping" it so no further proof needed for anyone else. Off work Thursday; will clean it up and call the only mechanic I know who's worked on these when they were new.

Next step is a battery and he said to "polarize" the generator.  Got old Haynes and Clymer manuals; he says instructions are in them

Ohio HD

Wow, it's been a lot of years since I polarized a generator. Reading that brought a smile to my face.

Don't get surprised, you will see a spark when you do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riGlBopUmEM

JW113

Yes indeed! Looking forward to the next pics of it after you've polished it up a bit.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

sharkoilfield

Done CPIC search (nationwide stolen reports: neg) and provincial search (no liens)
Registration in my name complete (required insurance; cost $62 Cdn for 10 months; term of my other bikes expires then. That's about $46.50 USD).  NOW I'll wash and buff it up...pic to follow

FSG

QuoteNOW I'll wash and buff it up...pic to follow

well you know what they say ............ 

.....   when I owned an '82 Iron Head I just said "f@@kem"   :SM:    :chop:

sharkoilfield

[attach=0]
Was it ancient grime or garage makeup covering zits?  LOL

sharkoilfield

I spy:
fork lower legs, brake rotors and wheel from a period Low Rider
aftermarket oil cooler with internal filter
16" Lester rear mag
I need:
battery
front brakes
seat

Let the fun continue

Ohio HD

Those oil lines are broadly dry and brittle, they're running right past the cylinders. I'd put them high on the list.

sharkoilfield

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 03, 2019, 05:20:28 PM
Those oil lines are broadly dry and brittle, they're running right past the cylinders. I'd put them high on the list.

Good point; I'll probably remove the oil cooler altogether

Ohio HD

I ran those old Drag Specialties coolers on a few old Shovels because they have a filter in them. These were old Shovel Pans that had the horseshoe oil tank and no filter. Even if you mounted it out of sight, the filter is a benefit.

PBSTN

Great looking bike. Love the mag wheels. Might need a better seat though.
2010 flhr. 2003 FLHRSEI2. 1986 SUZUKI GS1150E.

JW113

Wow, that cleaned up great! Agree with the oil cooler, probably not that much need up there in Canada eh? Keep the pics coming as you make progress on it.
:up:

-JW

Pete_Vit

Quote from: JW113 on October 04, 2019, 09:19:19 AM
Wow, that cleaned up great! Agree with the oil cooler, probably not that much need up there in Canada eh? Keep the pics coming as you make progress on it.
:up:

-JW
:agree: nice before and after have fun with it, and yeah, keep the posts and pix comming
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

sharkoilfield

Had a couple beers with some HD mechanics last night; now we're gonna have a "start the Ironhead" garage party at my place soon.  A couple of the young fellas have never kick started a motorcycle...this is gonna be interesting!

Hossamania

Quote from: sharkoilfield on October 05, 2019, 05:36:33 PM
Had a couple beers with some HD mechanics last night; now we're gonna have a "start the Ironhead" garage party at my place soon.  A couple of the young fellas have never kick started a motorcycle...this is gonna be interesting!

That really sounds like a good time! A bunch of guys looking around it, pointing, "what if...?", "how about...?" , "I think...?"
More beer, more kicking, much cheering when it fires!
Good luck, have fun with it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

JW113

Yeah, and after the second 12 pack and a lot of foul language, it gets rolled out into the street and a small contingent tries to push start it. Now where have I heard that before?
:hyst:

Sounds like a party to me!

-JW