March 28, 2024, 02:20:15 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1974 XLCH with 6800miles

Started by sharkoilfield, May 30, 2015, 07:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burnout

Yep its the difference between needing all 4 fingers on the lever, or only needing two.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

JW113

The Harley-Davidson engineers, in their infinite wisdom, believe that you should have a grip like Arnold Schwarzenegger to be able to slow down a motorcycle. I believe this was their idea of "anti-lock brakes". UNLIKE all of the Japanese motorcycle engineers believe. (and Erik Buell) Notice that most Japanese bikes built past 1980 or so require a slight squeeze with the little finger to do a stoppie.

I have a single disk master cylinder (9/16") on my dual disk Road King. It works great. No worries about too much lever travel, not even a consideration. Keep in mind that liquids are essentially "incompressible". So whether single disk or dual disk, there is not much brake fluid flowing when you pull the lever. You're simply pressurizing the system. The brake pads don't really retract when you are not applying the brakes, so there is really not much movement when you do.

My opinion is you'll likely have better feel to the brakes with a single disk 5/8" master cylinder than with the stock-for-dual-disk 3/4" master cylinder. Suggest to leave it as is, and do something later if there is an issue.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Ohio HD

Quote from: JW113 on March 13, 2020, 04:10:28 PM
The Harley-Davidson engineers, in their infinite wisdom, believe that you should have a grip like Arnold Schwarzenegger to be able to slow down a motorcycle. I believe this was their idea of "anti-lock brakes". UNLIKE all of the Japanese motorcycle engineers believe. (and Erik Buell) Notice that most Japanese bikes built past 1980 or so require a slight squeeze with the little finger to do a stoppie.

I have a single disk master cylinder (9/16") on my dual disk Road King. It works great. No worries about too much lever travel, not even a consideration. Keep in mind that liquids are essentially "incompressible". So whether single disk or dual disk, there is not much brake fluid flowing when you pull the lever. You're simply pressurizing the system. The brake pads don't really retract when you are not applying the brakes, so there is really not much movement when you do.

My opinion is you'll likely have better feel to the brakes with a single disk 5/8" master cylinder than with the stock-for-dual-disk 3/4" master cylinder. Suggest to leave it as is, and do something later if there is an issue.

-JW

:agree:

drifter

For what it is worth, I agree with JW113.  Back 20 something years ago when I got my Pan (in a 1981 FXE frame and dual disc front end) I followed some advice and put a GMA 3/4 inch front master cylinder on to handle the front brakes.  The master that came on it needed work.  I have never been happy with the amount of pressure needed to stop, not possible to lock them up.  I should change it, just need ambition and extra money. 

sharkoilfield

I'll re-furbish existing front brake system before I change master cylinder. Thanks

On the topic of intake sealing; how about industrial SS T bolt clamps? Will the nylock melt?
And, o-rings or a piece of silicone hose?? [attach=0]

Racepres

Quote from: sharkoilfield on March 15, 2020, 03:36:19 PM
I'll re-furbish existing front brake system before I change master cylinder. Thanks

On the topic of intake sealing; how about industrial SS T bolt clamps? Will the nylock melt?
And, o-rings or a piece of silicone hose?? [attach=0,msg1337233]

Only use what was OE here... save yerself a headache!!!
'74 should be O-rings.. make sure you use the solid clamp... Not the "split" clamp as it is for Rubberbands...
Do Not over tighten [either style]... tho the o-ring will handle that better... I have Never had a problem with O.E. Clamps... ugly as they are!!!! But there are numerous "solutions" to a non-existant problem....

Ohio HD

The old standard aircraft stainless clamps never failed me. You can almost pick up the motor with the intake when these are tightened down.

https://www.dragspecialties.com/products/?productId=228990&partNumber=10130043

JW113

Gotta love DS. I usually do a little research before buying off the shelf hardware from them, though.

https://www.amazon.com/HPS-Stainless-Steel-T-Bolt-Clamp/dp/B0058W7UZ8

-JW

sharkoilfield

March 17, 2020, 01:23:04 PM #108 Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 01:53:00 PM by Ohio HD
 [attach=0,msg1337534]

That's looking better! (To me, anyhow...)

sharkoilfield

[attach=0]
Anyone know what filter this vintage cooler took? I've removed it from my XLCH and will likely eBay it, but it would probably be nicer with a new filter. Also hate to sell/ship with a used filter in it

Ohio HD

If it's a Drag Specialties model, they just used the OEM HD drop in filter cartridges.

https://www2.vtwinmfg.com/perf-form-oil-filter-unit.html

Racepres

Quote from: sharkoilfield on March 18, 2020, 06:51:20 PM
[attach=0,msg1337738]
Anyone know what filter this vintage cooler took? I've removed it from my XLCH and will likely eBay it, but it would probably be nicer with a new filter. Also hate to sell/ship with a used filter in it
Yep the OE filter or the Perform as well maybe... I don't recall...that last... I have more than one of those still... One on an XLCH [came without Filter at all] and one on a Chopper... The Only oil cooler I consider Worthwhile...mostly because it doubles as a filter housing!!!!!

sharkoilfield

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 18, 2020, 07:05:43 PM
If it's a Drag Specialties model, they just used the OEM HD drop in filter cartridges.

https://www2.vtwinmfg.com/perf-form-oil-filter-unit.html

It's a DS allright, but takes a different filter than the one in your post. I'm putting in a DS order tomorrow (Monday)
Thanks for the lead; it only makes sense they would design around an existing, easy to get filter if it was available.

Ohio HD

It probably originally used the solid fiber filters, the brown colored filters. I haven't seen one of them for years. What I posted is the replacement when used in the OEM oil tank.

Pretty sure I remember reading that had asbestos in them. Hence they're not around now.   63840-53

[attach=0,msg1338321]

These are maybe the only available replacements.

[attach=1,msg1338321]

Racepres

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 22, 2020, 01:11:27 PM
It probably originally used the solid fiber filters, the brown colored filters. I haven't seen one of them for years. What I posted is the replacement when used in the OEM oil tank.

Pretty sure I remember reading that had asbestos in them. Hence they're not around now.   63840-53

[attach=0,msg1338321]

These are maybe the only available replacements.

[attach=1,msg1338321]

Correct on Both Counts... again... been using one for at least 35 years!!!

sharkoilfield

Well; Drag Specialties has the filter and a few other pieces I need on the shelf in Calgary.  I'll have it all in hand in a couple days and some work to do on days off

sharkoilfield

[attach=0]
Received this filter from DS. Wrong...
Box was marked with misleading part #'s; if the parts guy would've opened it for a visual confirmation, he'd have seen that.  Oh welll...waiting on eBay now

Racepres

There is bound to be a 4-speed Shovel guy or a Kidney tank XLH owner in yer Neighborhood!!!!!

sharkoilfield

[attach=0]
This is my neighborhood right now

Racepres

Slightly remote from that angle... and I can't believe ya gots that much Snow still... ours is essentially gone..
Somebody around has an Ironhead or a Shovelhead just the same... Bets??

Ohio HD

Pretty sure that he's pretty far north in one of the Canadian oilfields.

Burnout

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

JW113

Hossamania

Quote from: JW113 on March 28, 2020, 09:38:30 PM
Ice? What is that?

-JW

Ice is the cruel joke Nature plays on us up here every year. Looks so cool, sucks so bad. I don't much care for her half the year.
Ice does make for some fun motorsport racing though.
Sorry, got off tech here, I don't want to derail this thread.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

sharkoilfield

[attach=0]

Local ice racing team. Cold, brutal sport. They ran a 24hr race on a local frozen slough.  I got invited to ride a 750 Norton; but being self-employed, the "consequence of error" is too financially grave.