May 08, 2024, 08:55:54 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Dual Sport Sportster

Started by wayzalot, April 17, 2015, 06:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayzalot

I have been getting a little bored riding the straight roads in west central MN.  Want to get a bike to take to northern MN to the trails.  Thinking about taking a sportster and making a dual sport.  I have seen some that had extended swing arms, long travel shocks and front forks off a KTM or other dirt bike type forks.  Thinking it should be chain drive to stand up to gravel.  Not sure if I need to go to the extent of a longer swing arm, just a good pair of shocks.  Strip the steel fenders etc off and use plastic dirt bike fenders.  Possibly a larger aluminum or plastic tank.  Dirt bike type bars and mildly aggressive tires.    Any ideas or pictures would be greatly appreciated.  Or just buy a KLR 650.
"My life is based on a true story"

Clayster

If it were me, I'd be looking for a Buell Ulysses or maybe just get the kwaksaki..

WhipLash96

Quote from: wayzalot on April 17, 2015, 06:17:03 PM
I have been getting a little bored riding the straight roads in west central MN.  Want to get a bike to take to northern MN to the trails.  Thinking about taking a sportster and making a dual sport.  I have seen some that had extended swing arms, long travel shocks and front forks off a KTM or other dirt bike type forks.  Thinking it should be chain drive to stand up to gravel.  Not sure if I need to go to the extent of a longer swing arm, just a good pair of shocks.  Strip the steel fenders etc off and use plastic dirt bike fenders.  Possibly a larger aluminum or plastic tank.  Dirt bike type bars and mildly aggressive tires.    Any ideas or pictures would be greatly appreciated.  Or just buy a KLR 650.
Welcome from Minnesota. Where do you reside?
Thanks,
Whip

PC_Hater

There are pictures of Sportsters modified for trail use on the internet - a remarkably silly thing to do if you ask me so I am all for it!
Meanwhile, depending on what those trails you want to ride are like a KLR250 or similar would be a much better idea.
I had a KLR650, and before I had it, umm, 'extensively modified' I did take it out on a very easy trail. I dropped it when I put my left foot down and there was a hole instead of solid ground. Could I pick the bike up? No. I had to wait until another biker came along to help me pick it up! 
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

wayzalot

Quote from: WhipLash96 on April 23, 2015, 10:28:27 AM
Welcome from Minnesota. Where do you reside?
I live in Ortonville MN.  Looking for a bike that I can jump on and ride up to Park Rapids or Blackhills and ride the trails.  Getting board with the straight roads.  I want a bike that will go down the highway OK but handles the dirt nicely.  Would want a windshield and bags.  That is why I am thinking of looking for a slightly damaged sporty and put a dirt bike type forks on the front and good shocks  on the back.   Aggressive street/dirt tires.  Plastic fenders and light weight 4 gallon + tank and loose as much weight on the bike as possible.  I currently ride an Ultra Classic that is why I have adopted the name Wayzalot.  Its not me, its the bike.  I am 6'0" tall and weight 210.  58 years old so I wont be doing any motorcross just want to get out on the fire trails and have some fun.

WhipLash96

Cool. I am in Hutchinson. Can't help with the other stuff. Good luck.
Thanks,
Whip

codyshop

Get a Triumph Tiger.  Great bike, and they've helped us in every war we've fought for almost 150 years. 

wayzalot

Triumph Tiger is a nice bike but finances are short.  I can get an older low mileage sportster with bad paint and seat and build a torguey little dual sport bike that would be fun.  I am pretty sure I can hurt myself with that.  :doh:  Just something I have been dreaming about for a few years and probably have to do it just to get it out of my system.  Right now I have a KLR 650 and its a nice trail bike.

Hossamania

I think if you have access to a good cheap donor bike to start, and know where you can score decent parts that are cheap, and you have the skills and tools to do some custom work, that you should absolutely give it a try.
Your time invested will be a bit. The money invested could start to grow pretty quickly. Unless this is something you or your friends are used to doing. And reliability may become a factor.
What is your budget? I'm not trying to talk you out of it, because it sounds pretty cool, just looking at the project as a whole.
Harley actually made a factory dirt bike using a Sportster motor. It was huge by dirt bike standards, and looked heavy, but pretty cool too.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

June 16, 2015, 11:28:05 PM #9 Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 11:30:20 PM by Hossamania
I tried googling it and couldn't find one, but I did see it for sale at St. Paul Harley at one point. It may have been an aftermarket conversion, either for Harley or independent.
There is a guy with a shop in St. Paul called Bear, also the name of his shop I believe, that had one. Knowing him, he probably still has it. Might be worth a shot to give him a call.

Bear's Place
651-771-7873

oldhippie

While I have rode dirt on about everything including my old sporty. Even In the old days when triumph 650/500 were dirt bikes very few folks dirted  Sportys. Not saying it can't be done but even old Honda 350 scrambler would be a better choice. Lots of used dual sports out there. I had a hot rodded Drz400s that was a blast on and off road...

wayzalot

Quote from: Hossamania on June 16, 2015, 11:17:19 PM
I think if you have access to a good cheap donor bike to start, and know where you can score decent parts that are cheap, and you have the skills and tools to do some custom work, that you should absolutely give it a try.
Your time invested will be a bit. The money invested could start to grow pretty quickly. Unless this is something you or your friends are used to doing. And reliability may become a factor.
What is your budget? I'm not trying to talk you out of it, because it sounds pretty cool, just looking at the project as a whole.
Harley actually made a factory dirt bike using a Sportster motor. It was huge by dirt bike standards, and looked heavy, but pretty cool too.

Hoss,  I know what you mean.  I get these ideas in my head and process them for a while.  I love my 650 KLR for dirt and the wife now has a DR650 Suzuki.   They are a blast. Started really putting numbers and hours to my sportster idea and it doesn't look as feasible (at least until I retire) then I might do it just for a project.  I hate to admit I have a large two car shop full of 1/2 started projects.  But life is good. My two sons are in there mid 20's and both are not afraid to dig into project and do things.  They both know how to do a little research and then tackle projects. Proud of those boys.  And I thought they weren't paying attention when they were younger when I built a panel truck from the frame up with a mustang II suspension and 351 Windsor motor, power steering , disc brakes, etc.  Took 2 years and they did help. Plus numerous  bike projects and house upgrades.  What I was really building was memories and two boys who know how to tackle almost anything you can throw at them.

Hossamania

Good on you and them.
Hope your Father's Day was great!