April 27, 2024, 09:48:24 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

splines in clutch hub

Started by zoot, June 30, 2015, 11:02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoot

What would be causing the splines at the end of the clutch hub to break? I was replacing clutch spring and inspecting the disk I noticed a movement in the hub while still bolted up . took it off and found this along with a bad hub bearing

rbabos

Main shaft torsion effect causes the weaker hub spline area to yield first at the end. Fairly common. A better steel is needed in the hub.
Ron

zoot

June 30, 2015, 11:29:18 AM #2 Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 11:47:05 AM by zoot
Thanks Ron   That sucks   what do the guys do thats running power. My bike just has a 204 cam. it wasn't there till after I put the SE clutch pack in. I guess a little clutch slipping had some advantage.  Newton's Third Law using Harley's for test subject.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: rbabos on June 30, 2015, 11:14:04 AM
Main shaft torsion effect causes the weaker hub spline area to yield first at the end. Fairly common. A better steel is needed in the hub.
Ron

I'd sat it was from crappy fit.. Splines on the shaft don't fit into the valleys of the hub..  I've seen tons of splines jab bikes that don't wear out..  Many only use a snap ring to stay in place.. 

zoot

Max hear is the spline pics  kinda hard to see but you can see where it is worn, spread or whatever you call it. probably should be replaced or next hub will do the same. But I am going to run it as is . I got another hub off ebay that looks good. Just run a weak spring and dont hot rod.

rbabos

Quote from: zoot on June 30, 2015, 03:14:55 PM
Max hear is the spline pics  kinda hard to see but you can see where it is worn, spread or whatever you call it. probably should be replaced or next hub will do the same. But I am going to run it as is . I got another hub off ebay that looks good. Just run a weak spring and dont hot rod.
Wow, I did not expect to see damage on the shaft like that. The hub is the sacrificial part, I believe by design. :nix:
Ron

Buffalo

It wouldn't surprise me one bit that the hub is another "powdered metal", cost saving part made in the swamps of the Philiphines, where quality control is sanctioned by bribes and corruption. All for profit margins and paying out the shareholders.
Just another convincing show of the greed rampant at HD IMO. If the bike cost was 10G, and they said it was made in Pakistan or India, maybe we would expect this type of deceit and be happy with these parts, but we should expect and get better from HD!! Made in the USA??   Buffalo

FSG

As Ron said, pretty common and as MAX said crappy shaft. 

Zoot didn't you do a chain conversion to an 06 or 07 Dyna?  The MoCo has a Mainshaft Upgrade Kit for the early 6 speeds which contains the latest mainshaft with the step to prevent the IPB Race from walking.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Buffalo on June 30, 2015, 08:45:55 PM
  It wouldn't surprise me one bit that the hub is another "powdered metal", cost saving part made in the swamps of the Philiphines, where quality control is sanctioned by bribes and corruption. All for profit margins and paying out the shareholders.
Just another convincing show of the greed rampant at HD IMO. If the bike cost was 10G, and they said it was made in Pakistan or India, maybe we would expect this type of deceit and be happy with these parts, but we should expect and get better from HD!! Made in the USA??   Buffalo

I agree completely about manufacturing with substandard intention. It's done every day. But the powdered metal process in its self generally gives you a stronger material based on better distribution of the alloys in the steel. You have less likelihood of softer or harder areas in the finished machined product.

twincam8888

Seems like we replace a clutch hub every other week....along with tranny main bearings, inner primary bearings and compensators. Harley hounds the dealers about providing a world class experience while putting out a second rate product.
But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

rbabos

Quote from: Ohio HD on July 01, 2015, 05:00:53 AM

Quote from: Buffalo on June 30, 2015, 08:45:55 PM

I agree completely about manufacturing with substandard intention. It's done every day. But the powdered metal process in its self generally gives you a stronger material based on better distribution of the alloys in the steel. You have less likelihood of softer or harder areas in the finished machined product.
True. I believe all the sprockets in my softail for crank and balancers were powder. Next to impossible to wear out.
Ron

2006FXDCI

FSG , would you happen to have the part # for that mainshaft upgrade kit ?
2006 Super glide 107" , 2005 electra glide 124"

zoot

Zoot didn't you do a chain conversion to an 06 or 07 Dyna?  The MoCo has a Mainshaft Upgrade Kit for the early 6 speeds which contains the latest mainshaft with the step to prevent the IPB Race from walking.

FSG Yes I did on my 07 Dyna  I have also been using a one peace bearing. It was Peer I got from Zippers. It was a single row ball bearing .When I checked it this time it was ok. I had heard that they would fail and maybe if I had more power it might have.I also took the shields off so the oil would flow through it .Maybe that was the problem for failure leaving the shields on. I did locate a open roller bearing,Hyatt U-1205-TS . It is same size as the one that came out but one piece. I will put this in when things get put back together.

Justpassingas

Quote from: twincam8888 on July 01, 2015, 05:18:39 AM
Seems like we replace a clutch hub every other week....along with tranny main bearings, inner primary bearings and compensators. Harley hounds the dealers about providing a world class experience while putting out a second rate product.

I'm on my second clutch hub along with replacing tranny mainshaft bearings, inner primary bearings, main shaft seal and stator & rotor on an 09 SG with 60k  :angry:
For Duty and Humanity

Ohio HD

When my hub stripped, I bought a Barnett Scorpion. Problem solved, and I was soon to need the higher capacity clutch anyway.

zoot

Quote from: Ohio HD on July 01, 2015, 11:30:26 AM
When my hub stripped, I bought a Barnett Scorpion. Problem solved, and I was soon to need the higher capacity clutch anyway.

on this clutch you use the stock basket and everything else is from barnett ?   Also it read there two sets of springs these are light or heave pressure?  If this is so this might be the way to go.  Sense my impute shaft is not in best of shape a tranny overhall might be instore

Ohio HD

Quote from: zoot on July 01, 2015, 01:48:18 PM

on this clutch you use the stock basket and everything else is from barnett ?   Also it read there two sets of springs these are light or heave pressure?  If this is so this might be the way to go.  Sense my impute shaft is not in best of shape a tranny overhall might be instore

You can use a stock clutch basket, I didn't, I used an Evolution Industries basket. Much heavier duty than stock. The Scorpion kit comes with four sets of springs, mild to "grunt" at he lever. I would dare say if you have only mild or stock power, the clutch is almost overkill, but, it will never wear out. I haven't even needed to adjust it in about 20k miles. And those are not highway cruising miles, lots of shifts and hard launches. 

evo58

Had same problem, the half of splines gone,beside this the whole clutch shell( weights 25 lbs)became unbalanced ,so the primary bearing race were destroyed, i dont know why the hub splines gone.

FSG

July 02, 2015, 01:46:28 AM #18 Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 06:09:26 PM by FSG
Quote from: 2006FXDCI on July 01, 2015, 06:29:16 AMFSG , would you happen to have the part # for that mainshaft upgrade kit ?

Kit Number  35467-06B

6-SPEED TRANSMISSION MAINSHAFT KIT    -J04678

FSG

I like the look of that U-1205-TS (CYLINDRICAL ROLLER BEARING) over the Jims, Baker and other Ball Bearings.

zoot

Quote from: FSG on July 02, 2015, 02:05:39 AM
I like the look of that U-1205-TS (CYLINDRICAL ROLLER BEARING) over the Jims, Baker and other Ball Bearings.

one small drawback  it is about .003 smaller on the 25mm compared to peer or allballs.  But a break cylinder hone took care of that.

Admiral Akbar

So is the hub center on the scorpion cast steel or aluminum?

Ohio HD

Quote from: Max Headflow on July 02, 2015, 07:33:33 AM

The hub is steel.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Ohio HD on July 02, 2015, 07:44:46 AM
Quote from: Max Headflow on July 02, 2015, 07:33:33 AM

The hub is steel.

thanks