May 09, 2024, 07:46:55 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Saddle bags for the Sporty

Started by China twin 88, October 17, 2014, 07:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

China twin 88

Newly purchased Sporty needs some bags for travel and I have found the non-leather version of the "sportster" bags bundled together with back rest and back rest pad and windshield, all moco products. The cost is 6500rmb which is round bout 1000usd. I was wondering if anyone has any after market bags that they favored.  I am not in a hurry to buy and would like to consider all options. 
LMMC/LAMF

scott45acp

The guys over at xlforum.net will have all sorts of opinions on this.

Panzer

October 18, 2014, 06:47:52 AM #2 Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 10:01:19 AM by Panzer
China,
Try:
http://www.leatherup.com/site/rd?satype=1&said=754&pos=20&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.leatherup.com%2Fg%2FThe-Most-Popular-Online-Leather-Store%2F130.html
Click on luggage at the top.

Last year I bought the black pvc bags, they're pretty nice and priced right.
Using bags, there is no room for the passenger to put their feet on the pegs.
When the wife rides, I have to take the bags off.  :emoGroan:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Breeze

No input for brand, but do be careful of size. Oversize bags just look bad on a Sportster.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

China twin 88

Breeze, I really am not partial to saddle bags...that is why I am having a hard time deciding to spend the money. The 883 I picked up is a little different as it was "customized" as the Chinese call it by bolting on a lot of add on's which are way more expensive in China and the deal incl. a number plate (legal bike) even the baby apes would not have been my direction.  however, parts like the performance machine air cleaner drove my choice.  I usually try and buy from a US company or a local or small family or partnered business.  scott45acp, I have recently joined that forum as well, and I did submit a post. 
LMMC/LAMF

Julio

Are you looking for leather or hard bags?
These were less than $40 and took me a couple of hours to make the brackets.
They're Plano gun cases. If you need something bigger, you can get larger Pelican cases.

J

China twin 88

Sweet, and they look practical .... thanks ofr the ideas, I will look around at cases as well.....open to all suggestions and that is pretty good.
LMMC/LAMF

andyxlh

October 19, 2014, 04:57:02 AM #7 Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 05:00:01 AM by andyxlh
Hello mate
I fitted a $50 set of old heritage softail bags to my '89 xlh, they are nice and big, I camped out of them for a couple of months at a stretch at one time so they needed to be! I used the sportster saddlebag supports for throw-over bags for the bottom mount and bolted the top through the fender where the side rail mounts go, with spacers.
[attach=1]
[attachimg=5]
[attachimg=3]
[attach=0]
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

Hossamania

Are there any leather works shops near you?
A local saddlemaker here will build a custom set of bags for any bike or horse.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

China twin 88

Chinese leather leaves a lot to be desired.....although the work is getting better, there is a lack of experience with most craftsmen in China partly due to the breakdown of the trades during the take over in 49....but I am looking into this possibility ....
LMMC/LAMF

soggybottom

vafatboy1

Best looking leather bag Harley ever made are the heritage springer bags. You would have to fab some brackets.

I think boss bags makes a decent knock off. You can also find good deals on eBay once in a while.

jordan1200

I have the rigid mount leather bags on my 99 and they fit well.and look nice. They don't have much room in them and it is made worse by the cut out for the rear shock. If you want more room go for a different bag. I am looking to go bigger in a hard bag.