April 19, 2024, 07:05:20 PM

News:

XLH engine numbers

Started by dr evo1, July 05, 2015, 08:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr evo1

I found a 69 XLCH engine. the guy said he bought it from a dealer in Michigan. I have never seen more then 4 sequential numbers. this engine number has 69xlch xxxxx any ideas.

Breeze

My guess is that as a crate engine, probably sold years after 1969, Harley had made and sold more than 4 digit quantity engines.
Also, from what I know about engine/year code is that odd years, sequence numbers started with odd numbers, even years started with even numbers. If that's true, only 5,000 engines in any year had 4 digits. This is from deep in the back of the old memory bank, so  take it with a couple grains. 
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Racepres

Quote from: Breeze on July 05, 2015, 01:49:31 PM
My guess is that as a crate engine, probably sold years after 1969, Harley had made and sold more than 4 digit quantity engines.
Also, from what I know about engine/year code is that odd years, sequence numbers started with odd numbers, even years started with even numbers. If that's true, only 5,000 engines in any year had 4 digits. This is from deep in the back of the old memory bank, so  take it with a couple grains.

+ 1 :agree:

dr evo1