May 06, 2024, 03:05:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Lifter adjustment question ?

Started by itsafatboy, September 29, 2015, 12:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsafatboy

Could be dumb question ,

On the lifters say the woods lifters ,  if we adjust to far in hole could it block the oil feed hole on the plunger inside the lifter or restrict it to where no oil going to top end, just wondering, 

r0de_runr

I'm no expert, but I think the problem with adjusting too deep, .200, would be holding the valve open a little once the motor gets heat soaked.  then either a burnt valve seat or bent valve from piston contact.
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

rbabos

Quote from: r0de_runr on September 29, 2015, 12:46:28 PM
I'm no expert, but I think the problem with adjusting too deep, .200, would be holding the valve open a little once the motor gets heat soaked.  then either a burnt valve seat or bent valve from piston contact.
Not really. Clearance increases with heat. Now, blocking the hole if set too deep would be a  :bf: on the designers part.
Ron

itsafatboy

Ya not that deep , say .140 or so , and i know some adjust to that , woods wants .120 to .130 in instructions ,  just wondering on these morel lifters if the inner plunger is different and limits the adjustment, i have not seen what the inside of the woods lifters look like. 

springer82

Unless it has changed from two week ago when I installed a new set of Woods lifters.  Bob recommends between .120 & .140 on preload.  I set mine just over .130.  I tryed putting a pic of his install instructions on but the file was to big.

Don D

itsafatboy

Its going to be his new lifters so i will just do what the instructions say ,  with your pushrods , 24TPI so 3 turns plus a flat should do it,

springer82

Yep,,, the new alpha lifters.  If you go 3 turns and 1 flat that will put you at about .132 in the hole.  They blead down,,, right now with the light weight oil they load them with.  That was a little odd for me.  It turned out great.  Good luck.

rageglide

Quote from: itsafatboy on September 29, 2015, 12:57:57 PM
Ya not that deep , say .140 or so , and i know some adjust to that , woods wants .120 to .130 in instructions ,  just wondering on these morel lifters if the inner plunger is different and limits the adjustment, i have not seen what the inside of the woods lifters look like.

If you think about it, it'd be real bad to shut off the pressurized oil flow into the plunger when you are at full depth.  If the lifter is collapsing you sure wouldn't want to starve it of replenishing oil.