May 07, 2024, 08:57:49 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

interesting read

Started by remmag, July 12, 2015, 07:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clawdog60

Checked front cyl support last night, no witness marks on bolts, shafts are tight in the support, would have to be pressed out or ovened to remove them. I'm not doing any pinning at this time. Noise I'm chasing is out of the cam  chest, interestingly enough with the rocker cover off it's quiet, with just the cam cover off its quiet.

Thumper Buttercup

Quote from: clawdog60 on September 09, 2015, 08:12:06 AM
Checked front cyl support last night, no witness marks on bolts, shafts are tight in the support, would have to be pressed out or ovened to remove them. I'm not doing any pinning at this time. Noise I'm chasing is out of the cam  chest, interestingly enough with the rocker cover off it's quiet, with just the cam cover off its quiet.

clawdog60,

What are you running for heads and valve springs?  What are you running for
a cam plate, oil pump and lifters??

Thanks

Mark
04 Ultra, 95 Cu, 48N, Larry's Heads TTS

clawdog60

Quote from: Thumper Buttercup on September 09, 2015, 09:56:53 AM

clawdog60,

Thanks
DME top end, feuling race plate and pump, 875-1 comp cam lifters, feuling relief spring that came with the plate. smith push rods

Mark

Thumper Buttercup

Quote from: clawdog60 on September 09, 2015, 10:08:09 AM

clawdog60,

Thanks
DME top end, feuling race plate and pump, 875-1 comp cam lifters, feuling relief spring that came with the plate. smith push rods

Mark

OK what cam's and I take it the DME top end are high rate spring pressure springs?
04 Ultra, 95 Cu, 48N, Larry's Heads TTS

clawdog60

Quote from: Thumper Buttercup on September 09, 2015, 10:09:48 AM
Quote from: clawdog60 on September 09, 2015, 10:08:09 AM

clawdog60,

Thanks

Mark

OK what cam's and I take it the DME top end are high rate spring pressure springs?
andrews 31G, yes high rate double sprung, last time I talked to dave he said he installed #325 at 598 peak lift spring rate.

clawdog60

heck I don't know, maybe I need to vent the rocker covers?

No Cents

after changing the set screws to the bottom side of the supports and dimpling the shafts and riding the bike yesterday putting some miles on it I wanted to rest my curiosity and see if the shafts moved any. When I had the supports on the work bench I used a framing square and a sharpie marker and I scribed a straight line down the center of the ends of the shafts and the supports.
To my amazement the lines I scribed were still perfectly in line on the ends of the shafts to the supports on all four shafts...they didn't move.

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Jaycee1964

Just got a set of the Rocker Lockers yesterday.  I also have the Vulcan supports but wasn't into drilling\tapping as it "may" compromise the strength of the supports and this was a very viable alternative.  I'll let you all know how it goes.  I also had the proverbial top end noise from 2500-3500.  Not saying the set screw method isn't viable at all,  Just couldn't see drilling a nice piece out and taking the chance.
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

No Cents

did Vulcan go out of business Jaycee?
I read on here that someone said they shut their doors.

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Jaycee1964

Quote from: No Cents on September 19, 2015, 05:08:13 AM
did Vulcan go out of business Jaycee?
I read on here that someone said they shut their doors.

Ray

:idunno: but I am driving close by their shop today when I'm out for groceries.  I'll stop by and see. 
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

harley_cruiser

Quote from: Jaycee1964 on September 19, 2015, 04:50:54 AM
Just got a set of the Rocker Lockers yesterday.  I also have the Vulcan supports but wasn't into drilling\tapping as it "may" compromise the strength of the supports and this was a very viable alternative.  I'll let you all know how it goes.  I also had the proverbial top end noise from 2500-3500.  Not saying the set screw method isn't viable at all,  Just couldn't see drilling a nice piece out and taking the chance.
Jaycee1964, We have had a few guys have problems installing the first few set that we made, the taper was too large. They were not pulling in all the way causing the lockers to flair at the top and they had to cut off the extra. They still worked since they are plenty long to go past the shaft, but caused a little extra work.
I wanted to make sure that they locked the shaft so I wanted them tight. Of the hundreds of times I installed them I never had any problems, and most guys are not having any problems.
But it is obvious that they were tighter than they needed to be.
We have re-tooled so that the new sets are easier to install, they are still tapered and lock the same, just not as tight.
You can tell the earlier set by my email on the instructions.
Anyone who would like a set of replacement Rocker Lockers just email me your name and address and I will get a set of the replacements in the mail.
Just put replacement as the title.
Autonews2@yahoo.com

Jaycee1964

Quote from: harley_cruiser on September 19, 2015, 06:27:31 AM
Jaycee1964, We have had a few guys have problems installing the first few set that we made, the taper was too large. They were not pulling in all the way causing the lockers to flair at the top and they had to cut off the extra. They still worked since they are plenty long to go past the shaft, but caused a little extra work.
I wanted to make sure that they locked the shaft so I wanted them tight. Of the hundreds of times I installed them I never had any problems, and most guys are not having any problems.
We have re-tooled so that the new sets are easier to install, they are still tapered and lock the same, just not as tight.
Anyone who would like a set of replacement Rocker Lockers just email me your name and address and I will get a set of the replacements in the mail.

Since I just received them I can assume these are the "updated" version  Correct? 

Thanks!

harley_cruiser

Quote from: Jaycee1964 on September 19, 2015, 06:33:51 AM
Quote from: harley_cruiser on September 19, 2015, 06:27:31 AM

Since I just received them I can assume these are the "updated" version  Correct? 

Thanks!
pm sent

Don D

What material are these made out of?

Just Nick

I just spoke with Vulcan a couple weeks back and there was no word of closing
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

harley_cruiser

Soft 02

07 FXST 124" Vee Twin built!
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA