May 09, 2024, 02:47:20 PM

News:

Sudden NO/Low Oil Pressure

Started by BadHabit, July 15, 2015, 03:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

14Frisco

Mine is a 94 FLHR, and yours is a 97 FLHTCU, and maybe the FLH frame changed in that area, but I have had my oil pump off a couple of times without loosing transmission, motor mounts or primary...

BadHabit

Fortunately/unfortunately two weeks prior to the pump failure I had purchased the tools and removed the inner to replace all the inner/outer seals....

Flhfxd

:up:  good deal. Theres no such thing as too many tools.
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

BadHabit

I'll keep you updated. Thanks for sticking by me on this....Doing all this after knee surgery 1 1/2 weeks ago...

BadHabit

Well...got pump off and see no damage...all keys present...took all  oil lines off and blew them out....hoses didn't look collapsed but new ones will be going on....blew out all vent, supply and return lines on oil tank....blew out all passages on oil pump side of engine case....new pump going on soon....WTF am I missing?

Flhfxd

All keys present includes the one in the cam chest? Thats the one that drives the whole works of the pump.

mr. pitts

O.K. Longshot time. Have you changed the oil filter? I wonder if you have a bad one fitted. I run a '96 Electra & at the last oil change, I fitted a PROPER evo oil filter. The oil pressure went up by a country mile when used with moco oil. Was it the filter, the oil, or both? I care not, I'm just happy with the results. :bike:

BadHabit

Well if I try and turn the oil pump shaft from outside the crankcase the drive gear moves with it albeit a very small amount because it attaches to the crank. That means the key is still attached correct? Also yes I did change the filter.

Flhfxd

July 24, 2015, 05:39:50 AM #33 Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 05:44:22 AM by Flhfxd
Yes. If the pinion spins the oil pump drive gear when the motor turns over then your pump gears should be rotating. Bit of a long shot.... but
there is a tiny circlip on the end of the pump shaft inside the gear case. I suppose if this is missing then the driven gear could move in and out while still on the shaft thereby causing your trouble???   :scratch:   How's the knee?

BadHabit

July 24, 2015, 12:33:49 PM #34 Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 01:39:22 PM by BadHabit
Circlip is still on... Did notice I was using a long version  (51214 vs 51215) of the wix standard evo filter. Specs out the same but without a anti drain back valve...Don't think that should cause my problem but one more thing to cross off...stopping today to get correct filter. Knee is doing better still can't bend much...thanks for the concern :-)

Ajayrk

Quote from: BadHabit on July 24, 2015, 03:04:54 AM
Well if I try and turn the oil pump shaft from outside the crankcase the drive gear moves with it albeit a very small amount because it attaches to the crank. That means the key is still attached correct? Also yes I did change the filter.

The drive key can shear, cause enough galling that the gear is lightly stuck to the shaft.  Nose cone has to come off, remove snap ring with right angle snap ring pliers.  Pull shaft out.  May have to deburr shaft near the gear snap ring
groove.
AJ

BadHabit

Well got the clip off finally but the key was intact.....

BadHabit

Well any tips for getting the clip back on the oil pump shaft? The pinion gear is in the way making this a bitch!  Almost lost the clip several times already.......

Flhfxd

Thats the one I referred to in an earlier reply. Get yourself several clips and then try to get one on the shaft with the least amount of "stretch" possible so it stays tight. Its a bitch. Someone mentioned 90 deg pliers but it hardly seems like theres space enuff!

BadHabit

Any issues if I just remove the nut and pinion gear to give myself more room? Manual makes it look pretty straight forward. Reverse threads on the nut and gear comes off?  Also need to mark shaft to make sure to re install gear in same spot.?...

Flhfxd

Should work. It'll still be a bitch though. Pinion gear is notched so it will only go on one way BUT....it is possible to get it backwards so take note of orientation before you remove it.

Flhfxd

Still wondering why pump output went south on ya though ....pump internal parts all ok? Has any work been done on it prior to this event?

Ajayrk

You can use a small screw driver, hook one side then work the snap ring around in to the groove.
AJ

BadHabit

Alright clip is on!:) still didn't find anything that stood out...but I know a new tp engineering oil pump is going on along with all new hoses....oil tank and engine oil pump passageways are clean...

Ajayrk

AJ

Flhfxd

That oughta do it. Let us know how it works out.

BadHabit

Pump is on. Working on oil lines. Question is this.......is #17,20 and 1 needed in pic? Or can I just attach hose to fittings that came with pump to the steel line #19

BadHabit

Here is the connection diagram from TP engineering....

Flhfxd

I think I understand your question, and I think you should follow what the manual says. That way you will have the best chance to minimize oil leaks.

BadHabit

shes up and running with good oil pressure...not sure what was the problem but shes fine now...Thanks for all the help :smile: