May 09, 2024, 07:24:48 AM

News:

Altitude Issues

Started by Onthefence, August 01, 2015, 05:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLTRI

Sorry for the misunderstanding Ron. I guess my lack of on road experience with Vrods have me treating it like any other engine.
Here's a loaded question for you:
What KPA do you see on your Vrod at 5% throttle?
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

whittlebeast

Here you go Bob.  It took me about 3 min to get the answer you were asking for.

http://www.nbs-stl.com/HarleyTuning/VrodTps5.png

For the people that have MLVHD, here is the filter I used.

[TPS]>6 or [TPS]<4

Have fun tuning

Andy
Dynos are great for getting the motor close enough to get on the data loggers.

FLTRI

Quote from: whittlebeast on October 09, 2015, 01:08:23 PM
Here you go Bob.  It took me about 3 min to get the answer you were asking for...
Have fun tuning

Andy
Sorry Andy, can you go ahead and answer the question?
"What KPA do you see on your Vrod at 5% throttle?"
Thanks,
Bob

whittlebeast

That is the answer.  Do I need to go back to how to read a scatter plot?  Try asking Steve as I am fairly sure he has a fairly solid understanding of them.

rbabos

October 09, 2015, 01:47:01 PM #154 Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 01:50:39 PM by rbabos
Quote from: FLTRI on October 09, 2015, 12:09:40 PM
Sorry for the misunderstanding Ron. I guess my lack of on road experience with Vrods have me treating it like any other engine.
Bob
Unless you can give me an average situation in operation, I can see 10.3-100kpa (98 actual) at 5%. :wink:
Ron

hrdtail78

Quote from: rbabos on October 09, 2015, 01:47:01 PM

Unless you can give me an average situation in operation, I can see 10.3-100kpa (98 actual) at 5%. :wink:
Ron

What altitude are you at?  I didn't think you were at a high altitude.   I would try and get the Cam tune feature for vision turned on and adjust that.
Semper Fi

whittlebeast

He would have to be near idle at near sea level to get to 98 KPA at 5% throttle.  And I bet the throttles needs to be fairly large.

FLTRI

Quote from: whittlebeast on October 09, 2015, 01:43:27 PM
That is the answer.  Do I need to go back to how to read a scatter plot?  Try asking Steve as I am fairly sure he has a fairly solid understanding of them.
So again, no answer. I need to get the answer from someone else?
Bob

FLTRI

Bob
Ron
How about steady state cruise at 75mph? 5th gear flat level ground without wind. What is the kpa/tp? Should be about 20kpa @ 5% throttle right?
Bob

whittlebeast

On the VRod log I was looking at his motor was holding 75 MPH at 11% throttle at 42 KPA.  I have no idea if the road was level....

Try popping any Power Vision on any VRod and jump on the highway.  It is right on the screen.  No logging required.

On a VRod, the vast majority of time is spent below 5.6% throttle.  You are going to have to trust me on that one because I can't prove it without math or pretty pictures.

Andy

rbabos

October 09, 2015, 02:55:35 PM #160 Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 03:23:22 PM by rbabos
Quote from: hrdtail78 on October 09, 2015, 02:12:27 PM

Ron

What altitude are you at?  I didn't think you were at a high altitude.   I would try and get the Cam tune feature for vision turned on and adjust that.
1040 where I live. Just checked the PV a few minutes ago. 98.13
Ron

rbabos

Quote from: whittlebeast on October 09, 2015, 02:53:34 PM
On the VRod log I was looking at his motor was holding 75 MPH at 11% throttle at 42 KPA.  I have no idea if the road was level....

Try popping any Power Vision on any VRod and jump on the highway.  It is right on the screen.  No logging required.

On a VRod, the vast majority of time is spent below 5.6% throttle.  You are going to have to trust me on that one because I can't prove it without math or pretty pictures.

Andy
Sounds about right. Did I send you a log at some point? :scratch:
Ron

whittlebeast

A few people have sent me VRod logs over the last few weeks.  I just grabbed one.  It was named log0004.csv at 1.2 meg

rbabos

October 09, 2015, 03:03:55 PM #163 Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 04:02:20 PM by rbabos
Quote from: FLTRI on October 09, 2015, 02:39:43 PM
Ron
How about steady state cruise at 75mph? 5th gear flat level ground without wind. What is the kpa/tp? Should be about 20kpa @ 5% throttle right?
Bob
Very poor guess on your part.
What Andy reported in one of his logs seems close to what I remember.
I have a log of mine here showing 70mph for long enough to trust the figures. 10% TPS, 36.5 KPA at 5150 rpms.
Ron

FLTRI

Damn Ron, I thought ought you said you cruise at 20kpa? Steady state.
Or were you simply stating that you saw 20 during a tail wind while cruising?
Or were you going slightly downhill when you saw 20kpa at cruise.
No guessing involved, :wink:
Bob

hrdtail78

Downshift.   It's a vrod.
Semper Fi

rbabos

Quote from: FLTRI on October 09, 2015, 05:57:45 PM
Damn Ron, I thought ought you said you cruise at 20kpa? Steady state.
Or were you simply stating that you saw 20 during a tail wind while cruising?
Or were you going slightly downhill when you saw 20kpa at cruise.
No guessing involved, :wink:
Bob
I never exactly said I cruised at 20kpa. Your mind went off in a tangent again. I have seen mid 20s in light cruise in the right conditions, strong tail wind being one example but normally it's around 34kpa.
My original statement was regarding tuning the  4-5% tps in rpms between 2500-3500.  In steady state these areas produce mid 20s kpa. This is the area most difficult to dial in due to that reversion crap. I know you know that and are just fkg with me as usual.  :wink:
Ron

rbabos

Quote from: hrdtail78 on October 09, 2015, 06:36:37 PM
That statement makes no sense unless the tune is so bad it runs like crap under 4k. Oh, wait , you just described 99% of all v rod factory tunes. Then I agree with your statement .
Tune it well as you know ,  it will run smooth everywhere .
Ron

FLTRI

Quote from: rbabos on October 09, 2015, 07:13:37 PM
That statement makes no sense unless the tune is so bad it runs like crap under 4k. Oh, wait , you just described 99% of all v rod factory tunes. Then I agree with your statement .
Ron
But you must admit, the engine loves to run over 3500 rpm.  :chop:
You can tune them to run smoothly under 3500 but you can tell it wants to run up above.
In fact they really like over 5000 even more!  :smilep:
A truly stark difference from the big twin. They like to stay below 5000.
Bob

rbabos

Quote from: FLTRI on October 09, 2015, 08:06:15 PM
Quote from: rbabos on October 09, 2015, 07:13:37 PM
Ron
But you must admit, the engine loves to run over 3500 rpm.  :chop:
You can tune them to run smoothly under 3500 but you can tell it wants to run up above.
In fact they really like over 5000 even more!  :smilep:
A truly stark difference from the big twin. They like to stay below 5000.
Bob
True.
Ron

hrdtail78

If you are trying to run a vrod down the road at 25 kpa and have had problems tuning the thing at this cruise.  I would trade it in for a Harley.   Turning every thread into a "tune my vrod for me at a condition they were never made to run at" is never going to get you were you want to go.   It's a muscle, sport bike right?   Quit driving it like an old man.
Semper Fi

MaxxV4

[quoteI have a log of mine here showing 70mph for long enough to trust the figures. 10% TPS, 36.5 KPA at 5150 rpms.][/quote]
Is that in 4th gear? 5150 @ 70 mph is really low gearing. Even my Vmax when it had stock rear end gearing would turn about 5K rpm @ 75 mph (in 5th) and it was geared really short. I guess in any case, it doesn't make a difference what gear you are using if you are trying to find out what kpa is required vs throttle position @ rpm.