March 28, 2024, 11:12:38 AM

News:

Scatter Plots for Beginners

Started by whittlebeast, August 05, 2015, 07:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whittlebeast

May 04, 2016, 08:10:26 PM #375 Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 08:14:39 PM by whittlebeast
Now the fun parts starts.  How would you build a Harley if you want to get into the 100 HP per liter range where the rice bikes play all the time?  For what it is worth, this motor has an intake length that is close to 12" from intake valve to base of the air filter.

see http://www.bgsoflex.com/intakeln.html

Keep in mind that all this data was collected in about 5 min without a dyno.

Here is the same data shown in Speed Density on the left and Alpha-N in the center

http://www.nbs-stl.com/CRX/CRX%20Autocross%20Scatter%20Plot%202.png

Have fun tuning

Andy
Dynos are great for getting the motor close enough to get on the data loggers.

glens

Quote from: whittlebeast on May 04, 2016, 08:10:26 PM
How would you build a Harley if you want to get into the 100 HP per liter range where the rice bikes play all the time?

I'd shorten the stroke to half what it is, double the number of cylinders, and rev the piss out of it.  Just like the rice bikes do.  But then I'd simply have an inferior rice bike.  I think I'll stick with what works best on a for-the-road bike...

whittlebeast

If you simply don't care, simply don't read.  I enjoy sharing what I learn.

glens

whittlebeast

I think it would be really cool to design a true ITB Harley.  It would not be that tough to design a valiable length setup to see how the motor responded to different length intake tracks.  My bet is you would have to go to true dual exhaust to get things to really work.

Packaging it between the heads would be the big problem.  I wonder if you can do two front heads like the old flat track Sportys.

Andy

TJAH

Quote from: whittlebeast on April 24, 2016, 07:37:05 AM
This is really cool.  Did you ever wonder where you spend most of your time in the VE Map.  This happens to be 7 autocross runs with 3 different drivers.  Data was collected in about 5 min of driving.

http://www.nbs-stl.com/CRX/Autocross%20CRX%20RPM%20MAP%20and%20Time.png

The blue lines are where the motor passed thru the map.

Andy

I'm still trying to figure how to create the blue line from the scatter plot.
I tried moving the mouse over the scatter plot and clicking on the areas
where the AFF is showing blue/rich areas, but my markers (?) don't seem
to show up logically and correspondingly on the histogram/table generator.
Sometimes it's close, the next try is way different than the areas I scanned
with the mouse, feels almost random.

Wouldn't it be a good feature, if you could color the scatter plot area with the mouse
(keep button pressed and shade the area on the plot), and the shaded area would
then appear on the VE table ? Or is there already this feature hidden somewhere ?

Also clicking on the scatter plot keeps chancing the x/y scale every now and then.

Is there a "reset" feature for the blue graph, or is reloading the file the only way to
remove it, to get a Tabula rasa ?

I read this whole 16 page thread, and a lot of good stuff here.
What's puzzling me is, that there are no guides for using this MLV program.
Lot's of data and features are available, but the basic How to's are no where to be found ?
Definitely not for beginners ...

whittlebeast

Regarding the blue line trace.  Right mouse click out in the histogram field and choose <history trace length> and make that number say 5000 and then go near the end of the log to see the last 5000 points.

Control P for Play and Control S for Stop is rather cool.  It plays in real time on most logs.

Andy

TJAH

It's Cool.

But is there a way to plot an area from the scatter plot, i.e. the lean/rich sections,
so that the plotted line/area would show up in the VE table ?
That would make it easy to see the values needing to be adjusted.

whittlebeast

I assume you are saying you want to narrow down the info some on the scatter plot or the histogram.  There are several ways to do that.  On the scatter plot, you can set the nimber of dots to 30 or so and set the verical at the little trace at the bottom of your screen to the point of you want.  The blue line shows where yo were right before.  There are also sliders at the bottom of the screen that you can use to throw out all date except the info you want to look at.

TJAH

I'd like to shade or crop an area from scatter plot so, that the shaded cropped area would
show up on the Histogram/Table generator.

Maybe there's no use for it, I just thought it would be handy.

Wookie3011

Quote from: whittlebeast on September 25, 2015, 05:22:54 AM(abs([RPM] - [RPM-4]) > ([RPM] * 0.10) ) or (abs([TP] - [TP-4]) > 5 )  or (abs([MAP] - [MAP-4]) > ([MAP] * 0.15) ) 

What's the abs tag represent?

Coyote

Pretty sure the math functions are listed in the help file. abs is absolute.

Wookie3011

Quote from: Coyote on July 21, 2022, 06:25:01 AMPretty sure the math functions are listed in the help file. abs is absolute.

Yes, of course you are correct. I didn't make the connection. Thanks