Need help with settings on Sony MEX-M70BT

Started by klammer76, July 09, 2015, 05:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klammer76

I recently installed a SonyMEXM70BT hu in my 2002 flhtc. I also have the biketronics control, amp and two Kenwood speakers. I am no audio guy and need some help with setting up the hu. The MEXM70BT replaced my Sony hu that had the iPod tune tray (DSX-MS60). That unit was easy to navigate and worked well but due to my job and being on call I need a hu that will let me know I am getting a call. On the former unit, I had good sound using the the preset EQ's that were listed as Edge, Gravity etc. You could also adjust the high, low mid settings of each eq preset by + or - setting (ie, +1, +2, 0, -1, -2 etc). The MEXM70BT does not have the former Edge, Gravity etc but lists 10 preset options, R&B, Rock, Pop etc plus a custom option. I feel the sound is off with these settings. I mostly listen to 70's & 80's rock via iPod. I am currently using the Pop setting as the Rock seems hollow and is hard to hear at speed (was not this way with the other hu. The stereo also only seems to let me adjust the Base. Click on sound setting, displays set Base the Band 1- 32Hz, Band 2 - 63Hz, 3- 125Hz, 4-250Hz, 5-500Hz, 6-1KHz, 7-2KHz, 8-4Khz, 9-8Khz, 10-16Khz. If I click on any of those it will then go and let me adjust + or minus Db settings. Doesn't appear to have a way to adjust treble just base and that is all in a langauge foreign to me (hz settings etc). Can anyone help or walk me through this process?

This HU seems to work ok, just the sound is off (to me anyway). The sony stuff can get confusing if a person doesn't understand the eq setting process. Feel free to PM me if anyone can help and I can give a phone number rather than type out a long detailed response.

Thanks,
klammer

klammer76

Gannicus

Klammer - Start from scratch. There is a setting on the HU CAUDIO+ (Clear audio) Turn on this setting and it will clear all of your previous settings and takes you back to the Sony recommended sound settings. These settings sound pretty dam good. Until you get familiarized with the HU I'd suggest starting there.  :)

tdgriff

You can pull your main fuse and reset the hu that way .

klammer76

Thanks for the info, I appreciate the response. I know about resetting the hu (I'll also try the CAUDIO ON). What I'm looking for is someone to explain what the Hz & Khz settings are/mean? How can I take out treble (which I think distorts at higher volume?), what bass settings etc. Doesn't appear to let me adjust high (treble I assume?) Mid (?) and low (Base?). Is that what the Hz & Khz settings are? If I go into the Band 1, Band 2 etc, change a Hz then it will take me to a adjustment for + or - db. Don't understand any of it.

klammer

klammer76

Turned on the CAUDIO yesterday. Seemed better. Don't know if this stereo has more power than my former one but sound seems better if I keep volume setting around 23-25. Sound with current set up gets tinny if up in the 30's at speed. Maybe speakers are starting to go (older Kenwood 5.25's). Also might have to reset the auto volume control of my biketronics control. Think there is some type of auto volume control in the stereo unit as well. Seems to not let me set the volume on my iPone when using iTune off it. On the other Sony devices I always ran iPod etc at max volume then adjusted the volume on the stereo up or down. Still trying to figure it out.

Thanks Gannicus & tdgriff for the help.

klammer

gordonr

I always adjust the low freq (bands 1&2 all the way down and adjust for 3) down under zero. You will find It takes more power from your amp internal or external to hear those freq and your exhaust note from your pipe cancels them out anyway. So cranking the up volume will cause distortion or sound like crap.
"If was easy everyone would do it"

klammer76

Quote from: gordonr on July 12, 2015, 12:06:38 PM
I always adjust the low freq (bands 1&2 all the way down and adjust for 3) down under zero. You will find It takes more power from your amp internal or external to hear those freq and your exhaust note from your pipe cancels them out anyway. So cranking the up volume will cause distortion or sound like crap.
Thanks gordonr

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

my experience with sony head units is 21 -22 is where head unit distortion starts.......

The head unit will not be any louder than the last one as most (not all) head units only output ~ 17 watts per channel for wire connections and 2 volts for RCA.

For the head unit to be more powerful you need one with adjustable gain in the settings like 1-5 volts for rca connections to amp or higher output for line connections.

As far as setting the EQ

Custom is what you want, and when you adjust it, the left side is bass (lows) and the right side is treble (highs). the ones in between are a bit less then the far right or left. So the far left setting is heavy bass, the one next to it is less heavy and the middle is in between bass and treble. The far right very high treble and the one to its left is less treble.

If you kind of understand, what you want is to start with the adjustments all in the middle of the scale then adjust from the middle out left and right one at a time and listen and see what you like. it takes time to get a understanding on what adjustments make what sound, sound better to you.

Also if you are not getting the volume you want the only real way to get it is a more powerful amp.....

I have software setups in my head unit and a 7 band graphic equalizer separate to squeeze the best sound I can....My head unit also has the 1-5 volt RCA out put gain adjustment...Big difference when connected to an amp....but it does not work on am/fm radio...Not sure why but maybe to avoid static and blowing speakers. It works great for usb, cd and aux though.
Member since 2004

klammer76

Quote from: ΚĜΗΟŜΤ on July 16, 2015, 09:41:49 AM
my experience with sony head units is 21 -22 is where head unit distortion starts.......

The head unit will not be any louder than the last one as most (not all) head units only output ~ 17 watts per channel for wire connections and 2 volts for RCA.

For the head unit to be more powerful you need one with adjustable gain in the settings like 1-5 volts for rca connections to amp or higher output for line connections.

As far as setting the EQ

Custom is what you want, and when you adjust it, the left side is bass (lows) and the right side is treble (highs). the ones in between are a bit less then the far right or left. So the far left setting is heavy bass, the one next to it is less heavy and the middle is in between bass and treble. The far right very high treble and the one to its left is less treble.

If you kind of understand, what you want is to start with the adjustments all in the middle of the scale then adjust from the middle out left and right one at a time and listen and see what you like. it takes time to get a understanding on what adjustments make what sound, sound better to you.

Also if you are not getting the volume you want the only real way to get it is a more powerful amp.....

I have software setups in my head unit and a 7 band graphic equalizer separate to squeeze the best sound I can....My head unit also has the 1-5 volt RCA out put gain adjustment...Big difference when connected to an amp....but it does not work on am/fm radio...Not sure why but maybe to avoid static and blowing speakers. It works great for usb, cd and aux though.

Thanks KGHOST,

I have the BT444 75 watt amp. I feel it has worked pretty well. Maybe a 180 watt amp would be better, I don't know. One of my limiting factors is that I have to stay with the 5.25 speakers. I have older Kenwoods that work pretty good (the center tweeter? does touch the speaker grate on both sides). I can't use a larger speaker (wish I could) because I have frenched in LED running/turn signals in my fairing. When I did that back in 2002 I never knew about sound systems and speaker choices etc back then.

I also downloaded the sony app to my phone. Based on you explaining what each adjustment does, the slide scale made it easier to adjust and hear the difference. Thanks for the help.

klammer

klammer76

gordonr,

I follwed the advise you PM'd me. Took the bass out and set the rest as you advised. It made a world of difference in the sound  :up:

Thanks,
klammer

crow

gordonr can you PM me the settings. I have the same Sony..

Thanks
Knees in the Breeze is all I need........:)