April 27, 2024, 06:17:39 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

First time at the drag strip

Started by 2006FXDCI, August 22, 2015, 01:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxxV4

Quotethere is always a line at the bathrooms, right before eliminations  :embarrassed: 

Pun intended???

Durwood

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on August 24, 2015, 04:24:56 PM
Daren , the only thing keeping me away from that track will be work ! Or a broken bike  :SM:
I'll tell ya the same thing I told Jim when he started. Stock up on shoes... :smiled:

2006FXDCI

2006 Super glide 107" , 2005 electra glide 124"

strokerjlk

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on August 24, 2015, 04:22:39 PM
Bob , its a 2005 flht with a crate 124" , HPI 55mm t-body with 6.2 injectors , pro clutch with lockup and a gold spring , boarzilla . It has ohlins 2-2 shocks on the rear . Yes the $25 entry fee will pare in comparison to the college tuition , she started today  :smileo: I was very leary of launching it at any higher than 2000 rpm's , all i could think about was Strokèrs post when he stripped the teeth off his belt ! I had to make sure it could make the trip 100 miles home . It was one of the best nights of my life !
The belt stripped all the teeth off . You could still limp it home . :hyst:
Actually it was my fault . I didn't get the tire wet enough in the water box .
When I eased up to do my burnout , I set the tire right in a sticky spot where the fuel bikes had done their burnout . The tire just grabbed and scooted the front end forward . Stripping the teeth . :embarrassed:
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

joelp34252

Actually, if you run the ET class,you wont have to spend your life savings to be competative. No need to get carried away on the build. I ran my bagger for years with the AHDRA and once the bike was set up,spent very little maintaining it.  Allways rode it to the races, so didnt need tow rig. Some of the most fun I have ever had.

Joel 2001 FLHT

clawdog60

strokerjlk

Quote from: joelp34252 on August 25, 2015, 07:30:57 AM
Actually, if you run the ET class,you wont have to spend your life savings to be competative. No need to get carried away on the build. I ran my bagger for years with the AHDRA and once the bike was set up,spent very little maintaining it.  Allways rode it to the races, so didnt need tow rig. Some of the most fun I have ever had.

Joel 2001 FLHT
:agree:
Anyone can ET race,if they really wanted to .
Even trailering and running the circuit just to run ET class and or a index class or two , can be easy on equipment . I did it all last year. Ran  ET class and SE class ( 11:50 index)
You get a lot of passes and get the chance to go against some of the best racers on the planet .
ET class and sportsman class has some very very good riders . It takes a lot of rounds to get to the semis and finals . A lot of points given out , very competitive.   

2006FXDCI

Jim , can you explain some about the E.T. Class ? I dont really know much about it . I ran in the "run what ya brung" class on friday

Pete_Vit

not Jim...but
What is E.T. Racing?
By far the most popular form of drag racing is a handicapped form of competition known as E.T. bracket racing. In this form of racing, two vehicles of varying performance potentials can race on a potentially even basis. The anticipated elapsed times for each vehicle are compared, and the slower car receives a head start equal to the difference of the two. With this system, virtually any two vehicles can be paired in a competitive drag race.

For Example: Car A has been timed at 17.78, 17.74, and 17.76 seconds on the quarter-mile, and the driver feels that a dial-in of 17.75 is appropriate. Meanwhile, the driver of car B has recorded elapsed times of 15.27, 15.22, and 15.26 on the same track and has opted for a dial-in of 15.25. Accordingly, car A will get a 2.5-second head start against car B when the Christmas Tree counts down to each car's starting green lights.

If both vehicles cover the quarter-mile in exactly the predetermined elapsed time, the win will go to the driver who reacts quickest to the starting signal. That reaction to the starting signal is called reaction time. Both lanes are timed independently of one another, and the clock does not start until the vehicle actually moves. Because of this, a vehicle may sometimes appear to have a mathematical advantage in comparative elapsed times but actually lose the race. This fact makes starting-line reflexes extremely important in drag racing!

93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

strokerjlk

Very good explanation ^^^^
Index racing is where you leave on a pro tree . Both riders at the same time .
You"re both trying to run the same time . For instance the 11:50 class. Both riders are trying to run as close to 11:50 as they can without going faster than 11:50.
Closest to 11:50 wins .
Same for 10.90 ,10.30 .9:90 , 9:30 8:90 class's

Pete_Vit

I went to Maple Grove one year and saw these bracket races (ET) it was really strange to watch....
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Grof

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on August 22, 2015, 01:37:11 PM
Ive been talking about going to my nearest track for awhile now and finally made the trip yesterday to Pittsburgh drag strip in New Alexandria PA . Rode my electra glide down for test and tune night and made 3 passes . First pass was a 12.69 @ 110.38 mph , second pass was a little better 12.45 @ 111 mph . The third pass i hit the rev limiter hard in 3rd gear but still managed 12.49 @ 110.35 mph . I just want to take a minute and thank Jim Kennedy for all his help and guidance in getting me down the track . Youve been more help than you will ever know Jim ! Here are a couple videos from my 1st and 2nd run . Let me know what you guys think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLxAsnCs5g0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwpLjLGNPYc

great run for a heavy ass bike, reading all this posts I think you said it is a 124'' I thought 124'' will run much faster , did you win race vs. this guy with green rice burner ...  tell us more about setup on your bike... tnx

2006FXDCI

Bob , its a 2005 flht with a crate 124" , HPI 55mm t-body with 6.2 injectors , pro clutch with lockup and a gold spring , boarzilla . It has ohlins 2-2 shocks on the rear .
It will most definitely run faster than a 12.4 , remember im a newbie and I had to ride it 100 miles home

pwmorris

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on August 25, 2015, 03:16:57 PM
Bob , its a 2005 flht with a crate 124" , HPI 55mm t-body with 6.2 injectors , pro clutch with lockup and a gold spring , boarzilla . It has ohlins 2-2 shocks on the rear .
It will most definitely run faster than a 12.4 , remember im a newbie and I had to ride it 100 miles home
No doubt, high 11's is in your future...
Man, riding to the track brings back memories. I learned to drag race at LACR (now closed like many other tracks near me) and I would ride there on my FXR about 50 miles, drag it, then ride home back when it was an 11 second bike. Got old though when I started breaking belts, and had to figure out how to get home😡.
Then starter renting a U Haul trailer, then bought a 6x12 enclosed trailer, then finally a full rig.
Yeah, this "Potty mouth" is addicting, and a money sucker too!

Hossamania

I had a low ball stock car for a year, got some friends to sponsor it a bit, even got take off tires from the cop cars, and still spent more time than I could afford.
Some of the most goddamn fun I had! No regrets.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

2006FXDCI

Thanks Paul ! Next time im shooting for my S&S 11 second club patch !

jmorton10

Quote from: rigidthumper on August 24, 2015, 08:23:19 AM
Welcome to the addiction! You can make a small fortune drag racing, and it's easy. Just start out with a large fortune and go racing...

That's what my buddy says about being a pro musician.  He is a phenomenal guitar player (he played with Carlos Santana)

He says it easy to make a million dollars playing jazz guitar.   Just start out with 2 million & go at it LOL

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

pwmorris

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on August 25, 2015, 04:50:52 PM
Thanks Paul ! Next time im shooting for my S&S 11 second club patch !
Oh Baby!!! Your shirt is waiting for you....can't buy it, can't just want it....gotta earn this sucker!
Still have my 11, 10, and of course ultra rare 9 Second Shirts (and patches) with each one having special memories of how hard it was to get each one, and all the moments in time to remember...

http://www.sscycle.com/go-fast-showcase/seconds-club/

RXBOB

Got my 11sec patch will be working a the 10sec patch next season(couple months on its on again) kudos to anyone that gives it a go

I like that you have to get so much right in such a short time, one mistake and its messed up

rigidthumper

I made that list 15 years ago. Crap, I'm old :)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

strokerjlk

Josh your excitement level makes me smile . I love it .
I shared this back when I ran my first official all Harley race ( AMRA )
But that was the day I knew I was hooked .
After struggling and qualifying 2nd from last ( at least I wasn't an alternate )
I ended up going to the finals against Donnie Huffman . 16 time national champ in AHDRA and AMRA .( I lost to him)  It was when I was sitting there in the staging lanes waiting to run the semi finals with all the guys I had idolized for years , I realized I was hooked .
From the left Brad Croneberger , me , Donnie Huffman , Larry Krause

2006FXDCI

Thanks Jim ! Thats an awesome pic ! Someday i hope to be half as good at this as you are ! You have inspired me more than you will ever know , i want to say thank you for all your patience and advice . You always answer my questions no matter how dumb they may be , i cant begin to thank you enough . Im hoping to get back to the strip in the next few weeks . I want to try my luck with my superglide and see how i do on it . Thanks again Jim , i wouldnt of ever done this by myself . You made it possible  :chop:

ThumperDeuce

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on August 24, 2015, 02:14:55 PM
This will no doubt become my most expensive addiction to date ! Between guns , harleys and college for my daughter im gonna need a 3rd job !

Try aviation.  $1000 for a cylinder. $6.00 / gal fuel.
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

04 SE Deuce

Jim,  looks like Krause is spotting you guys a good bit in rider weight.    -Rick

strokerjlk

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on August 26, 2015, 03:44:56 PM
Jim,  looks like Krause is spotting you guys a good bit in rider weight.    -Rick
It's sportsman class . 11:50 index . His bike runs down to 10.30 class .he's a good rider. He missed a few races this year so he isn't up real high in points . But he won a race and went quite a few rounds so he has done great for the amount of races he has attended . He was running # 1 plate that year.

I have done decent In the class this year with my bagger. Runner up one race ( lost to Donny ) and was going quite a few rounds until I picked up a 1/2 sec in my Wot passes. Now I am having a hard time slowing down for the 11:50 class . Last race Donny let me use him as a rabbit to get qualified the last round of qualifying . My 11.79 pass might not have got me in the field .
Didn't help much , I went out first round .  Still holding on to 5th place in that class . Probably should run 10.90 class . But top 5 get the wood at the banquet , and I love that class.so I am committed  . At least this season . The dresser class is where my heart is . Heads up racing is addictive .

Josh . thank you for thr kind words ,it's my pleasure . Love your enthusiasm. Would like you to make a couple AMRA races next year . There is a class for everyone .