Want to retrofit my '02 Ultra with the '09 antennae

Started by Ken R, November 07, 2008, 08:19:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken R

Does anyone have a 2009 Ultra parts book yet? 

I would like to know if there is a loading coil for the CB antenna in the '09 models; and if there is, is it the same P/N as the older model part(s). 

The 30" whips look like the perfect replacement for the long whips that I have now.  (I've tried the J&M Radio 18" whips and the AM/FM reception is quite poor compared to the stock whips . . . . not enough metal in the air to capture distant signals, I suppose)

I'm sure that replacing the AM/FM/WX antenna will be a no brainer.  But I want to be sure that the loading coil for the CB antenna is the same as my '02.  One person on another fourm submitted that the '09's may not even have a loading coil. 

If you could take a picture of the tourpac/antenna parts blow up and the facing part number page and email to me, I'd be very appreciative. 

Airglider

There are separate part numbers for the 07 and later vs 06 and older. Have the upgrade on my 04. CB ok but fm reception is only about 15 mile range. Don't know if the satellite radio direct connection is what the problem is. Don't listen to the fm too much anymore.

AG
Loud Lights Save Lives!

harleyjt

The 2009 Technical Forum that FSG posted earlier stated that they would retrofit to earlier models back to 1998 but iirc, said they would work if the loading coil in the tourpak was removed.  I'm going off memory now, but I thought the same thing - I really want to change mine out on my 08 Ultra.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

Ken R

Quote from: harleyjt on November 07, 2008, 05:00:31 PM
The 2009 Technical Forum that FSG posted earlier stated that they would retrofit to earlier models back to 1998 but iirc, said they would work if the loading coil in the tourpak was removed.  I'm going off memory now, but I thought the same thing - I really want to change mine out on my 08 Ultra.
jt

Well, I went to the local dealer today.  They looked up the parts for me.  Indebted to them for taking the time, I bought the AM/FM/WX antenna mast, P/N 76503-08, the CB Extension cable (eliminates the loading coil)  P/N 76294-09, and the CB antenna mast P/N 76250-09[/b]]P/N 76250-09

They had the AM/FM/WX antenna mast in stock so I put it on my bike and took a ride.  It is maybe not quite as good as the signal reception of the long whips, but good enough.   There's absolutely no doubt that it performs much better than the little 18" whips from HD or J&M. I rode out of town about 20 miles and then did some A:B comparison between the short whip and the 2009 whip.  The 2009 whip won hands down.    The adapter cable and CB antenna should come some time this week or next week.

Ken

harleyjt

Ken,

Great info.  Thanks.  I may look to do the same.  If you don't mind me asking, how did prices run?
jt

Ken R

Quote from: harleyjt on November 08, 2008, 06:22:02 PM
Ken,

Great info.  Thanks.  I may look to do the same.  If you don't mind me asking, how did prices run?
jt

I bought the parts locally, so I probably paid 30% too much.  But they were so helpful with their parts books that I felt obligated.  I paid:
P/N 76294-09 CB extension cable:            $ 25.95
P/N 76250-09 CB antenna mast:              $ 38.95
P/N 76503-08  AM/FM/WX antenna mast:  $ 23.95

PoorUB

Sierra Electronics sells three differant lengths of antennas to fit the the Ultra Classic, direct bolt on. 18", 24" and 36" IIRC. They run about $20 each. I have the 24" on my '05 and like them.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

harleyjt

Thanks Ken!  I'll probably do the same before long.  That little package would make a nice Christmas gift for my wife to give me on Christmas morning...  I'd promise to act surprised.
jt