March 28, 2024, 11:13:26 AM

News:

What is it worth?

Started by Super Dave, September 02, 2015, 11:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super Dave

How do you tell how much a classica bike is worth?

I see NADA has figures. Are they accurate for these bikes.

Friend has a 37 Indian scout that runs but the tins are rusty and paint is cracked and has telescoping forks.

At a swap meet a guy had a 37 Harley flathead with OK paint, a few missing parts and was asking $14K.

Is there a way to gauge this on a site. I don't see one.

That Oodle sight doesn't look right at all.

tomcat64

basically these old bikes are worth whatever people are willing to pay,, I know that's kind of vague,, I watch the classic market pretty close and I am amazed what some people are willing to pay,,but they do, and I guess that is what the bike was worth,, one good way to check is to look at closed auctions on ebay,, that will give you an idea what the market is .. one thing to always keep in mind,, HD ain't gonna build anymore of these bikes,,

Breeze

I would rather have a rough, but correct bike than a nice looking mishmash of models. I have a "Frankenshovel" that's a stew of unrelated Harley components from 1950-1984.  It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for an uncomfortable, slow bike titled as a '68 FLH.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

rigidthumper

Guy took a rotted, rusted out, no rubber/wire/cloth left on it, 1932 Servi Car to Davenport- someone payed him $18K.  I didn't see $18 worth there, myself.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

panic

My taste runs the other way - original does nothing for me, I prefer the best parts I can afford.

tomcat64

Quote from: rigidthumper on September 10, 2015, 01:17:12 PM
Guy took a rotted, rusted out, no rubber/wire/cloth left on it, 1932 Servi Car to Davenport- someone payed him $18K.  I didn't see $18 worth there, myself.

yupper,, but 32 is the first year of the servi car and I'm willing to be there are very few that survived,,

rigidthumper

That explains the value. Thanks!
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?