May 03, 2024, 05:20:16 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Belt drive toasted

Started by DA71FX, April 28, 2024, 05:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crock and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

DA71FX

Well today I had the 79 lowrider out for a short put, when about 15 minutes from the house it decides to rev but not go. So after calling a friend to come get me, I get it home and open up the primary and I am greeted by a primary belt with no teeth. It would appear that someone did a belt drive conversion at some point on this relatively low mileage FXS. But, the belt was a little oily and there was no ventilation in the primary.
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

Fugawee

76shuvlinoff

If it were me I'd go back to a faithful chain.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

FSG

I'd be tempted to vent the primary and put a belt back in there  :SM:

motorhogman

I converted my 73 Super Glide to primary belt drive. No oil in primary and vented the cover.  After tearing up a couple of Primo belts that used an idler system I switched over to Karata. Years and thousands of mile later no problems. Most all 2 up riding.  Sold the bike o a friend and he ran it until he passed away a few years ago. I can tell you he wasn't easy on it either.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

billbuilds

Looks like someone did some clearencing to two of the inner primary cover screw mounting bosses on the bottom of the inner primary. Were the cover mounting screws shortened as well or were none used in those two places?
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.