May 08, 2024, 11:01:34 PM

News:

Manual compression releases

Started by gabbyduffy, September 26, 2015, 02:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

Quote from: timtoolman on September 27, 2015, 09:53:25 AM
I've had 2 S.E. Sets they are junk, had all stainless ones from Vulcan ,they burn your fingers no rubber/plastic caps, have woods in for 2 years no sticking issues yet. But I do lube them  annually
You must have bought the cheaper "SE Junk" versions. My SE were installed 10 years ago. I've never had a failure and I rode the Dyna almost every day until very recently when I bought the RK. I lube whenever they don't snap when I open them. They do get hot. That's why I open them right after I park the bike and my gloves are still on.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Nowhereman

Quote from: Xanadu on September 27, 2015, 05:19:32 PM
nowhereman,

how do  you clean them?  do they unscrew from the head like a regular spark plug?  just soak the whole thing in berrymans chem dip?

only have 700 miles on my ultima 120 with compression releases, its all new to me..

Just unscrew them as you would take out a plug.
I then spray em with Berrymans B12, press em in then spray again, then re install.
Once a year should be fine.
- From Nowhere in particular

Nowhereman

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 27, 2015, 06:35:23 PM
Spray some carb cleaner in the expulsion hole once a week, work the release open and closed. You'll never have sticking issues, and won't have to take them out. Keeps from wearing the 10mm aluminum threads out.
Once a year should not wear any thread out but, if you want to clean em every week, go for it.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Nowhereman on September 27, 2015, 07:18:31 PM
Spray some carb cleaner in the expulsion hole once a week, work the release open and closed. You'll never have sticking issues, and won't have to take them out. Keeps from wearing the 10mm aluminum threads out.
Once a year should not wear any thread out but, if you want to clean em every week, go for it.

I don't use them, I use ACR's, and never clean them.

Most will eventually strip the 10mm thread if they remove them much at all. Most don't have or use an inch pound wrench.

Nowhereman

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 27, 2015, 07:28:02 PM

Most will eventually strip the 10mm thread if they remove them much at all. Most don't have or use an inch pound wrench.

If yoour worried about the threads, put a dab of anti-siege compound on em before re-install.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Nowhereman on September 27, 2015, 07:31:11 PM

If yoour worried about the threads, put a dab of anti-siege compound on em before re-install.

How does anti-seize keep one from stripping them when tightening them?

Nowhereman

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 27, 2015, 07:32:44 PM

They just go in nice an easy so you don't have to lean on em when tightening down.
They come out nice also so you don't lay on em.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Nowhereman on September 27, 2015, 07:38:54 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on September 27, 2015, 07:32:44 PM

They just go in nice an easy so you don't have to lean on em when tightening down.
They come out nice also so you don't lay on em.

My point is most will not have an inch pound wrench, and stand a good chance of stripping them from over tightening, anti-seize or not, too much torque will strip them.  I suggest cleaning them in place, more frequently, then they don't have to be removed.

Latrobedyna

"My point is most will not have an inch pound wrench" That shocks me i would figure any guy wrenching on his scooter would have one.
2006 FXDB , 95" 57H +4% cam, 10:25 pistons: Ported head's. Lots a fun

Tsani

Quote from: Latrobedyna on September 27, 2015, 08:10:00 PM
"My point is most will not have an inch pound wrench" That shocks me i would figure any guy wrenching on his scooter would have one.

You would be surprised. Had a friend tell me that he does it like a spark plug, runs it in till it seat (washer squished) and then a quarter turn past. Guess what he did?
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Nowhereman

I'd bet most guys could deal with it but, we are steering off of the road here.
Yes they can clog up.
Yes you can clean them and unless you have been running two stroke oil in your bike, once a year would be more than fine.

Jim Bronson

I've never removed mine to clean. I lube them by squirting a few drops of WD40 alongside the stem and work them up and down. I do this anytime they stop snapping when I push them open (about every two years.) They then work as they did when new.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

prodrag1320

anti seize wont have any effect on weather they will strip from over tightening,its to help getting them out months or years later.the streel release (or spark plug,sensor,whatever) from having the steel oxidize to the alluminum

Snowyone

I tried Vulcan on two bikes and had to manually close them most of the time.  Blipping the throttle helped but not always.  I've sense replaced them with SE and have not had a problem.  About 25k on the Fatboy with a 124 and just a few k on the Crossbones with a 107.  107 has 195 ccp and don't know ccp on the 124.  I use nickel antiseize.

Tsani

Yup, I had the same results with the Vulcan SS ones. Plus the SS caps burn your fingers. Should have figured that one. Went back to using the Goodson Black tops.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Xanadu

if you remove them to clean them like a spark plug, do you have any retorque values? or just snug them up?  Im concerned about the posts on stripping the threads from overtightening.