March 28, 2024, 04:40:21 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

The rebuild on my 45 has started

Started by PC_Hater, September 27, 2015, 05:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PC_Hater

The garage has been tidied, the FLTRI and the Sportster are legal and in excellent condition so I am now clear to work on the 1942 WLA45 chop.
I know it needs new piston rings - the cause of the 50 miles per pint of oil was obvious when I took the rear barrel off! Broken piston ring.
I know the Triumph 4-speed gearbox needs a new bush for the gearchange lever, and of course more worn parts will be found once I get inside it!
Plan A is to do a 5-speed conversion on the gearbox using T140V parts.

The motor will get a good going over, possibly with some of the well known go-faster mods or possibly not.
The Linkert carb can stay until the bike is running, then I'll see about using an SU or Mikuni or a Keihin CV40. I actually have a spare SU that would work because that carb is used on my Morris Minor.

When it is finished the big question is can I still cope with riding a rigid without a boingy saddle. I suspect the answer will be no!

1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

panic

Great!

Re: "some of the well known go-faster mods"
What did you have in mind?

Slammers

Post pictures when you got 'em. Would love to see it.  :smilep:
Slam '04 FXDL

panic

I have Phil Pick's directions on installing a 5 speed in an early box, e-mail me if this helps.

PC_Hater

Quote from: panic on September 28, 2015, 06:20:17 AM
Great!

Re: "some of the well known go-faster mods"
What did you have in mind?
Skimming the aluminium heads to increase the compression ratio.
Using the K model barrel mods to improve breathing, possibly larger inlet valves but it seems those can be hard to get now, go-faster cams from the WLD if they are not too expensive. My guess is they will be!
I have the Victory Library 45 tuning book.

1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Super Dave

Quote from: panic on September 28, 2015, 08:13:38 PM
Get the valves here:
http://www.victorylibrary.com/kns/parts.htm
Hi Panic. I've seen your name come up in forums. The Victory performance books looks great. What is a good companion book for the "normal" service and repairs for a 1942 WLA? My new project is mainly there but needs fine tuning. Like engine sprocket, has servicar tranny instead of the 3 speed, gas tank that's one model newer, carb needs refurbishing. Stuff like that.
Thank you in advance.