April 27, 2024, 09:54:20 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Horsepower required for a 10sec Dyna?

Started by FXDBI, October 09, 2015, 11:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strokerjlk

Quote from: jam65 on October 14, 2015, 04:00:43 AM
Jim, what kind of rear tire pressure  should I run or a least use as a starting point?
iiRC . You were @ 28 lbs with the 1.65 60 ft.time .
Drop it in 2 lb increments until you see you're MPH drop off , or a big jump in 60 ft times .
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

pwmorris

Quote from: FXDBI on October 13, 2015, 05:21:40 PM
Quote from: harleytuner on October 13, 2015, 12:10:15 PM
It's more than just HP, you have to put it to the pavement.  Too much power and you blow the tire off can be slower than less power that hooks up.  I saw a post on another forum, basically a post like this, then the OP posted a time slip, his R/T with .60

Yes I realize its more than HP  thing is if you don't have enough in the first place you will never get your target. Engine is coming out of the bike when the snow hits needed a idea how much a guy needs so to set a goal for the engine build. Turned 60 on Saturday and have made a goal to build and run a 10sec Harley. So open to all info I can get..  Bob
Added;  I am 5ft 11in and weigh in @150 and work physically every day so I am in not bad shape.
Congrats on trying to run 10's with your street Dyna. What are you going to do to your motor? Remember to keep it reliable and practical as well...
While you pull your motor, you can try and put your bike on a diet or maybe add a shift kill to make your 10 second goal easier-

FXDBI

Congrats on trying to run 10's with your street Dyna. What are you going to do to your motor? Remember to keep it reliable and practical as well...
While you pull your motor, you can try and put your bike on a diet or maybe add a shift kill to make your 10 second goal easier-
[/quote]

Plan so far is to buy a 124 kit complete to do my stock cases. Send the heads from the kit out for some
massaging and bump comp to 210ccp. Wondering about a pipe yet, HPI throttle body, rework the primary, chain final drive.The diet started this summer with a lithium battery , been looking at aluminum swing arms wondering about doing a 2in stretch?  Lots to think about.   Bob

jam65

Quote from: strokerjlk on October 14, 2015, 07:06:35 AM
Jim, what kind of rear tire pressure  should I run or a least use as a starting point?
Drop it in 2 lb increments until you see you're MPH drop off , or a big jump in 60 ft times .
Will do. Thanks Jim.

sharkoilfield

Forged (ie: PM) wheels can be lighter than cast
Composite rotors are way lighter
Aluminum arm is lighter and may allow a wheelbase change
All above are very expensive and stock Dyna's are 670+ lbs according to various road testers
Have fun...you've set a relativly high bar, but I'm sure you can do it Bro

1FSTRK

Quote from: jam65 on October 15, 2015, 05:27:14 PM
Will do. Thanks Jim.

I admit I have not run any of the tires that have come out in the last five years but in the past with a bike like the dyna we would see the best range for street tires run on the track to be between 11 and 20 lbs pressure.
Jim's way is the best way but with the time it takes to get runs down the track I would be tempted to try a run at 20lbs to establish a starting point unless Jim come back with a reason not to, the dyna and fxr just do not need the pressure of the bagger.
What do you think Jim?

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

hrdtail78

Talking with a buddy that has a street trim FXR in the high 9's.  He actually changed his exhaust around to bleed off low end HP.  This allowed his 60ft to go down, tire pressure went up, and it wasn't as hard on the clutch.  So, how much HP?  Depends on application.
Semper Fi

strokerjlk

Quote from: 1FSTRK on October 16, 2015, 04:39:48 AM
Will do. Thanks Jim.

I admit I have not run any of the tires that have come out in the last five years but in the past with a bike like the dyna we would see the best range for street tires run on the track to be between 11 and 20 lbs pressure.
Jim's way is the best way but with the time it takes to get runs down the track I would be tempted to try a run at 20lbs to establish a starting point unless Jim come back with a reason not to, the dyna and fxr just do not need the pressure of the bagger.
What do you think Jim?
we played once before. is why I made the suggestion. normally i would say 13-20 psi.

he had a 1.65 with 28 psi already. the big 200 mm tires seem to like a little more air. the more air you can hook with the better the MPH.

1FSTRK

Quote from: strokerjlk on October 19, 2015, 06:48:14 PM
Will do. Thanks Jim.

What do you think Jim?
we played once before. is why I made the suggestion. normally i would say 13-20 psi.

he had a 1.65 with 28 psi already. the big 200 mm tires seem to like a little more air. the more air you can hook with the better the MPH.

Thanks for the info, I have not played with a 200 mm at the track.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

strokerjlk

Quote from: 1FSTRK on October 19, 2015, 07:53:25 PM
Quote from: strokerjlk on October 19, 2015, 06:48:14 PM
Will do. Thanks Jim.

What do you think Jim?

Thanks for the info, I have not played with a 200 mm at the track.

no problem.
on the subject of hp/ET time
this last weekend one of Kendall Johnson's 124 pro charger baggers was at the Rock. nice guy NO FEAR  :up: (owner/rider not any of the Johnsons)
the bike made 224 hp (same as mine)  had A baker 7 sp. it ran high 11's (12 psi rear tire pirelli night dragon  ) ,I ran a 10.0 .(19 psi rear tire skinko stealth)  it just goes to show ya how important it is to get the power to the track.

RXBOB

Speaking of baker 7 speed had a mate fit one in his softy. Can,t get close to PB now that was achieved with 6 speed. He puts it down to extra gear change

Racepres

October 20, 2015, 08:18:01 PM #36 Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 06:12:52 AM by Racepres
Stroker Jim; it occurs to me that Jim VanFleet probably has the answer to this question...
Remind me to ask him!!

strokerjlk

i know it runs at least 10.7 he has ran that against me. I don't think it has been on a dyno with the new motor . just track tuned to run the number.