May 09, 2024, 12:21:44 AM

News:

Transmissions... What's the Attraction?

Started by JamLazyAss, October 21, 2015, 04:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamLazyAss

Three speeds, Four speeds, Five speeds, Six speeds.

What is the real attraction about having to shift so many gears?
I'm not knocking them, they're just not for me.

Buster has a good ol' Four Speed.
I've been thinking about tossing in a Three speed with reverse.
Did that many years ago and loved it.
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

pumpguy68

Does Buster run down the interstate at 85mph with his 4speed shovel?

I like my 6 speed because I can run pretty much any speed without lugging or over revving my motor ( but that's just me to each his own)

Ray m
If it has tits or gears it will give you problems at some point!!

wholehog

like he says......it keeps the engine running at the sweet spot to match your road speed...that's the reason you're seeing 8 and 10 speed automagic trannys therse days in cars and trucks

ThumperDeuce

If you've got the torque, I don't see the need for all the gears.  I run a Jim's Fat5 Overdrive.  3 shifts to get to 1:1 and then 1 more gets you into overdrive.  I like it.
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

Brrrap

I've heard it said that the 5 and 6 speed trannys were never a design gift to the buying public. "They didn't design that for you and me, They were created to lower emission gases exhausted by lowering Highway RPM's", and also, the stock motors at the time of offering were anemic for "get up and go" on the upper gears. (Just a hear-say consideration guys, on this subject)   
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

calif phil

If I could afford it I would have a Baker 7 speed in my bike.   You have to ride one to appreciate it. 

BUBBIE

Hell, I love to shift and Feel that Sweet Spot in action... Nothing Better keeping the RPM up and the FEEL of it...

I'm going to install a Baker 7 or 8 speed when I wear out my 96---103---?....... then a 124 SnS or by then ? 134  :kick: motor...

BUT, I do remember a 51 pan/hydro with a suicide clutch and a 4 speed tank shift... NICE  :SM:

signed....BUBBIE

Wonder how much a 7 speed cost phil, you seem to know...
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

rbabos

When I had the 120 in the softail I felt a 4 speed is all it needed. Just saying. Also, the stock 96 with 6 speed, well, about as useless of a drive train one can create.
Ron

tommy g

:agree: I felt the same way when I " upgraded" from an 85 4 speed to an 07 6 speed. :sick:
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

gryphon

Not everyone has the same needs. Depends a lot on where you ride and how you ride. I imagine that for a guy who lives in the desert Southwest an overdrive is handy. Riding mountain and river canyon roads I've often wished I had a DD6. Not for a taller 6th but just to give me more options where I ride. Of course just a few years ago it was mostly a fashion statement with a lot of first time buyers opting to have their 5 speeds replaced with 6 speeds before they ever even rode the bike (there used to be a LOT of cheap new parts because of this). When I first went to a 5 speed it sure seemed like I had an awful lot of gears but you soon get used to it.  Then there are some guys who stick with a 4 speed so they can give the impression that they are so old school that they just don't need all this new fangled crap. If a guys buying a tranny he doesn't need then yeah, that's a total waste. On the other hand I don't claim to know how everyone else rides or where they ride and if they feel they need one then that's their business. I didn't NEED a 120 inch motor. Most of us don't. But I wanted one and I got it. I've been riding for 45 years now and when the time comes that I can't ride anymore I don't want to look back and say " Heck, I shoulda tried that".

tommy g

Some good pernts Gryphon. I'm certainly not agin more gears just suggesting the 6 speed behind my stock 96 EG was completely useless to me. Not that a bunch of cash didn't solve that problem.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

fbn ent

I put a SE six speed OD in my '02 when I built it to 102". I like the OD for high speeds but keep it in 5th for anything under 75 mph or so.
On the Shovel I was always searching for another gear. Stock final belt ratios.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

gryphon

I've often wondered why someone doesn't come out with a 5 speed that more accurately compliments the massive increases in HP and torque that have happened over the last couple of decades. Why are we stuck with gear ratio's that were developed back when factory bikes were putting out 50 horses (or less). All the aftermarket manufacturers offer a taller first but come on, we're only in first for a few feet and then never see it again until we stop. How about a taller second thru fourth also. Also, an overdrive option that just drops a couple hundred rpm would be a lot more usefull than one that drops us by 500 rpm.

FSG

like a Twistgear with a larger trannie pulley  :wink:

gryphon

Doesn't that combination just sort of bring you back to where you started. I do remember looking into them years ago. Seem to recall it gave a lower 1st thru 4th for better excelleration then gave a final 1 to 1 ratio on 5th.

FSG

QuoteSeem to recall it gave a lower 1st thru 4th for better excelleration then gave a final 1 to 1 ratio on 5th.

correct 1st thru 4th drop by 10% which is why I say "with a larger trannie pulley" to bring 1st thru 4th back to where they were or taller and the 5th will better than 1:1

gryphon

That would give you a taller 5th gear ratio for sure but you're still stuck with the same ratios in the first 4 gears. So while that may be a good option for someone looking to give easier hiway rpms (as opposed to an overdrive 6 speed) you still have the same first thru fourth. With a solid mount engine and no counterbalance a lot of older bikes just don't run at the same rpm's as rubber mounted or counterbalanced bikes. Changing tranny or wheel sprockets can help a lot but it's also raising your final ratio. I'm pretty happy with my final ratio but Id like to be able to run my first 4 gears a bit ftaller.

FLTRI

I built a 117 for my 03RG.
I bought the engine primary gear and chain from Baker for their DD6 and kept my 5spd.
Pulls like it should and don't need to shift again to get to highway cruise.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

gryphon

That gives you a 2.81 final drive which is probably fine on a rubber mounted engine. Since you can comfortably run each gear to a higher rpm that not a big issue. My 120 pulls a final 2.94 just fine but I would still like to have taller gearing in 1st thru 4th without raising 5th any higher.

PoorUB

I don't really see the point of more gears either. I did not see and earth shaking advantage to the six speed over the five and I have been known to cruise at 90+ MPH once in a while. I averaged 95 MPH from Newell, SD, to Eagle Butte once running from the weather on my 2005 with a 5 speed. Ran over 120 indicated for a little while, probably a real 115 MPH. Nothing wrong with the six speed either, just not a deal breaker.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

harborjohn

If you need to ask you wouldn't understand.

FLTRI

Actually Baker has decided we need a 7 speed!
Bob

JamLazyAss

Quote from: harborjohn on October 22, 2015, 11:37:22 AM

Just like the guys with their booming radio's and seven speed transmissions.

What's to understand?
I've always believed that the more gears were to compensate for an under powered engine.
And the radio?
Those are the kind of things I enjoy getting away from when I ride.  :chop:

gryphon

Well, I will have to agree with you on the radio. Not saying that it's wrong I just personaly won't have one. On the other hand I've never come back from a ride thinking how much better it would have been if I hadn't needed to move my left foot ever so slightly to shift gears those few extra times.

Snowyone

Well I've had them all(4,5,6,7)and the 7speed Baker is the best.  Guess I like to shift though I don't need to much with my 124.  rbabos was right on with the stock 96 and a 6speed.  Like useless as tits on a boar.  But...now that it's upgraded to the 124 I use all 7 and think it's great.  Would probably do the tranny upgrade before the engine upgrade if I knew then what I do now.

dr evo1

I would like to see a automatic 5-7 with a manual override and a adjustable shift kit. then you would need new tires bigger engines and so on.

PoorUB

About the radio thing, reminds me of a few years ago at Sturgis and there was some douche riding down the main drag where all the bikes are parked with his radio cranked to obnoxious. The temps were pushing 100F and it was miserable riding that day.  He was a pretty boy, all muscles and sun tan, no shirt, pretty sure the radio was screaming " look at me!" I thought it was weird when he rode through, when he rode by 3-4 times more then I knew the boy had mommy issues or some other psychosis.

pumpguy68

October 22, 2015, 02:09:31 PM #27 Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 02:53:56 PM by pumpguy68
I put the six speed in to compliment my larger more HP engine.

I also dropped my final drive to 3.47 so when running in 5th or 6th gear at any thing over 2900rpm you just give it a twist and it pulls like a freight train no need to drop down a gear.

I ride a lot of tight curvy roads speeds from 15-45 mph so the option of having more gears to keep the rpm where I like it works for me.

As Gryphon said we all ride different and on different kinds of roads. I set my bike up for my kind of ridding and the roads I ride someone else may not like my set up for where they live.

JMO

Ray m

Add radios are for cars boats etc not  :chop:
If it has tits or gears it will give you problems at some point!!

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Snowyone on October 22, 2015, 12:39:09 PM
Well I've had them all(4,5,6,7)and the 7speed Baker is the best.  Guess I like to shift though I don't need to much with my 124.  rbabos was right on with the stock 96 and a 6speed.  Like useless as tits on a boar.  But...now that it's upgraded to the 124 I use all 7 and think it's great.  Would probably do the tranny upgrade before the engine upgrade if I knew then what I do now.

You haven't had em all.. Don't see a 3 to 2 or 1..   I've have owned 3-6 and for HDs I like the 5 the best.. My 131 and 116 have 5 speed gear boxes and I think they are great..

FLTRI

Or just get yerself a Boss Hog and forget about shifting altogether. :chop:
Bob

76shuvlinoff

I really like the 5 speed inna 4 speed case I put in my shovel approx 13 years ago. It allows me to play with rear sprockets depending on  configuration. I've had it back and forth from apehangered bar hopper to loaded family station wagon several times in that 13 years. Coupled with the 93" mill it has a can-do attitude. I could never cover that range with the 74"er and still be able to roll hard on the highway.

On my 103 TC EG, factory gearing, I find myself in 6th too early or holding it too long. Not a huge deal solo but you really feel it two up.

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Oclaf

the attraction? cause everyone is doing it...thats why... :missed:

Eglider05

Just bought a used SE 6 speed for my 05 120" Glide and I'm very happy with it. I kept my same 1-5 gearing (3.27) and just use the 6th gear for any steady cruising above 65-70 mph. The extra gear I've always been going for is now there, I like it.

Rick

Hossamania

I liked my 4 speed in my old Shadow. I like the 5 speeds I've had in my last few bikes, rock solid. The 6 speed in the Ultra is fine. I shift a lot to stay in the power band, especially 2up. I have also argued against a gear indicator, but realize that it actually would be kind of nice.
As far as radios, I feel they have no place on a motorcycle. Yet, I love mine. I just don't understand guys pulling up with a commercial cranking on the speakers. I also don't like group rides with seven different radios blasting, I keep mine off when riding with others until we get some space between us, even then, it's at a lower volume.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

ndmp40

I think the six speed is a perfect match to the TC.  Harley got it right.

The modern bikes are WAY more useful than the old 4 speeds. 

strokerjlk

Quote from: ndmp40 on October 23, 2015, 07:13:31 AM

:agree:
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

Just Nick

Quote from: strokerjlk on October 23, 2015, 07:16:58 AM

The six speed with a stock or stage 1 96 or 103 is useless, sixth gear around here anyway is unusable. On every motor I build one of the first things the customers always tell me after getting some miles on it is finally I can actually use my sixth gear then they love the sixth gear. I ask customers with stock bikes what they think about 6th and they all say useless, of coarse the guys that ride in 6th at 50 mph trying to get there millage over 50 love it but they are always the ones with problems from lugging.
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

76shuvlinoff

I dunno, for me on a stock 96" FX with a PC 6th at 60+ was ok. On my 103 garbage barge I am good with 6th at 60-65 and up if flat land no head wind. Two up I stay out of 6th until 65+, flat land.  The EG 103 has 48s and a PV.

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

strokerjlk

Quote from: Just Nick on October 23, 2015, 06:55:02 PM

The six speed with a stock or stage 1 96 or 103 is useless, sixth gear around here anyway is unusable. On every motor I build one of the first things the customers always tell me after getting some miles on it is finally I can actually use my sixth gear then they love the sixth gear. I ask customers with stock bikes what they think about 6th and they all say useless, of coarse the guys that ride in 6th at 50 mph trying to get there millage over 50 love it but they are always the ones with problems from lugging.
I got a stock 2007 96 ci bagger. 70 hp. i use 6 th gear all the time at 2500 rpms.and up  :nix:
if i run a back road at 55 -65 mph i usually stay in 5 th. thats ok with me. it gets better mileage in 5 th at that speed . its nice to cruise at 80-85 and turn 3000 rpm in 6th vs the 3800 i had to run with my old 5 sp. I don't get out on that bike by myself much.two up most of the time.

jmorton10

October 24, 2015, 02:21:01 AM #39 Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 02:23:42 AM by jmorton10
Gearing for me, totally depends on the rest of the bike setup.

Years back, I had a 113" Shovel (5" stroke, NOS etc).  That bike had a 4 speed tranny with back-cut Andrews gears & a Murdoch air shifter & I never wished for any more gears.

Then, I had a Heritage ST & an 04 RK.  Both where HC 95"/Wood cammed motors with 5 speeds & 3.36 primary gearing.  With both of those bikes I was constantly reaching for another gear at cruising speed that didn't exist.

I still have the 04 RK, but also have an 07 RK with a stock 6 speed cruisedrive tranny, Pingel electric shift & a HC 124" S&S motor.  The only thing about the stock geared 6 speed setup, is that 1st gear is so tall it feels like starting in 2nd gear on the 04 5 speed RK.

I had not ridden the 3.36 geared RK at all this Summer, I always took the 07 with its super tall gearing.  I decided to take the 04 out for a quick ride the other day & it definitely took some time to get used to it again.  With its noisy clattering Wood cammed 95" motor (as opposed to the 640 S&S cammed motor that makes no lifter noise at all) & stiff gearing it is night and day different from the 07. I had to get used to making the 1>2 shift almost before clearing an intersection from a dead stop LOL.

As far as having a shift indicator reading what gear you're in, I always thought that was kinda stupid for years.  Now however, I have the Dakota Digital speedo that has about 100 different features LOL & constantly reads out what gear you are in.  I got to admit, I do glance at that at times......

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

ndmp40

Quote from: Just Nick on October 23, 2015, 06:55:02 PM

I have a bone stock 96 and love the 6 speed.  Even two up, it makes riding on the expressways enjoyable. 

PoorUB

Quote from: strokerjlk on October 23, 2015, 07:51:45 PM
I got a stock 2007 96 ci bagger. 70 hp. i use 6 th gear all the time at 2500 rpms.and up  :nix:
if i run a back road at 55 -65 mph i usually stay in 5 th. thats ok with me. it gets better mileage in 5 th at that speed . its nice to cruise at 80-85 and turn 3000 rpm in 6th vs the 3800 i had to run with my old 5 sp. I don't get out on that bike by myself much.two up most of the time.

Same here when my 2010 was a 96". Above 60 MPH it pulled just fine. It is even better now I have juiced 103". I am not sure why anyone would say the 6 speed was worthless on a 96" unless they never ride above 60 MPH.

BUBBIE

:baby:

I know where 4th and 5th are... 6th gear is Only in the counting up.....

But I still want that 7 speed. :SM:

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

DTTJGlide

The only thing about the stock geared 6 speed setup, is that 1st gear is so tall it feels like starting in 2nd gear on the 04 5 speed RK.

~John

[/quote]
Quote from: BUBBIE on October 24, 2015, 07:40:48 AM

signed....BUBBIE
You'll love it BUBBIE, it cures the problem John coplains about without losing the lower RPMs @ cruising speeds. 6th is still 1.1 but you get a 10.81 1st gear compared to the stock 9.59. My 6spd crapped out @ a little over 100K this Spring & I said I'd never spend the money to fix that crappy trans, I've heard of many failures with a lot less miles. I've got about 16K on the Baker & I love it, I had a 2000 EG that I had 3.06 final with a 5spd & I liked it better than the stock 09 6spd, that 9.59 1st sucks for taking off & slow speed parking lot maneuvers.

strokerjlk

Quote from: DTTJGlide on October 24, 2015, 08:09:34 AM
  The only thing about the stock geared 6 speed setup, is that 1st gear is so tall it feels like starting in 2nd gear on the 04 5 speed RK.

~John

Quote from: BUBBIE on October 24, 2015, 07:40:48 AM

signed....BUBBIE
You'll love it BUBBIE, it cures the problem John coplains about without losing the lower RPMs @ cruising speeds. 6th is still 1.1 but you get a 10.81 1st gear compared to the stock 9.59. My 6spd crapped out @ a little over 100K this Spring & I said I'd never spend the money to fix that crappy trans, I've heard of many failures with a lot less miles. I've got about 16K on the Baker & I love it, I had a 2000 EG that I had 3.06 final with a 5spd & I liked it better than the stock 09 6spd, that 9.59 1st sucks for taking off & slow speed parking lot maneuvers.

1st gear is pretty tall.9.31 on my stock 07.

my experience. on the stock and stage 2 96/103 bikes ,the 6 sp acts and feels like 6 th gear is overdrive. so use 5 th accordingly .
once ya get some hp/tq/ci going on, 6th becomes one of the gang and ya just have to shift there because ya know ya have another gear.

PoorUB

A lot of riders complain about the 1st gear in the six speed. I went from a 5 speed to a 6 speed no problem. I pull a trailer sometimes and I don't have an issue with 1st. It is definitely different, but a touch more throttle and slip the clutch for a millisecond longer and it works fine. After 77,000 miles with the 6 speed I don't even think about it. Now if you are like some riders here that are racing traffic cones in tight circles a tall 1st might be an issue, but for the daily rider it is just a different learning curve.

Smarty

Quote from: PoorUB on October 22, 2015, 01:03:10 PM
About the radio thing, reminds me of a few years ago at Sturgis and there was some douche riding down the main drag where all the bikes are parked with his radio cranked to obnoxious. The temps were pushing 100F and it was miserable riding that day.  He was a pretty boy, all muscles and sun tan, no shirt, pretty sure the radio was screaming " look at me!" I thought it was weird when he rode through, when he rode by 3-4 times more then I knew the boy had mommy issues or some other psychosis.
I guess the sun was too bright to see his blue led lights highlighting all the chrome in the day time, right?
Suspended by Smarty
Carol Burks

aabikrman

Quote from: Max Headflow on October 22, 2015, 05:09:39 PM

You haven't had em all.. Don't see a 3 to 2 or 1..   I've have owned 3-6 and for HDs I like the 5 the best.. My 131 and 116 have 5 speed gear boxes and I think they are great..

Max, what combo of gearing are you running ?  I've got a 5 speed 124" project bike (06 FLHX) with the factory 32/70 secondary.  I don't think it needs a 6 speed with the powerband of the engine.  I'm considering just a simple pulley swap and or rear sprocket swap and maybe the Johnson Engineering Twist Gear set up in order to compensate for raising the effective 1st gear ratio due to lowering the final drive ratio.  I'd like to drop my highway cruising rpms around 300 rpm or so but not wind up with a too tall 1st gear.  I'd appreciate your thoughts.  Thanks...

Mark P

The transmissions kind of fit the bike of that time. 4 speed was fine for a 600 pound super glide when the speed limit was 55mph. Can you imagine putting a 4 speed in a 800 FL and trying to get that thing rolling with a 2.50 1st. 2nd gear would be all right but it would fall flat on it's face in the 2-3 shift.

By the way if 7 is to much for you we will have a Gen2 OD6 ready by March for the 07 and later bikes. Somebody mentioned a slight overdrive and that is exactly what we are doing .92 6th. I think 6th is tall enough but then our speed limit hasn't been raised to 80mph yet. :teeth:

Ohio HD

:up:

motolocopat

October 26, 2015, 11:34:42 PM #50 Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 11:38:19 PM by motolocopat
Options are nice. I've got 5 motorcycles, a older Camaro Z28 and a 3/4 ton truck which all have 6 speed manuals..  6th is an OD on all of them. Have a newer 1/2 ton truck with an 8 speed auto.. will get 21mpg while running 75mph and accelerates pretty strong for a truck anywhere since it has a gear for any occassion.
With a 6 speed I can have 1-4 for accelerating.. tapped out in 4th going through the traps in the 1/4 mile.
5th is my typical gear for freeways around town or 2 lane highways, I don't just keep shifting up just because I can.
6th once at speed on open Interstate type.

I'm going to be in a gear that allows my motor to give decent response depending on the current conditions, if I'm in traffic I'm going to have it a gear lower than what I probably would if I'm open highway.

Obviously the more power you have the higher gear you can pull and you could eliminate some gears to save some "Work" if that is the way you look at it but that thought has never really crossed my mind :scratch:
MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: aabikrman on October 25, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Max, what combo of gearing are you running ?  I've got a 5 speed 124" project bike (06 FLHX) with the factory 32/70 secondary.  I don't think it needs a 6 speed with the powerband of the engine.  I'm considering just a simple pulley swap and or rear sprocket swap and maybe the Johnson Engineering Twist Gear set up in order to compensate for raising the effective 1st gear ratio due to lowering the final drive ratio.  I'd like to drop my highway cruising rpms around 300 rpm or so but not wind up with a too tall 1st gear.  I'd appreciate your thoughts.  Thanks...

The gearing I have is 3.07 on a Dyna and an FXR which is 2.94. The FXR has 17 inch wheels so it's gearing it is real close speed wise in each gear to Dyna..  Both bikes have 2.94 firsts and 2.08 seconds. So first gear is pretty tall. On a light bike it makes power more useful in the lower gears. In your case to drop 300 rpm at 3000 you would need a top gear of 2.84.. That would make first gear a bit tall for a heavy bike.. You might want to split the difference or maybe only go for a 200 rpm drop..  Twist gear might be the way to go as it spreads the lower 2 out from top gear.. I'm not to hot on the idea tho.. i like the spacing between 4th and 5th as it is..

build it

What's the attraction of riding a bike you don't have to shift??? Sounds boring as all hell...

An upshift that lands in the meat of the power-band in all gears is just plain fun. An easily timed downshift just before getting hard on the brakes before turn in is just as much fun...even on an antiquated machine like a Harley.

Rowing through the gears is fun...I'd draw the line at a 6 speed though
Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

aabikrman

Quote from: Max Headflow on October 27, 2015, 12:16:08 AM
Quote from: aabikrman on October 25, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

The gearing I have is 3.07 on a Dyna and an FXR which is 2.94. The FXR has 17 inch wheels so it's gearing it is real close speed wise in each gear to Dyna..  Both bikes have 2.94 firsts and 2.08 seconds. So first gear is pretty tall. On a light bike it makes power more useful in the lower gears. In your case to drop 300 rpm at 3000 you would need a top gear of 2.84.. That would make first gear a bit tall for a heavy bike.. You might want to split the difference or maybe only go for a 200 rpm drop..  Twist gear might be the way to go as it spreads the lower 2 out from top gear.. I'm not to hot on the idea tho.. i like the spacing between 4th and 5th as it is..

Thanks for the input Max, the spacing between 4th and 5th with the Twist gear is a mild concern for me as well.  Widening the spread between 4th and 5th isn't something I was too wild about particularly with higher overall gearing (lower numerically). I'm probably only going to change the tranny sprocket to a 34. That will give me about a 200 rpm drop in 5th, and 1st needs to be taller with the stock gearing anyhow, at least with this engine. 

DTTJGlide

You could also go with a 07 1" belt &66 tooth rear pulley, that gives you a 2.97 & would also give you more room for a wider tire. I ran that set-up with a 33 tooth front pulley on a 3.37 geared 00 FL, the 3.08 gearing with a 160 tire was great.

aabikrman

Quote from: DTTJGlide on October 28, 2015, 10:13:31 AM
You could also go with a 07 1" belt &66 tooth rear pulley, that gives you a 2.97 & would also give you more room for a wider tire. I ran that set-up with a 33 tooth front pulley on a 3.37 geared 00 FL, the 3.08 gearing with a 160 tire was great.

I briefly considered that but had a concern about the narrower belt and the 124" engine.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

Snowyone

I've over 20k on a skinny belt 011 Fatboy Lo with a milder built 124(128hp/132tq) but I'm no tire shredder either.

Deye76

"What's the attraction of riding a bike you don't have to shift??? Sounds boring as all hell..."

:up: :up: Exactly. Riding a motorcycle should be interactive. Otherwise just find an old Honda automatic.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

build it

Quote from: Deye76 on November 03, 2015, 06:16:47 AM
"What's the attraction of riding a bike you don't have to shift??? Sounds boring as all hell..."

:up: :up: Exactly. Riding a motorcycle should be interactive. Otherwise just find an old Honda automatic.

Deye76, how're you doing man?

OP, the drag racers I've spoken to speak very highly of the Andrews gears, not just regarding cost, but also quality.
Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

Deye76

"Deye76, how're you doing man?"

Doing well, thanks for asking. Little bit of lurking, lot's of riding.

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: JamLazyAss on October 22, 2015, 12:22:35 PM

What's to understand?
I've always believed that the more gears were to compensate for an under powered engine.
And the radio?

I'm in the same camp as you. Maybe even more extreme. I don't have or want all the modern things on my bike. No need for cruise, GPS, radio, speedometer, tach, electric start, 5/6/7 speed gear box, etc. But you gotta realize we are a small minority. I'm fine with others liking what they like and me liking what I like.

-craig

Hossamania

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on November 09, 2015, 08:42:40 PM

What's to understand?
And the radio?

I'm in the same camp as you. Maybe even more extreme. I don't have or want all the modern things on my bike. No need for cruise, GPS, radio, speedometer, tach, electric start, 5/6/7 speed gear box, etc. But you gotta realize we are a small minority. I'm fine with others liking what they like and me liking what I like.

-craig

Well, maybe electric start.

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Hossamania

Hossamania

Cruise is kind of nice.
And a speedo, so I can tell the officer that yes, I do know why he stopped me.
6th gear comes in handy.
And hand warmers.
But no GPS. Let's not get carried away here.

Tsani

November 10, 2015, 07:17:06 AM #65 Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 07:39:51 AM by Tsani
Not everyone rides a panhead either. I don't have any of that stuff on my pan, however I did put the windscreen back on. Same goes for the shovel. But on the TC, I do make use of my Zumo 550 GPS from time to time but most times it is in the saddlebag. My best bud likes his "foldable" GPS, that is until we need to find a gas station in BFE. My electric gloves are dang nice when its 20* sitting still. Even better when moving. Don't think you need to worry about that much in AZ. At least not for months at a time.  Never needed a radio as I sing along with my engine. I am fine with my gear box just the way it is. I have no problem transferring the power to road. It not like I am peddling a bicycle.
However, according to a lot of metric riders, it is a glorified lawnmower.  :hyst:

:chop:

ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

harborjohn

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on November 09, 2015, 08:42:40 PM

What's to understand?
And the radio?

-craig
Craig,  How is that Turbo and AWD doing on that new car of yours?   John

CraigArizona85248

Yeah HJ, I'm taking a totally new road with my car. What I like in cars and bikes are completely different. Car is still on order. Was supposed to arrive today at the dealership. But it was a no-show.  :cry:

-craig

JamLazyAss

Back around 1970, I built an old 45 flathead.
I got the transmission from a trike. And you know what that means; Reverse.

You should have seen the faces when I would pull up to a bar, then drop her in reverse to back to the curb.

I'm not sure that I could do a very good job of reversing one today.

But I do still have a foot clutch - hand shift on my Pan  :chop:

gryphon

About that same time I got my first Harley. Also a 45 that someone had chopped. It was a POS but I was 17 and it was a Harley. On the way home I spotted some buddies in an Arco station and pulled in to show it off. Out of habit I went for the brake on the wrong side. I rolled into a gas pump doing about 10 miles an hour. Pretty embarrassing at the time. Just funny now.

Deye76

Quote from: JamLazyAss on November 11, 2015, 06:55:13 AM
Back around 1970, I built an old 45 flathead.
I got the transmission from a trike. And you know what that means; Reverse.

You should have seen the faces when I would pull up to a bar, then drop her in reverse to back to the curb.

I'm not sure that I could do a very good job of reversing one today.

But I do still have a foot clutch - hand shift on my Pan  :chop:

One of the older guys in the Seattle Cossacks (drill team) has a Knuck with reverse, not many guys can pull a hole shot....in reverse with both feet on the boards, and not drop it.