April 28, 2024, 12:47:29 AM

News:

Sticky DOT tires

Started by HighLiner, October 22, 2015, 03:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighLiner

Who makes a sticky D.O.T. for the newer touring bikes 180/65/16?

John/1

October 22, 2015, 03:58:23 PM #1 Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 04:00:43 PM by John/1
Not sure what is available for 16",I have 180/55/18 Shinko stealth 003.lots of selection for 17"
John

westcomb

Shinko just started making a DOT tire for Harleys in 16" ...........

Shinko Stealth 150/90/ZR16 WPS# 87-4002U ............. List price is $179.95

strokerjlk

Your gonna have to go 17" if ya want something really sticky in a 180.
The best your gonna do in a 180/16 is the shinko 777 . It might be enough for what you want to do.  I ran the 140-16 777 and it was pretty darn good . The stealth D is only in 150/16 . It's a hell of a tire . They came to the states last April . Same compound as the drag hookup in the 17/18 sizes .

If your gonna serious race , I would go 17/180 shinko hookup drag radial .
If it more of a best traction @ 32 an up street pressure , then go with a 777 in 16/180
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

strokerjlk

the shinko 140/16 777 hooking up

strokerjlk

the 150/16 stealth D hooking up

WideWildGlide

I found the hook up was to stickie regearless of psi I always ran .1-.2 slower with the tire vs normal 17 inch rocket tire..I liked full bore tires

HD/Wrench

Do not over look the dark side guys point of view.

They run a car tire and you have more options there as well.. Not taking a side on that entire debate . But it does open a few more doors for tires and some are pretty cheap

The shinko is what I also run .. in this temp and road surface it sucks for any type of tire life . but it does hook very well .

HighLiner

I talked to the Shinko rep at the expo and he said they were considering doing a 180/16.

strokerjlk

Quote from: HighLiner on February 12, 2016, 08:21:18 AM
I talked to the Shinko rep at the expo and he said they were considering doing a 180/16.
A 180/16 That would be awesome .

Car tire would not be allowed in any "street" heads up class's.
You could run one in sportsman class's . But why? Slick is allowed and provides more than enough traction .

Racepres

Haven't seen a car tire in a very very long time...at the track...Not sure they are even safe from when I did see some in action!!
I wouldn't do it...and I wouldn't allow anyone on my "team" to run one either...Too Many Better options out here.

HD/Wrench

Never said I was for it and in fact it is a DOT tire so rules wise they are allow unless it states clearly motorcycle dot tire ..  That is something I have seen people get into pissing matches with the officials. at the all HD drags  :emoGroan:

The reason they run them is cost they can buy a very sticky dot car tire that has a wide flat foot print and it will last a long time. Myself will not run one , I have dynoed some bikes with them and have watched tire temp very close. Never seen one do anything odd yet. Riding them on the street is a weird feeling as they do not roll over very well .

hrdtail78

Shinko now has their Hook-up drag radial and Hook-up pro drag radial.  Says it is lighter and has a bigger contact patch.  They only have 2 sizes in the pro.  190 and 200.  No 180.

Not everybody is looking at racing at sanctioned events.
Semper Fi

Racepres

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on February 12, 2016, 11:09:23 AM
Never said I was for it and in fact it is a DOT tire so rules wise they are allow unless it states clearly motorcycle dot tire ..  That is something I have seen people get into pissing matches with the officials. at the all HD drags  :emoGroan:

The reason they run them is cost they can buy a very sticky dot car tire that has a wide flat foot print and it will last a long time. Myself will not run one , I have dynoed some bikes with them and have watched tire temp very close. Never seen one do anything odd yet. Riding them on the street is a weird feeling as they do not roll over very well .

No Pissing matches at AMRA events over rules...Ever...Just read GR-1
Nobody...I don't care who you are, can write a Rulebook that tells everything you Can't do..
Absolutely Impossible..Why try...

HD/Wrench

Again I am not beating that point just stating what I have seen. and yes many events are " not " a 100% sanctioned event. Many many tracks want more bikes to show and race.  And yes you get the guys that run the street bike and they run a car tire and have so for 50,000 + plus miles :nix:  So they are racing on a TT night.

WideWildGlide

Issue with the car tire...I've ran one...traction wise its has about x3 more foot print vs same size motorcycle tire...issue there wider...and heavy....I wouldn't be scared to run one but dyna swing arm is too narrow and the smallest 17inch car tire is a 185 which is more like a 200-210 mm tire

strokerjlk

Quote from: WideWildGlide on February 12, 2016, 09:08:02 PM
Issue with the car tire...I've ran one...traction wise its has about x3 more foot print vs same size motorcycle tire...issue there wider...and heavy....I wouldn't be scared to run one but dyna swing arm is too narrow and the smallest 17inch car tire is a 185 which is more like a 200-210 mm tire
to heavy is right. I know guys that have picked up 60 ft and ET with a smaller tire,just because of the weight advantage . part of the reason why I am scared to go bigger than my 150mm

Racepres

Quote from: strokerjlk on February 12, 2016, 09:40:26 PM
to heavy is right. I know guys that have picked up 60 ft and ET with a smaller tire,just because of the weight advantage . part of the reason why I am scared to go bigger than my 150mm

Horsepower is in that equation also Jim. Back when there was a "box stock" class we went even skinnier than stock, as the width was limited on oversize only. Obviously our Power level was Not High, so weight and traction Co-efficient was the big concern. In your case, from what I see, going wider will make your bike Harder to ride, because it will grab harder, yet have the Power to pull it, = Bigger wheelies....Used to say, I like to hear the rear tire "cry" a bit on take-off...means we Could Overpower it, but, it was holding what we gave it...
Just one more Opinion!!!

strokerjlk

Quote from: Racepres on February 13, 2016, 05:56:10 AM

Horsepower is in that equation also Jim. Back when there was a "box stock" class we went even skinnier than stock, as the width was limited on oversize only. Obviously our Power level was Not High, so weight and traction Co-efficient was the big concern. In your case, from what I see, going wider will make your bike Harder to ride, because it will grab harder, yet have the Power to pull it, = Bigger wheelies....Used to say, I like to hear the rear tire "cry" a bit on take-off...means we Could Overpower it, but, it was holding what we gave it...
Just one more Opinion!!!
yes more hp with the lighter the tire. seen proof of that on the dyno.

I like that term . hear the tire cry  :up:
I am a believer, seen to many fast guys prove it.

HighLiner

Who's got the best Shinko prices?

strokerjlk

Quote from: HighLiner on February 22, 2016, 04:16:02 PM
Who's got the best Shinko prices?
The stealth D is kinda hard to find in stock.  If you can't find one let me know . I may be able to get ya one . Probably around 175 ish without shipping . He was holding one for me 2  weeks ago. Try California Phil ?

John/1

Try Motorcycle super store has good prices.
John

HighLiner

I was thinking just get the "hook up" version and be done with it.

Flintlock

This is a common misconception. The footprint is simple arithmetic. Weight divided by tire pressure = sq in on the ground. The "car tire" may give a different shape footprint but not more surface.

John/1

Motorcycle superstore has Shinko 180/55/18 zr  003 stealth
That what I use and they are $127.95
John

strokerjlk

Quote from: John/1 on February 23, 2016, 09:10:29 AM
John
Everyone carries the 17"
The stealth 150/16 is harder to find .
Sometimes you don't find out they don't have them in stock for a week after you order . At least that was my experience with motorcycle super store .and a few others places.

John/1

Quote from: strokerjlk on February 23, 2016, 12:09:21 PM
John
Everyone carries the 17"
Sometimes you don't find out they don't have them in stock for a week after you order . At least that was my experience with motorcycle super store .and a few others places.

Mine is a 18" I'm thinking one day they will discontinue it if sales are not strong enough.I hope that does not happen,I have not found anything in an 18" that sticks like this stealth dimple slick.For the price it is an awesome tire!!

motolocopat

You are also lowering the gearing with a smaller diameter tire. :wink:
MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950

Jonny Cash

February 29, 2016, 08:55:59 AM #28 Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 06:52:42 PM by Jonny Cash
Quote from: strokerjlk on February 23, 2016, 12:09:21 PM
John
Everyone carries the 17"

Rocky Mountain ATV has a couple in stock, pretty good price.  just ordered one.
Accurate information is expensive, rare and difficult to find!

WideWildGlide

[/quote]
You are also lowering the gearing with a smaller diameter tire. :wink:
[/quote] not enduff to trade off adding 10 extra pounds on the rear..