April 27, 2024, 08:25:37 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Can a V-Twin be competitive?

Started by HighLiner, October 27, 2015, 07:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighLiner

The local track has a heads up class with the following rules but is dominated by imports.  I watch and wonder if a v-twin could compete?

PRO STREET BIKE/SLED

1/4 Mile - .400 Pro Tree - 16 Bike/Sled Qualified Field - Pro Ladder
Sled Rules - Contact us with questions

Turbo bikes
Gasoline only , no auto transmission or slider clutchs,Street tire only no slicks.
68in wheelbase 650lbs
69in wheelbase 675lbs
70in wheelbase 700lbs
72in wheelbase 700lbs and rider over 200lbs.

Nos and all motor bikes
Gasoline only, auto transmissions and slider clutchs permit ,Street tire only no slicks
72in wheelbase 525lbs
73in wheelbase 550lbs
74in wheelbase 575lbs
75in wheelbase 600lbs

All rules are based off of IDBL Pro Street bike class.

rigidthumper

October 27, 2015, 07:12:46 AM #1 Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 07:17:16 AM by rigidthumper
That class runs 6.80s to 7.10s, around 200-220 MPH, so it aint gonna be easy. It will be expensive! Reading their rulebook, they don't show any love for V-Twins.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

prodrag1320

aint going to happen.the only gas HD that would even come close is brownes turbo bike (runs in the 6.95-7.10 area),but its got 10" slick.plus its a completely one off bike and you would be looking in the 100K+ area to build one

HighLiner

Kind of what I figured seeing how the outlaw street bikes are pretty radical and only run 8.50s

prodrag1320

the man cup has a "outlaw" street class with jap bikes,one guy went 6.55 @ 221 on a hyabusa,street tires with no bar

strokerjlk

Quote from: prodrag1320 on October 27, 2015, 07:47:41 AM
aint going to happen.the only gas HD that would even come close is brownes turbo bike (runs in the 6.95-7.10 area),but its got 10" slick.plus its a completely one off bike and you would be looking in the 100K+ area to build one
Bad azz ride . blower "Gas" bike running with Nitro funny bikes because there really isnt a class for it yet.
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

prodrag1320

actually,its a turbo,not a blower.the brownes have been running turbo`s forever.back in the day,they ran a 88" shovel (turbo`ed) that went 7.50.brownes are building all hawaya pro drag & top fuel frames now.craftsmanship dosnt even come close to what they do,its art

strokerjlk

Quote from: prodrag1320 on October 29, 2015, 04:05:34 PM
actually,its a turbo,not a blower.the brownes have been running turbo`s forever.back in the day,they ran a 88" shovel (turbo`ed) that went 7.50.brownes are building all hawaya pro drag & top fuel frames now.craftsmanship dosnt even come close to what they do,its art
:up: 
blower on the brain  :scoot:

prodrag1320

as long as its drag racing on the brain,who cares!! :baby:

HighLiner

Quote from: prodrag1320 on October 29, 2015, 03:37:55 PM
the man cup has a "outlaw" street class with "metric bikes",one guy went 6.55 @ 221 on a hyabusa,street tires with no bar

I meant the AMRA outlaw street bikes.

WideWildGlide

No out the box busa can run 9.5-9.6 with decent rider and pro rider on 1000 gsxr can mustra 9.2-9.4 in stock form with maybe a tire change....hell there runs nitrous out the ass on stock motor running 5.6s in 1/8th around here

jbexeter

The *problem* with the harley is the pathetic shared inlet tract.

In an ideal inlet tract you want something as straight as possible, and as close as technically feasible to the valve stem so the inlet gases go straight "down" onto the poppet valve and feed equally around all the edges when it opens.

Contrast that to my stock hd, essentially two 90 degree bends within 4 inches of inlet tract, and worse still, a common inlet tract for two cylinders ...

Rotate the read head 18 degrees and fit twin carb and you'll start to make real power on a n/a harley, straighten the inlet tracts (custom head) and you'll make loads more.

Rules though, at what point does it stop being a harley / stock / within class?

Racepres

There is a reason that something called "Harley Drags" came into being....
No Cars, and no Imports...Don't need 'em.
So...The question about can a Harley be competitive? Only Harley's and "Clones" and Indians, and Victory's are even Invited....
Wanna Have some Fun??

trex

Quote from: Racepres on February 08, 2016, 06:23:41 AM
So...The question about can a Harley be competitive? Only Harley's and "Clones" and Indians, and Victory's are even Invited....
Wanna Have some Fun??
Are there any races scheduled on the west coast? I live in Hawaii and used to go the the LA county drags then the Vegas drags.

trex

Quote from: strokerjlk on October 29, 2015, 04:00:25 PM
Bad azz ride . blower "Gas" bike running with Nitro funny bikes because there really isnt a class for it yet.

Any videos of that Browne bike running?

pwmorris

April 02, 2016, 03:50:24 PM #15 Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 03:54:35 PM by pwmorris
   Are there any races scheduled on the west coast? I live in Hawaii and used to go the the LA county drags then the Vegas drags.
[/quote]

I used to run at the LA Country drags. I learned to race at LACR. Won a modified class trophy. Those days are long gone and LACR is a gravel pit now.

West Coast-AHDRA kaput. Tracks closing and no organized sanction out here, except NHRA, which runs some regional events. Unless you are top fuel, very little turnout, except imports.
Pacific Northwest has some regional racing.
Ran a couple races with the WMDRA, even though they didn't even have a class for my bike, but tried to support them. Looks like they don't even have a schedule for 2016-
http://www.westernmotodrags.com/events.htm

Most of the guys I know with race bikes aren't racing, sold them, or are trying to sell them.

East Coast guys should thank their lucky stars for the AMRA-
Keepin' Harley Drags alive and kickin'!

strokerjlk

Quote from: trex on April 02, 2016, 03:39:13 PM
Quote from: strokerjlk on October 29, 2015, 04:00:25 PM

Any videos of that Browne bike running?
they have a new frame this year. I think they just got it finished and are testing next weekend

https://youtu.be/mmfZCSCuGW8

strokerjlk

They are testing this coming weekend .
Bad azz ride

jmorton10

HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Racepres

guaranteed to be the Baddest in your class ... when it is the only one!!!
Where were those guys when Dana was struggling to keep a Class like that Alive??

prodrag1320

the brownes didn't build it for any class,they just wanted to see what they could do with a turbo for their own satisfaction.it is probabley the finest engineered HD drag bike running now.bar none (& dana`s bike wouldn't have a chance with this bike).kieth & pete browne have always had VERY bad ass turbo bikes when the did run in a "class",(7.40`s out of a 88" turbo gas shovel in the 1990`s) they have nothing to prove to anyone but themselves

Racepres

Quote from: prodrag1320 on April 29, 2016, 01:34:07 PM
they have nothing to prove to anyone but themselves
Cool...Let's see how they treat us this time around....
I'm glad you like 'em Kirby, but, I know that if they Spoke to You like they did us...Well...Let's just say I know.

prodrag1320

How who treats us? The Browne's?

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

prodrag1320

It's your organization, why would they dictate to you? Something I don't know anything about

sfmichael

Quote from: Racepres on February 08, 2016, 06:23:41 AM
Wanna Have some Fun??

:up: :beer:
Colorado Springs, CO.

strokerjlk

Quote from: prodrag1320 on April 29, 2016, 04:33:37 PM
It's your organization, why would they dictate to you? Something I don't know anything about

it got kinda ugly for no reason.there isn't really a class that the bike fits in.
IMO the Browne's listened to the wrong people tell them how they though it was gonna be.
gotta be Nitro to run funny bike /dosent have to run nitro to run funny bike/just put a drop of nitro in it to run funny bike....bla bla bla. they should have just called and talked to Marty first. some funny bike guys want them torun  some don't. :nix:
IDK and don't have a dog in the hunt. I like power adders nos EFI and like to see the bike run. I hope it all works out for everyone.

sfmichael

Quote from: strokerjlk on April 29, 2016, 08:51:42 PM
Quote from: prodrag1320 on April 29, 2016, 04:33:37 PM

it got kinda ugly for no reason.there isn't really a class that the bike fits in.
IMO the Browne's listened to the wrong people tell them how they though it was gonna be.
gotta be Nitro to run funny bike /dosent have to run nitro to run funny bike/just put a drop of nitro in it to run funny bike....bla bla bla. they should have just called and talked to Marty first. some funny bike guys want them torun  some don't. :nix:
IDK and don't have a dog in the hunt. I like power adders nos EFI and like to see the bike run. I hope it all works out for everyone.

:up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

twincam8888

Back in the day the All Harley Drags was like the Special Olympics for motorcycles.
But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

Racepres

Quote from: twincam8888 on April 30, 2016, 03:59:16 AM
Back in the day the All Harley Drags was like the Special Olympics for motorcycles.
Really?
What class did you run?
Where and When?

strokerjlk

Quote from: strokerjlk on April 28, 2016, 05:35:20 PM

They are testing this coming weekend .
Bad azz ride

they lifted the head.
it done the same thing at Rockingham,and bowling green last year.
they are back to the drawing board,looking to improve on engine  parts, that are up to the task.

strokerjlk

they run much faster on fuel than aluminum
Elmer Trett 1986

Hossamania

Ouch! Did it make big flames to entertain everyone?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

strokerjlk

Quote from: Hossamania on May 01, 2016, 07:11:39 PM
I dont know. they were in VA. this weekend. I am stuck working on my bike in the barn. :emsad:

prodrag1320

Quote from: Hossamania on May 01, 2016, 07:11:39 PM
been there,yes there is big flames!!