May 02, 2024, 03:23:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Ammo Shortage

Started by Bladesmith, April 03, 2009, 04:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xxxflhrci

Any of you shooters that don't reload, feel free to send your brass to me, particularly .45. :smile:

apes

...and I will take your discarded 9mm, 308 and -06 brass......not that I have any guns mind you

Ape_do

I was able to pick up 1000 rds of 9mm off gunbroker.com a couple weeks ago for $219. That's no great deal (I used to buy it by the box cheaper than that), but at least I have a little peace of mind. When they come for my guns, I'm gonna have a heck of a time finding them :wink:. I may even wind up having to fill out some paperwork, or paying a fine.

Oh well, if that's the price of freedom...

rkrcpa

Picked up a box of 1000 bullets and a pound of 231 today. The guy had all the reloading components you could need. He did have a limit of 1000 on primers though. (Primers I got lots of)

1711tab

Quote from: PoorUB on April 03, 2009, 08:27:59 PM
I bought 100 rounds of .45 ACP the other day. The stock was low, but they probably had 2000 rounds available of various brands. The salesman said ammo was selling faster than ever so I believe there is a bit of a run on ammo.

Just went to the Grand Opening of Gander Mountain in Springfield, Illinois and they had a trailer out front with any and all ammo... No shortage there for this particular day...
"KOC" - HYPERFORMANCE & R&R CYCLES R&D TC 131"

INNOVATORS NOT IMITATORS

apendejo

No problem here. I stocked up back during the Y2K scare, I am all set. Nice thing about ammo, if you store it properly it has a shelf life of like forever.
AP

PosseRider

Just bought 5 boxes of 9mm at Wally World. They had about 15 boxes.
PosseRider
Vandalia,Ohio

Skullfork

I agree also it's mostly panick buying, and the NRA, which I'm a mamber of, is definitely doing it's part to keep the panick alive because it's getting more people to become members ...and that's a good thing. There are always going to be threats against our 2nd Ammendment rights, so join the NRA if you're not already!

Skullfork

BTW ...how about the guy in Pittsburgh that killed those cops. Part of the reason he did what he did was because he was afraid the Gov was going to come and take his weapons. 

Alvin

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I was curious what everyone believes is enough ammo.  I'm a reloader......competitive shooter.....I buy my powder in 8 lb kegs.....primers in 10,000 lot batches......and make my own bullets............When adding up everything in my house that is loaded, it comes to a staggering amount.  Under 500---under 1000----1000 to 5000---under 10,000 or over 10,000?  or over 20,000?

Let's not count 22 rimfire.  A case of 22's is 5000 rounds.....and many competitive shooters will buy a case of 22's to make sure it all shoots the same, match after match.

A buddy and I spilt 470 lbs of brass(.45, .40, and 9mm)last year that the local PD department had shot up and let us buy from them.  That was a godsend as far as I was concerned. I think I'm set for quite a while.  (and that's not counting what I already had) :teeth:

76shuvlinoff

QuoteI was curious what everyone believes is enough ammo.

Enough for what? Hunting? Self defense? Home defense? Plinking? Armageddon?
All of the above?

I think it's like potato chips....
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

76shuvlinoff

I was just at another site I belong to and read this...

QuoteHow much ammunition is too much?
No such thing, unless your house is on fire.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

There was an estate auction a few weeks ago in MN 46 rifles, shotguns, and handguns. The estate also had over 25,000 Shotgun Shells and over 75,000 rounds of Rifle and pistol ammo.  These were factory loads and handloads. 
02 EG 95" Carb WT Crusher 118hp/108tq

f-x-d-w-g

No problem getting Federal HI-SHOK 147 grain 9mm in Syracuse.
Dan
Tijeras, NM

apendejo

Quote from: Evil-Eagle on April 04, 2009, 08:55:08 PM
BTW ...how about the guy in Pittsburgh that killed those cops. Part of the reason he did what he did was because he was afraid the Gov was going to come and take his weapons. 
QuoteDon't be conned by statements like that from the press. It is all part of an agenda.
AP

Skullfork

April 05, 2009, 09:18:28 AM #40 Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 09:21:36 AM by Evil-Eagle
Quote from: apendejo on April 05, 2009, 08:39:10 AM
Quote from: Evil-Eagle on April 04, 2009, 08:55:08 PM
QuoteDon't be conned by statements like that from the press. It is all part of an agenda.
AP

I agree with ya AP ...that's why I added that part of the story. As usual, the press is doing whatever they can to create negative press about weapons.  It's kind of like how they always have to add a line about a rider not wearing a helmet if they're killed in a crash, even if it's irrelevant to the cause of death.

02roadcling

April 05, 2009, 10:10:18 AM #41 Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 10:17:05 AM by 02roadcling
I will sell a new 50 round box of Remington Express Pistol And Revolver 380 Automatic, 88 Grain. Hollowpoint.

Anybody close to me that wants to buy them or trade your 38 special bullets? I don't have a 380 anymore.

cling
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

hunter

If the Democrats go through with their whole plan, any ammo being purchased now will have to be disposed of anyway.  It reminds me of when they changed the national speed limit to 55mph and turned my mother into a criminal.  No one will give up their ammo.

Not that it matters much.  Having enough ammo for life for any firearm makes some sense.  Still, a 500 round box of .22LRs and a stockpile of loaded clips for a Ruger 10/22 or some variant will sort out any insurrection issues one might confront.  Sure, a single shot with a .308 is nice but punishing someone with a bunch of .22LRs is probably more fun.  If society degrades completely and there's no NASCAR, such fun will be welcome.