Dyno cell out of a shipping container

Started by joe_lyons, November 12, 2015, 08:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rigidthumper

The guys from industrial noise control told us two 5 horse 3 phase 220V 30" axial tube fans would give us enough airflow for all day tuning without issues.   
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

HD/Wrench

:agree: :agree:  Thats what I have now.. Some of the newer models of booths are running one 60 inch. But I like the fact I can turn one or two fans on

1FSTRK

November 13, 2015, 05:19:43 PM #27 Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 05:22:41 PM by 1FSTRK
Quote from: rigidthumper on November 13, 2015, 08:20:45 AM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 12, 2015, 06:15:22 PM
Quote from: HD Street Performance on November 12, 2015, 05:41:31 PM
I think it is a good idea as long as you get the proper air changes and no pressure differential between outside and inside.

Why would a pressure differential matter?

The weather stack reads the barometric pressure as a altitude, and a vacuum (pressure difference from unbalanced intake/exhaust) will alter the correction factor. Usual correction factor of 1.00 at sea level can be as much as 1.25 at altitude. That means the #s could appear to be 25% higher than actual, because the system thinks it's at 10000 feet, instead of actually being  at sea level, because the fans are changing the baro reading in the room.

The thing is the intake, exhaust, and stack are all in the room and all seeing the same pressure  so the correction will be accurate.

Also the dyno jet does not measure or use altitude at all.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

1FSTRK

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on November 13, 2015, 09:57:58 AM
Or buy one bigger fan.. I do not know the cost on that fan but the tube fans are high velocity where as the others although have the CFM do not move the air as fast,, I tried one of those and it was ok but when I went to the tube fan night and day.. CFM is one thing velocity is the other. Al least that has been my experience. intake size shape of the room I would think would also have some effect.

:up:
Joe your container will be like a wind tunnel so the key will be the inlets and just as important the placement of the outlets. With needing to open the doors on the back to get bikes in and out you will need to make sure you can maintain good air flow through the entire booth.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

joe_lyons

November 13, 2015, 05:37:21 PM #29 Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 05:44:48 PM by joe_lyons
I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between tube axial fans and box axial fans for overall flow and cfm.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

Admiral Akbar

If you are going to put a dyno in a container.. Most of the sound will exit through the exhaust.. I would guess you need some kind of sound deadening ducting.. Years ago, Randy at Cycle Visions used to tune in a 20 foot container without any fans other than the ones mounted on a DJ150.. He would warm the bike up with the door open  and when he got ready to do a pull, a mechanic would close the door.. It was pretty quiet outside.. I do think Randy killed off a few brain cells..

joe_lyons

I will need sound absorbing material inside for my sake and hearing. 

PoorUB

Quote from: joe_lyons on November 13, 2015, 08:25:03 AM
Quote from: N-gin on November 13, 2015, 08:07:28 AM
Furnace blower one on the inside and one on the outside..
See them all the time on the front lawn. I scarf them up and use them.
How many cfm do they move?

A blower out of a residential furnace will move somewhere between 800 and 2,000 CFM, free air. Add any restriction to the air flow and the actual air flow drops like a rock, maybe to 60-75%.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

N-gin

So one fan mounted to pull air in and two fans mounted to pull air out is not enough, in conjunction with separate exhaust fan and snorkles for the exhaust
:scratch:

Damn maybe that booth for sale on Craigslist for 8k was a good deal after all.  :doh:
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

kd

Here's a dyno room that ran out of intake air.   :dgust:  Probably not a concern for a V twin though.  :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA6am0rCwAk
KD

joe_lyons

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

joe_lyons

November 15, 2015, 11:07:13 AM #37 Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 05:58:57 AM by joe_lyons
What would be wrong with this fan?  Still pulls 27,700 cfm at .15 depression.  Room exchange at 2.55 times a second.

http://www.industrialfansdirect.com/IND-FA-EF-PF/JD-VSA55G3C21.html

mayor

Quote from: joe_lyons on November 12, 2015, 08:25:01 AM
What do you guys think of making a dyno cell out of a shipping container? 
I think this is an interesting idea.  The biggest problem I'm facing in our booth is the room location in the building not allowing for easy movement of dirty and clean air, and I think starting out with a free standing room would make things much easier to get good air in and bad air out.     

I don't know enough about fans to say which cheaper ones would work, but I can say that if I were to build a shipping container module from scratch I would use the better (although more expensive) axial fans.  I would also try to model the unit very similar to GMR's booth.  Having been in his booth, I can say that there is no comparison to the crappy set up that we have here and the set up he has.  His set up does not use a push pull fan set up, but rather two sucker fans pulling air through the building with large fresh air inlet in front of the bike. 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

joe_lyons

I talked with a guy at J&D mfg and he thought that the 30,000 cfm fan would be more than enough.  He said the axial fans pull air better through a smaller hole.  Since I can make my room opening as big  as I need (he recommended 7'x7). He calculated that the wind speed at the opening would be around 5.6 mph and then roughly 5.3 mph through the rest of the room.  The cones on the end of the fan raise the velocity.  The fiberglass body's have a lifetime warranty and the galvanised blade has a one year warranty (he said their main issue is their ability to withstand birds/varmints).  These are agricultural fans that can run all day long for multiple days without issues.

mayor

if you buy one, keep us updated as to how it works.  That's not a bad price for that much cfm's. 

joe_lyons

Quote from: mayor on November 18, 2015, 06:35:11 PM
if you buy one, keep us updated as to how it works.  That's not a bad price for that much cfm's.
Thought you were coming out and helping me?

mayor

winters coming and I bet it gets cold out your way, so just post pics and I'll try to be there in spirit.   :teeth:  funny thing is, after seeing this thread I noticed there's a 20' container for sale not a 1/4 mile from my house. 

harleytuner

Are you planning on pulling the air in or pushing the air out?

joe_lyons

harleytuner

Quote from: joe_lyons on November 19, 2015, 05:11:02 AM
Pull it through

Good plan, i'd like to see it when it's done if possible.  I might consider something similar but putting it inside my shop