Power Vision Question for the tuners

Started by Jimfount00, November 14, 2015, 04:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimfount00

So long story short, I found that my bike was tuned on a dyno with the vacuum plug missing on top of the intake. I often wondered why it seemed to make more of a hissing/intake noise down there but never in a million years thought that was missed.

I replaced the cap and went back to the tuner because the bike seemed to be running a lot hotter.  I could feel it more on my right leg and the power vision would show temps of 300-325 degrees and it was a cool night. 

When he put it back on the dyno and did a couple of quick runs, we noticed that it was running richer than before.  He just put the meter in the back side of the exhaust and didn't attach the wide band O2 sensors.  He said he wanted just a quick look.    He attached what ever meter to the front plug wire and the bike would hesitate on the dyno.  He told me to get that replaced and because of improper firing in the front cylinder, that could make the bike run rich.  He said the front plug wire was slightly cracked.  I didn't see a crack when I took it off and replaced it. Just some scratch marks on the plug wire which is from where I assume he had the clamp on the wire.

So I've been riding the past few days and it still seems to run really hot in traffic.  (80s here in Florida at night) but I would still notice the Power Vision showing temps of above 300 in traffic.

My thought is this...When he tuned it w/out the cap installed I was getting more air into the intake than what would normally come through the S&S Stealth air filter.  When he would save the tune on the power vision it would ask to scale or cap.  He scaled it and by the end of the tune I noticed that it changed the cubic inches of my 103 to 132.3!

I went out and ran 3 auto tunes (narrow band) over the tune he did and the delta VE numbers on the new tune show from -10 to -26.3.  Almost all of the cells I was able to populate on the city streets around here went into the negative quite a bit.  That was the front cylinder.  The rear cylinder did the same but not as drastic numbers.  This leaves me to believe that there was too much air moving through the motors to make the VE tables so high.  Is this correct or am I way off base here?  I don't know crap about any of this.  Just want my bike to run hard and not catch on fire...haha.

The tune he did does run well.  Just hot.  Highway I'm averaging 40-42 mpg depending if I do 70 or 80 mph.  City driving stinks and I get down to about 36 mpg.  That is also when it gets really hot.  I do have the EITMS turned off for now just to see how hot it would get.

Should I change the tune he did back to 103.3 CI and continue to do more auto tunes until I get down to only about a 5% change in VE tables?  Should I leave the CI at 132.3 and continue to auto tune over the top of that?

I know I will only be changing the narrow band settings and I'm okay with that.  As the bike sits now, I have 96 HP and 112 TQ.  Runs quick and pulls hard.  Just want to make sure I'm either not leaving performance on the table somewhere and more importantly that I don't overheat and blow the engine!

Short of wiping the slate clean and getting ANOTHER tune done, what should I do here?  Not a lot of guys to choose from in Central Florida for tuning.

I attached the tune he did along with the tune after 3 autotunes (not changing the cubic inches).

:emoGroan:

misfitJason

That high of scaling would seem to go against everything dynojet and the guys here have said.  It has been said not to go above 10 percent above the engines normal displacement   
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

Just Nick

Get it retuned some where else if he had to put it at 132 inch he should have stopped and looked to see what was going on. You are running it way to rich scale it back to 103 and do your runs until you can get it tuned again
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

strokerjlk

Apparently it is lean at cruise , according to your mileage and heat issue.
It is possible to have a ci constant of 132 and populate a Good ve table.
According to your power level , if you have the correct injector setting ( injector size that is in the bike) you would require a ci constant of 105-108 . Majority of stage 2 103's end up in this area .
If I was guessing it probably is lean as a popcorn fart at cruise and rich in the open loop areas.
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

eddfive

Looking at your file and the VE tables I would say you have a partially plugged fuel filter. This is why the VE's go so high around 3500 rpm for several rows and the CI was raised to 132 to keep them in spec. Your VE's at idle seem to be low as well. How many miles on the filter? If you put in a new filter the entire VE tables front and rear will have to be re-mapped and then you should be able to lower the CI constant down to 103-108. Just my opinion and thoughts.

strokerjlk

Quote from: eddfive on November 17, 2015, 09:24:43 AM
Looking at your file and the VE tables I would say you have a partially plugged fuel filter. This is why the VE's go so high around 3500 rpm for several rows and the CI was raised to 132 to keep them in spec. Your VE's at idle seem to be low as well. How many miles on the filter? If you put in a new filter the entire VE tables front and rear will have to be re-mapped and then you should be able to lower the CI constant down to 103-108. Just my opinion and thoughts.
I didn't look at the file .
But I have seen that happen Ed . Sounds like a good place to start .

Jamie Long

Been working with the OP, had him go back to the original FM base calibration with some adjustments and we have the bike running very good now. Currently assisting with some fine tuning and it will be right there.

strokerjlk

Quote from: Jamie Long on November 17, 2015, 04:26:11 PM
Been working with the OP, had him go back to the original FM base calibration with some adjustments and we have the bike running very good now. Currently assisting with some fine tuning and it will be right there.
Good on you Jamie  :beer:

Jamie Long

November 19, 2015, 08:26:42 AM #8 Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:33:11 AM by Jamie Long
I had the OP start over with a slightly revised version of the original supplied FM map. He worked on the tuning this week, this consisted of several seperate occasions of running three, 20 minute sessions using the Auto Tune basic application. Between each session he exported the learned corrections and updated the tune for the next session. After each tuning session we had him submit the new tune that was populated as well as a datalog of mixed riding running off the new tune for review. I made some adjustments along the way as well based on patterns etc..

Below are a few MLV screenshots of the latest log he provided, closed loop is averaging within about 1% correction for both CLI (short term) and AFF (long term) multipliers.