May 09, 2024, 03:32:44 PM

News:

Drain Plug

Started by 00se, November 27, 2015, 07:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

00se

November 27, 2015, 07:14:07 PM Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 07:50:47 PM by 00se
What is the size of the magnetic drain plug in the oil pan? thanks, Dave

Hossamania

Try again, you seem to be missing a key word in your question.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Just Nick

I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

FSG

IronMike113

Pig Latin.........  :hyst:  maybe not
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

00se

Ok, ok, the size of the oil drain plug in the oil pan?

FSG

1/2" Thread, 5/8" Head, 1/4" Allen

00se

November 27, 2015, 08:26:50 PM #8 Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 09:03:42 PM by 00se
1/2 - 20 I presume. Thanks.

BUBBIE

Don't forget to apply the "0" ring gasket on the plug.

That little bit of rubber Compression saves tightening it too much and stripping out the threads and keeps in the Drip...

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

FSG

charlie

He's missing something

dr evo1

koko3052

Drill a couple small holes across the head of the plug, that way you can wire it onto the frame & just keep it "gently tight" without fear of it ever coming out when riding!

Wicked

Quote from: koko3052 on November 28, 2015, 12:45:22 PM
Drill a couple small holes across the head of the plug, that way you can wire it onto the frame & just keep it "gently tight" without fear of it ever coming out when riding!
Just askin - but why?  If done correctly, it aint falling out...
Paul

koko3052

I believe it's what may be called "insurance" & "peace of mind". Have you EVER heard of someone stripping the threads?

Oclaf

Quote from: Wicked on November 28, 2015, 01:11:40 PM
Just askin - but why?  If done correctly, it aint falling out...
Paul

:agree:

Wicked

Quote from: koko3052 on November 28, 2015, 01:15:01 PM
I believe it's what may be called "insurance" & "peace of mind". Have you EVER heard of someone stripping the threads?
Of course I have. Then it becomes a breakdown which should be repaired accordingly. Unless you into racing, which by times/classes requires it, it's not needed. (well maybe Norton Commando exhaust spigots)....
Paul

koko3052

NO problem.... don't do it then. It was only a suggestion. :baby:

Admiral Akbar

if its a bagger or dyna, you don't want to do that. Wire will vibrate loose and rattle off.tie it to the tranny.

koko3052

You are correct Max.  :up:
I was just generalizing as I run a fatboy that has the plug fitting fastened to the frame so there is no vibration.
I tie all of the plugs for insurance & on the often stripped primary drain I fashioned a heavy stainless wire that just pushes inside of the allen plug to keep from loosing it should it ever become loose. That should give a guy time, on a long trip, to notice the leak and still have the plug.
Just my way.

00se

Quote from: BUBBIE on November 27, 2015, 09:21:37 PM
Don't forget to apply the "0" ring gasket on the plug.

That little bit of rubber Compression saves tightening it too much and stripping out the threads and keeps in the Drip...

signed....BUBBIE
The little "O" ring gasket. That my problem. Had a S&S 124 engine in my 2014 Street Glide. Dyno tune (check) break in started. 50 miles, change oil & filter (check) Due to some serious health problems the family, I was in a hurry to get this finished. New motor from S&S. Removed plug, drained oil, replaced plug. Soon after, realized there was no "O" ring on the motor from whoever. Probably Harley. No oil leak, 250 mile ride, no leak. I've got another miles before I have to decide what to do. Thanks for the shoulders to lean on. Dave

BUBBIE

00se.?

FOLLOW-UP;

Did you add the rubber "0" ring to your drain Plug.?...
They are inexpensive and usually last for more than one-two-three times if not tightened to hard to Squish-split the rubber...  :slap:

signed.....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

00se

I am going to change the oil in another 250 miles. I'll add the rubber o ring then.  I am also changing the location of the oil filter. Dave

starrider

December 07, 2015, 05:35:43 PM #24 Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 05:39:04 PM by starrider
i've been using permatex aviation gasket stuff...seems to keep the plug sealed...and i don't have to tighten plug much...just put some on the threads...

00se

Quote from: starrider on December 07, 2015, 05:35:43 PM
i've been using permatex aviation gasket stuff...seems to keep the plug sealed...and i don't have to tighten plug much...just put some on the threads...

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

moose

just ordered a package of 100 vitron o rings from McMaster Carr for only 9.95 after the dealer told me they wanted 1.00 each.

Moose aka Glenn-

DGlide04

Quote from: moose on December 08, 2015, 02:15:00 AM
just ordered a package of 100 vitron o rings from McMaster Carr for only 9.95 after the dealer told me they wanted 1.00 each.

Moose,

Do you have a McMaster part# for the rings?

Coyote

ThumperDeuce

Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.