April 27, 2024, 04:33:13 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Putting a '75 back on the road. Couple of questions.

Started by Carl 1969, December 04, 2015, 04:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl 1969

Long story short, my dad's giving me his '75 XLH & his '75 rigid stroker Shovel. Plan is to get the Sportie on the road & sell it to (partially) fund the Shovel's rebuild.

Sportie last ran in the early '80's, when the top end was pulled for a (botched) overbore & fresh pistons & has been in the shed since. Any not so obvious things to look out for?

Any decent manuals/reference materials available for the old girl?

Lastly, once I get 'er up, running & presentable, what's a '75 XLH worth? Or will I be money ahead to leave 'er alone & sell as a "project"?
Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben
Sergeant First Class, US Army, Retired

harleytuner

The "barn find condition" older bikes seem to bring the most interest, I'd get it mechanically sound and don't do anything cosmetic.  Drain all fluids, disassemble and clean carb.  Throw some new fuel line on it, .New spark plugs.  I usually Jack the rear, pull the plugs put it in the highest gear and spin the rear tie to make sure the engine isn't seized.  Once all that is done and the fluids and filter are fresh I remove the plugs and crank the starter until the oil light goes off.  If all is good go for it. One other thing, give the electrical connections a once over as well.

calif phil

A nice 75 XLH would be worth about $2500 around here.   

eglideic

I take it that " a (botched) overbore " means the cylinders aren't any good. Swap meets are coming up soon and Ebay might have some.

Carl 1969

Quote from: eglideic on December 06, 2015, 04:45:33 PM
I take it that " a (botched) overbore " means the cylinders aren't any good...

Yep. I haven't seen the bike in years, but it's been in a shed or garage the entire time.

Good to hear they're worth a buck or 2. Hope I can get 'er road worthy for short $, 'cos I'll be going through the old man's Shovel from soup to nuts & the Sportie'd bring a nice down-payment on that.

FWIW, the Shovel's an 86" stroker (4 1/2" S&S wheels, 3 1/2" bore) in a wishbone rigid of unknown year, but with the neck from the engine donor '75 FXE welded-in. Sifton 468S & dual 29mm Mikunis. FUN ride. Kicked over like a moped & started on the 1st or 2nd kick every time..

I was the last person to ride the bike in '87 & it has sat since, for many of those years under a tarp in the back yard. Intent is to get 'er back to 'er former glory & give 'er back to the old man. He hasn't ridden in almost 30 years & is dying to get back in the wind. I'ma bring that nasty Shovel back to life & then go for a putt with the old bastard. We've never ridden together & ain't neither one of us getting any younger.

harleytuner

Quote from: Carl 1969 on December 07, 2015, 02:35:41 PM
Quote from: eglideic on December 06, 2015, 04:45:33 PM
I take it that " a (botched) overbore " means the cylinders aren't any good...

That's awesome man. Can't wait to follow the build.  Cherish the times with your old man :up:

Yep. I haven't seen the bike in years, but it's been in a shed or garage the entire time.

Good to hear they're worth a buck or 2. Hope I can get 'er road worthy for short $, 'cos I'll be going through the old man's Shovel from soup to nuts & the Sportie'd bring a nice down-payment on that.

FWIW, the Shovel's an 86" stroker (4 1/2" S&S wheels, 3 1/2" bore) in a wishbone rigid of unknown year, but with the neck from the engine donor '75 FXE welded-in. Sifton 468S & dual 29mm Mikunis. FUN ride. Kicked over like a moped & started on the 1st or 2nd kick every time..

I was the last person to ride the bike in '87 & it has sat since, for many of those years under a tarp in the back yard. Intent is to get 'er back to 'er former glory & give 'er back to the old man. He hasn't ridden in almost 30 years & is dying to get back in the wind. I'ma bring that nasty Shovel back to life & then go for a putt with the old bastard. We've never ridden together & ain't neither one of us getting any younger.

Carl 1969

Thank you. It'll be a way's down the road before I'll be able to go get them, etc, but will deff post up when I start on the Sporty & ask a boatload of questions.

Any recommendations for manuals/references? Clymer, Haynes? or?

Racepres

Quote from: Carl 1969 on December 07, 2015, 08:03:07 PM

Any recommendations for manuals/references? Clymer, Haynes? or?

OE...I can't use those others...

Carl 1969

OE manual's my preference as well, but wasn't sure if they were available.

14Frisco

Quote from: Carl 1969 on December 08, 2015, 02:17:46 PM
OE manual's my preference as well, but wasn't sure if they were available.

Part# for the manual is 99484-78 - 1970-1978 XL/XLH/XLCH Service Manual. 

Carl 1969

Carl 1969

More questions.

Turns out I was mistaken on the year. It's a '74, so a right-side shifter.

And, old man says the top end issue is that his buddy had seized a piston. Got pistons & overbore done, but never put the bike back together. Dad trades him an old pontoon boat for it & when he gets to it a few years later, apparently they gave dude the wrong cylinders. Said something about '74 being an odd ball, something about the head bolt pattern. Did they change the heads slightly around that time? Some change-up in the cases maybe?

Racepres

Quote from: Carl 1969 on December 12, 2015, 02:13:23 PM
More questions.

Turns out I was mistaken on the year. It's a '74, so a right-side shifter.

And, old man says the top end issue is that his buddy had seized a piston. Got pistons & overbore done, but never put the bike back together. Dad trades him an old pontoon boat for it & when he gets to it a few years later, apparently they gave dude the wrong cylinders. Said something about '74 being an odd ball, something about the head bolt pattern. Did they change the heads slightly around that time? Some change-up in the cases maybe?

No
That was L'72 E'73.
The jugs and head pattern only match each other, but the bottom of the jugs go on any 1000cc

Carl 1969

So are the '74 heads n jugs a one year only thing? Wondering if I'd be better off to try to run down '74 jugs or later heads.

Racepres

Quote from: Carl 1969 on December 14, 2015, 08:52:36 AM
So are the '74 heads n jugs a one year only thing? Wondering if I'd be better off to try to run down '74 jugs or later heads.

No...'74 are the same as all the later ones.....Only '72 to early '73 were Odd!!!! The First 61 Inchers.

Carl 1969

Hmmm. Maybe he ended up with a pair of '72/'73 cylinders.

I'll just have to wait till I get the Sporty down here & can see for myself what's going on.

Racepres

Again...the '72 E'73 cylinders bolt right up...it is the head to cylinder interface that is a Bastard Fit.
'72 E'73 Heads only fit '72 E'73 cylinders....All 1000cc Cylinders bolt right up....

Carl 1969

Cool. Thanks.

My dad got the bike in '84 or so, so there could be a good bit of mis-remembering going on. I swear it had a disc brake up front, so it should be, earliest '73.

Eh well. Nothing I can do about it, 'till I get 'er in my grubby hands. I'd love to build a chop with it, but need the $ to get the old man's Shovel back up.

Racepres

December 14, 2015, 08:32:31 PM #18 Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 08:37:26 PM by Racepres
Quote from: Carl 1969 on December 14, 2015, 07:39:59 PM
My dad got the bike in '84 or so, so there could be a good bit of mis-remembering going on. I swear it had a disc brake up front, so it should be, earliest '73..

Yes, But, in '73 it could possibly still be oddball headbolt pattern.

There are alot of Cobbled up Ironhead Choppers/Bobbers out there. How many "Survivors" do you see????
$0.02

Edit; They can be OK Fairly Stock...I think.

revnrob

[attachimg=1]I really miss mine.  Was a fun little bike.

Hossamania

That right hand shift will take some getting used to.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

JW113

Um, isn't 1975 the first year for left side shift on sporties?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hossamania

He said he was mistaken, it's a '74. Could change the thread title.

Carl 1969

For some odd reason I can't edit my posts, let alone change the thread title.

Yeah, it's a '74. Could've sworn it was a '75 with that wonky cross-over linkage, but old man says it's a '74 & right side shifter. It'd be a fun chopper project, but need to sell the Sportster to fund the Shovel.

Racepres

Quote from: JW113 on January 24, 2016, 05:12:40 PM
Um, isn't 1975 the first year for left side shift on sporties?

-JW

Officially yes...The '75 '76 had a Rube Goldberg shifter/brake set-up to create left side shifting...the 1977 was the first true left side shift as well as the Minisump crank, and the Gerotor oil pump..

Hossamania

Quote from: Carl 1969 on January 24, 2016, 05:48:22 PM
For some odd reason I can't edit my posts, let alone change the thread title.

If you go to the post you want to edit, there is a line at the top that says "Modify ". Click on that and you can modify your post, including the title.

Carl 1969

It'll only let me edit my recent posts. The others it'll only let me quote.