March 28, 2024, 06:03:54 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Screamin Eagle V-Rod Cams / Noise / Engine Failure

Started by sfmichael, December 19, 2015, 05:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfmichael

Has anyone used the bolt in SE V-Rod cams? We installed a set and I don't know if the tech didn't have them timed correctly (our best tech but we don't do much V-Rod stuff) but anyway we experienced catastrophic engine failure when it was on the dyno. Not even revving the sh*t out of it, just doing some mild warm-up runs. No we didn't clay the motor, HD states these are bolt in cams.

We have since rebuilt the motor but are now gun-shy and after the rebuild, the top end is noisy (clatter) like it was the first time. I don't think it's outrageously loud but we have zero experience with anything beyond a Stage 1 with these motors. Noise seems acceptable to me when I compare the sound to a solid lifter car motor.
Colorado Springs, CO.

rigidthumper

I've never had a change in engine sounds with properly clearanced SE cams, but I've only done a dozen sets or so.  I have had to change shims in every SE cam job, tho- they are bolt in if timed correctly, and properly shimmed- if not, then all bets are off.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

rbabos

December 20, 2015, 08:30:30 AM #2 Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 09:09:50 AM by rbabos
I guess the obvious question is what failed the first time? There shouldn't be any more noise from the cams, or the difference would be hard to detect. Where you might get more noise is from the tb shafts if the bores are a tad sloppy. The reversion can be extreme with these cams and are known to bring on shaft failures more so then stock cams. Check them for cracking before it sucks a screw in. At least feel the shaft ends while running to see if this is the noise source.  There are custom full capture shafts avialable from a member on 1130cc.com which should be done with the cams in my view. Just so happen to have a set, non oem should the day come if I go different cam. Not sure I'd go SE however.
I have one area of concern. If this engine was ever turned backwards after the initial timing, especially if the secondary cam chain tensioner shims are not to minimum spec, it can jump timing in the valve train. Piston and valves become best friend then.
Ron

strokerjlk

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

sfmichael

thank you guys for the replies - certainly 'sounds' to me like valve train clatter. valve clearances are shimmed correctly but we will re-check them

as far as the earlier engine failure, I can only surmise that a valve contacted a piston. only one cylinder was hurt but it destroyed the piston, head, cylinder liner, and connecting rod - not pretty.

we replaced both pistons, the rods, the crank (just because:), and the cylinder head - this was a costly mistake and the bike only had 300 miles on it. needless to say the owner is super bummed and we're a little lost...

jim - the counter balancer is timed correctly, is it capable of making clatter noise? I'm assuming that you mean noise via the gears?
Colorado Springs, CO.

strokerjlk

Quote from: sfmichael on December 20, 2015, 10:56:25 PM
thank you guys for the replies - certainly 'sounds' to me like valve train clatter. valve clearances are shimmed correctly but we will re-check them

as far as the earlier engine failure, I can only surmise that a valve contacted a piston. only one cylinder was hurt but it destroyed the piston, head, cylinder liner, and connecting rod - not pretty.

we replaced both pistons, the rods, the crank (just because:), and the cylinder head - this was a costly mistake and the bike only had 300 miles on it. needless to say the owner is super bummed and we're a little lost...

jim - the counter balancer is timed correctly, is it capable of making clatter noise? I'm assuming that you mean noise via the gears?
if the counter balance is out of time it ,it causes more of a knocking noise . the noise travels from the bottom end to the top end.
side note: if you balance the crank/rods /pistons ,the counter balance needs removed .

rbabos

December 21, 2015, 07:51:39 AM #6 Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 07:58:14 AM by rbabos
Quote from: sfmichael on December 20, 2015, 10:56:25 PM

I don't think I'd remove the balancer on a street bike and have not heard it make any noise. Full blown racing sure for spool up reasons. Anyone who has taken it out complains about the extra vibes, much like removing them on a softail. This item is usually a non issue on a street bike.
One other thing that makes a small clatter or dull knocking sound is the slipper clutch at idle. Pulling the clutch in, it goes away. I guess it could be best described as what some call neutral rattle on the late model big twins. Check the settings on the secondary chain tensioners also. Can't see there being a problem being so new but worth looking at, just in case there was a shim originally and it was not put back in. The effect if too loose is clatter that goes away as the engine warms up, or stop once oil pressure extends the adjusters after a few seconds when first started. Very critical to be set correctly so chain tension is set manually with shim rather then sole reliance on hydro. Those are basically the only noises the engine can make. Valves will have a faint tick only if set correctly as in barely noticable.
Ron

strokerjlk

It has nothing to do with racing  . If you balance the motor , the counter balance needs to come off . If you don't it fights against itself and causes a knocking that travels with rpm .

strokerjlk

I doubt the engine in this case was balanced , if they used HD parts .
I just brought it up because if the balancer is out of time, it makes some weird knocking sounds.

rbabos

Quote from: strokerjlk on December 21, 2015, 01:49:49 PM
I just brought it up because if the balancer is out of time, it makes some weird knocking sounds.
Basically if it's far enough out of time the rod will hit it. :wink: Other wise it's a typical v twin that can only be balanced to a certain % and never 100% everywhere. Balancers take up some of the remaining vibes. They remove them for racing because it just adds spool up resistance, that's all.
Ron

strokerjlk

Quote from: rbabos on December 21, 2015, 06:49:27 PM
Basically if it's far enough out of time the rod will hit it. :wink: Other wise it's a typical v twin that can only be balanced to a certain % and never 100% everywhere. Balancers take up some of the remaining vibes. They remove them for racing because it just adds spool up resistance, that's all.
Ron
I am going on what was told to my pit buddy,  when he ran the balanced motor with a counter balance . 
after the fact and when it was trashed, we asked Chaz Kennedy and his dad (crew chief) if what he was told was true. they confirmed and told us that he should have removed the counter balance. maybe your right. it might just be common to remove for racing no matter what. I am just parroting what we were told.
he is racing my old bike now. but he has this love /hate thing going on with this v rod. I expect it to be rebuilt one more time  :banghead:

rbabos

Quote from: strokerjlk on December 21, 2015, 10:02:01 PM
Quote from: rbabos on December 21, 2015, 06:49:27 PM
Ron
I am going on what was told to my pit buddy,  when he ran the balanced motor with a counter balance . 
after the fact and when it was trashed, we asked Chaz Kennedy and his dad (crew chief) if what he was told was true. they confirmed and told us that he should have removed the counter balance. maybe your right. it might just be common to remove for racing no matter what. I am just parroting what we were told.
he is racing my old bike now. but he has this love /hate thing going on with this v rod. I expect it to be rebuilt one more time  :banghead:
I'd probably remove it for a race dedicated bike myself. Two reasons. Just one more pile of mass the engine needs to speed up when going to rev limit. Also street bikes, even mine occaisonally see the 9k rev limit without issues but racing only, especially if the rev limit is bumped to 10k it might be pushing the design limit of shaft or bearings. Only a guess on that design limit but basically it's an item one can do without on the track as it only has negatives there.  On the other hand, I've not read of a single cb failure on the standard grocery grabber v rods. I understand the love hate v rod thing. More love then hate for me as I'm always smiling when pulling back into the shop after a great days ride.
Ron
Ron

sfmichael

again thanks for the input - definitely going to pull the covers back off and verify cam timing and valve clearances - I'd definitely say it's louder than stock

we're about ready to pull these cams and go back with stock, we can't buy another motor - this was a costly failure
Colorado Springs, CO.

strokerjlk

Ya might try calling Brian at valley racing . He wrenches on and sponsors a v rod .
Run it by him and see what he says .

sfmichael

Quote from: strokerjlk on December 22, 2015, 04:42:20 PM
Ya might try calling Brian at valley racing . He wrenches on and sponsors a v rod .

10-4 - thanks  :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

rbabos

December 23, 2015, 08:20:10 AM #15 Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 10:59:34 AM by rbabos
Quote from: sfmichael on December 22, 2015, 04:43:32 PM
Quote from: strokerjlk on December 22, 2015, 04:42:20 PM

10-4 - thanks  :up:
I would verify timing, valve shims and tensioners first. Once all that is ruled out describing the sound will not have effect from something mechanical that most never hear.  Like a said, the intake track will be a bit louder in the shafts /plate area but cams should be next to no difference in sound. Most owners scream with delight at the extra 15+ hp with a good tune , even with a tad more intake noise.
Two points. If you did the airbox mod there will be some additional noise transmitted up to hear. The other issue is special non OEM shims are required for the Stage 2 cams to get clearances in spec. Not sure what you used because OEM shims only go to 3.00mm and these cams might need more. :scratch:
Give http://www.fitzgeraldmotorsports.com/ a shout for custom sizes.
Ron

sfmichael

Thanks for all the help guys  :up:

Boss and the tech have decided they don't want to use these cams. We opened her up this am and checked the cam timing and valve clearances - all good. We're afraid of another failure with all the noise.

Who's got the best aftermarket cams for these?
Colorado Springs, CO.

speedzter

Before going further I'd be trying the
Stock Cams  again if you haven't already.

sfmichael

Quote from: speedzter on December 29, 2015, 02:39:40 PM

too much work just to check it out especially since the customer has his heart set on performance cams
Colorado Springs, CO.

rbabos

You could try what these people offer.  I personally have no experience with them but from what I've read some prefer them to the SE.
http://jonescams.com/h-d-v-rod/
Also there are a few more here, as well as spec sheet to help in decision.
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/vrodcams.htm
Don't understand why the ones you have are so noisy but it's probably time to move on to something else. I understand.
Ron

speedzter

Quote from: sfmichael on December 29, 2015, 03:46:50 PM
too much work just to check it out especially since the customer has his heart set on performance cams

I understand he wants to upgrade, but if it were me, I would like to get back to a nice quiet baseline to work from.
I have two mates with the Vrod SE stage 2 cams, and both bikes are quiet from what I can tell.
Both had some serious Dyno time, and numbers were good.
I just ordered a shim kit for my 4 Cam KTM950 that uses the same shims as the Vrod !
At least the KTM has gear drive Cams, so it makes shim checks easier !

Makes no sense why it has valve train noise if set up right. :nix:

rbabos

Quote from: speedzter on December 29, 2015, 11:19:53 PM
Quote from: sfmichael on December 29, 2015, 03:46:50 PM

I understand he wants to upgrade, but if it were me, I would like to get back to a nice quiet baseline to work from.
I have two mates with the Vrod SE stage 2 cams, and both bikes are quiet from what I can tell.
Both had some serious Dyno time, and numbers were good.
I just ordered a shim kit for my 4 Cam KTM950 that uses the same shims as the Vrod !
At least the KTM has gear drive Cams, so it makes shim checks easier !

Makes no sense why it has valve train noise if set up right. :nix:
I agree, something ain't right.
Ron

Hal64hd

December 30, 2015, 01:53:38 PM #22 Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:01:30 PM by Hal64hd
I also agree that something isn't right and not the cams. I would stick the stock cams back in and recheck it, rather than purchasing another set of cams and find you still have a problem. The SE II cams would not be that noisy if set up right. I know of 12 others that had the SE cams put in, and no excessive loud noises.

sfmichael

I called Brian (thanks Jim) and he took time out of his day and was very helpful.

I also called Jones (thanks Ron) to get some different cams but they don't have any and wouldn't be producing any more till mid spring / early summer. He didn't have much patience for my call but I totally get that. I ran my own shop for years and sometimes tired of being the "Shell Answer Man" (if anybody gets my lame reference:)

So maybe borescope and see if valves are hitting, should be easy to see with new pistons. I read on 1130cc forum and Brian and many others have said these cams work well. Hope we didn't get a f'd up set. Brian also suggested degreeing them, it may come to that (PITA). My boss is ready to wash his hands of it and send the bike back out with the stock cams. I don't want to give up on this and I feel as the dealer we need to figure this mf-r out.
Colorado Springs, CO.

rbabos

December 30, 2015, 03:43:25 PM #24 Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 04:09:58 PM by rbabos
I don't mean to nag , just offering suggestions . I'd verify the correct sprocket is on the correct cam. Note the number of dots and line for each. Also make sure the spacers are in the correct spots. Outside gears on front head and inside gears on rear head.
I think it's in page 3-29 in the service manual that shows all relationships to cam to sprocket assembly. Looks like the intakes at least could be swapped incorrectly, engine might run but piston won't be happy even though all timing marks look right. With the exception of the dot count per each cam.
Also note front cyl needs to be at tdc, case to triple sprocket index marks match first, then time the rest. Late models don't use the tdc locking pin any more so it could move from tdc when working on it.

Ron

sfmichael

Thanks Ron, bike is a 2015 and I keep thinking is assembled incorrectly some way. Tech is super good with almost 10 yrs experience but doesn't work on VRods much at all and therefore doesn't like them. My boss is also a stellar tech but doesn't know or like VRods either. I'm a pretty darn good car tech (if I may say that) but am afraid of trying to step in and double check their work. I'm a service advisor / Asst Mgr here and I'm sure not expected to interfere in such things. I already caught one mistake when my boss was building the short block and not tooting my horn but I feel (know) these guys are out of their element.
We may be fkd here. I'd like to ship the motor to someone and have it built...
Colorado Springs, CO.

FSG

I had to look being that I know next to nothing about V-Rods.

rbabos

Quote from: sfmichael on December 30, 2015, 09:19:30 PM
Thanks Ron, bike is a 2015 and I keep thinking is assembled incorrectly some way. Tech is super good with almost 10 yrs experience but doesn't work on VRods much at all and therefore doesn't like them. My boss is also a stellar tech but doesn't know or like VRods either. I'm a pretty darn good car tech (if I may say that) but am afraid of trying to step in and double check their work. I'm a service advisor / Asst Mgr here and I'm sure not expected to interfere in such things. I already caught one mistake when my boss was building the short block and not tooting my horn but I feel (know) these guys are out of their element.
We may be fkd here. I'd like to ship the motor to someone and have it built...
Talk about a rock and a hard place? I understand your situation and must be frustrating as hell. The pic FSG has posted has it all. Note #20 as a possible suspect. Get that wrong and no worky. Everything else is obvious by looking at it.
Ron

strokerjlk

sfmichael

Quote from: strokerjlk on February 11, 2016, 12:26:06 PM
update? find anything ?

We pussed out and bought the back back. Stock cams went back in and now we'll try to sell the bike. We were scared we'd blow it up again. I had no say and of course want whatever is best for the business.
Whatever caused it - it was a costly mistake...

Seems to run good now. We replaced the crank and half the motor - should be okay now I hope.
Colorado Springs, CO.

strokerjlk

Quote from: sfmichael on February 16, 2016, 09:16:28 PM
update? find anything ?

We pussed out and bought the back back. Stock cams went back in and now we'll try to sell the bike. We were scared we'd blow it up again. I had no say and of course want whatever is best for the business.

Seems to run good now. We replaced the crank and half the motor - should be okay now I hope.
well thats better than knocking er in the head.

rbabos

update? find anything ?

It's a shame. So many back yard hacks manage the SE stage 2 cams without issues, yet factory trained techs failed at it. I can only imagine your frustration with the whole deal knowing full well you could have nailed it.
Ron

sfmichael

Quote from: strokerjlk on February 17, 2016, 05:36:59 AM
update? find anything ?

well thats better than knocking er in the head.

roger that  :teeth:
Colorado Springs, CO.

sfmichael

Quote from: rbabos on February 17, 2016, 06:17:44 AM
update? find anything ?

It's a shame. So many back yard hacks manage the SE stage 2 cams without issues, yet factory trained techs failed at it. I can only imagine your frustration with the whole deal knowing full well you could have nailed it.
Ron

Very true Ron and I wish I knew what caused the failure. Could've been defective parts, we'll never know. The tech is damn sharp, but nobody's perfect. I really wanted to run the cams again but it wasn't my call...and the bike may sell better as stock rather than modified. I've never ridden one an am afraid to in case I may be bitten by yet another motorcycle bug...damn these iron horses.  :smiled:

Thank you guys for your insight and for steering me to some knowledgeable guys that freely offered good advice and were willing to help long-distance - I really appreciate it  :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.