March 28, 2024, 10:12:41 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Screamin Eagle V-Rod Cams / Noise / Engine Failure

Started by sfmichael, December 19, 2015, 05:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfmichael

Thanks Ron, bike is a 2015 and I keep thinking is assembled incorrectly some way. Tech is super good with almost 10 yrs experience but doesn't work on VRods much at all and therefore doesn't like them. My boss is also a stellar tech but doesn't know or like VRods either. I'm a pretty darn good car tech (if I may say that) but am afraid of trying to step in and double check their work. I'm a service advisor / Asst Mgr here and I'm sure not expected to interfere in such things. I already caught one mistake when my boss was building the short block and not tooting my horn but I feel (know) these guys are out of their element.
We may be fkd here. I'd like to ship the motor to someone and have it built...
Colorado Springs, CO.

FSG

I had to look being that I know next to nothing about V-Rods.

rbabos

Quote from: sfmichael on December 30, 2015, 09:19:30 PM
Thanks Ron, bike is a 2015 and I keep thinking is assembled incorrectly some way. Tech is super good with almost 10 yrs experience but doesn't work on VRods much at all and therefore doesn't like them. My boss is also a stellar tech but doesn't know or like VRods either. I'm a pretty darn good car tech (if I may say that) but am afraid of trying to step in and double check their work. I'm a service advisor / Asst Mgr here and I'm sure not expected to interfere in such things. I already caught one mistake when my boss was building the short block and not tooting my horn but I feel (know) these guys are out of their element.
We may be fkd here. I'd like to ship the motor to someone and have it built...
Talk about a rock and a hard place? I understand your situation and must be frustrating as hell. The pic FSG has posted has it all. Note #20 as a possible suspect. Get that wrong and no worky. Everything else is obvious by looking at it.
Ron

strokerjlk

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

sfmichael

Quote from: strokerjlk on February 11, 2016, 12:26:06 PM
update? find anything ?

We pussed out and bought the back back. Stock cams went back in and now we'll try to sell the bike. We were scared we'd blow it up again. I had no say and of course want whatever is best for the business.
Whatever caused it - it was a costly mistake...

Seems to run good now. We replaced the crank and half the motor - should be okay now I hope.
Colorado Springs, CO.

strokerjlk

Quote from: sfmichael on February 16, 2016, 09:16:28 PM
update? find anything ?

We pussed out and bought the back back. Stock cams went back in and now we'll try to sell the bike. We were scared we'd blow it up again. I had no say and of course want whatever is best for the business.

Seems to run good now. We replaced the crank and half the motor - should be okay now I hope.
well thats better than knocking er in the head.
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

rbabos

update? find anything ?

It's a shame. So many back yard hacks manage the SE stage 2 cams without issues, yet factory trained techs failed at it. I can only imagine your frustration with the whole deal knowing full well you could have nailed it.
Ron

sfmichael

Quote from: strokerjlk on February 17, 2016, 05:36:59 AM
update? find anything ?

well thats better than knocking er in the head.

roger that  :teeth:
Colorado Springs, CO.

sfmichael

Quote from: rbabos on February 17, 2016, 06:17:44 AM
update? find anything ?

It's a shame. So many back yard hacks manage the SE stage 2 cams without issues, yet factory trained techs failed at it. I can only imagine your frustration with the whole deal knowing full well you could have nailed it.
Ron

Very true Ron and I wish I knew what caused the failure. Could've been defective parts, we'll never know. The tech is damn sharp, but nobody's perfect. I really wanted to run the cams again but it wasn't my call...and the bike may sell better as stock rather than modified. I've never ridden one an am afraid to in case I may be bitten by yet another motorcycle bug...damn these iron horses.  :smiled:

Thank you guys for your insight and for steering me to some knowledgeable guys that freely offered good advice and were willing to help long-distance - I really appreciate it  :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.