May 10, 2024, 06:40:21 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Nikasil Cylinders

Started by aaa1988, December 26, 2015, 05:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaa1988

Looks like I'll just stay with the original cylinders and have them bored. I'll just use the extra money towards something else like speaker upgrade or extended bags. Thanks guys
2013 FLHX Denim Black

jmorton10

Quote from: rigidorbust on December 26, 2015, 07:48:35 AM
http://lnengineering.com/resources/2014/02/28/the-secrets-behind-nickies/

Quote from that article:

Chevrolet Vega was among the first of the vehicles to use this new material technology. Needless to say, the Vega did not have a good reliability

Boy is that an understatement. I was a flat-rate line mechanic in a Chevy dealer back in those days.  Those vegas would come in with 5000 miles on them smoking like a crop duster.  When I pulled the head, there would be 1/8" grooves down the cylinder wall.

Chevy would then pay under warranty to replace the short block.  I must have done 100 of those jobs, I think I could have done them with my eyes closed LOL.  At one point, our service manager asked me to do him a favor. I was doing the short block replacements faster than any other tech (I did three in one day once) and he wanted me to do ALL the vega jobs coming in.  It was not a great money maker on flat-rate so he told me "don't worry, I'll make that up to you in other ways", which he did.

It got so bad that Chevy extended the warranty to unlimited miles (there where customers on their 3rd & 4th engines)  I had all the work I could handle for quite some time from that debacle LOL.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

N-gin

I was going to get a pair but the bad rap of them failing from rings, wraping, and or cleanliness during assembly steered me away..
I'm going with Delkron.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

strokerjlk

Quote from: strokerjlk on December 26, 2015, 01:49:56 PM
Quote from: No Cents on December 26, 2015, 11:58:53 AM
  I'm not a Nikasil kind of guy...but can someone please explain to me how TR (Tman) has had such good success with using the Nikasil cylinders over the years? That one has always puzzled me how we don't hear of his Nikasil cylinders having issues.

Jim...what caused the cylinders to do that you think?
Is that Black Diamonds 117?

Ray
Yeah it is Jeffs bike Lexi. i didn't snap any pics when i went by to see them. the guy doing the work has sent them out already, so I may not get any pics.
I am not sure what caused the damage. it was refitted with new rings once already, and the pistons were coated in an attempt to fix it .
work was all done at another shop and R/P was involved .
my buddy has her torn apart now. going back together with Axtell cylinders .
the cylinders are getting re-coated. the guy said he could coat the cylinders to better match the pistons. who knows?
i wouldn't waste my time or money. I think the guy is just trying to prove a point to my buddy that is doing the work.and isn't charging a arm and a leg.

my buddy Mark found the problem/problems,with this one.at least for this last go around  :banghead:
someone along the way installed ,or when re installing the feuling cam plate and oil pump,left a dowel out,and used the wrong screws on pump and plate.
the plate was cocked and this caused the cam plate to wear and cause the pinion shaft clearance to go in excess of .030. oil pressure had to be low,top end was not getting much oil at all.piston oilers were not doing anything .
top that off the threads were striped in the case. he split the cases,bored the striped thread holes and made press in inserts,that have a fresh 1/4"thread now.
Lexi the B from Hell. :slap: 
still going back with Axtell cylinders and JE pistons. it will be interesting to see what the Nikasil cylinders come back looking like.

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

Black Diamond

Quote from: strokerjlk on January 03, 2016, 03:27:41 AM
Quote from: strokerjlk on December 26, 2015, 01:49:56 PM
Quote from: No Cents on December 26, 2015, 11:58:53 AM
  I'm not a Nikasil kind of guy...but can someone please explain to me how TR (Tman) has had such good success with using the Nikasil cylinders over the years? That one has always puzzled me how we don't hear of his Nikasil cylinders having issues.

Jim...what caused the cylinders to do that you think?
Is that Black Diamonds 117?

Ray
Yeah it is Jeffs bike Lexi. i didn't snap any pics when i went by to see them. the guy doing the work has sent them out already, so I may not get any pics.
I am not sure what caused the damage. it was refitted with new rings once already, and the pistons were coated in an attempt to fix it .
work was all done at another shop and R/P was involved .
my buddy has her torn apart now. going back together with Axtell cylinders .
the cylinders are getting re-coated. the guy said he could coat the cylinders to better match the pistons. who knows?
i wouldn't waste my time or money. I think the guy is just trying to prove a point to my buddy that is doing the work.and isn't charging a arm and a leg.

my buddy Mark found the problem/problems,with this one.at least for this last go around  :banghead:
someone along the way installed ,or when re installing the feuling cam plate and oil pump,left a dowel out,and used the wrong screws on pump and plate.
the plate was cocked and this caused the cam plate to wear and cause the pinion shaft clearance to go in excess of .030. oil pressure had to be low,top end was not getting much oil at all.piston oilers were not doing anything .
top that off the threads were striped in the case. he split the cases,bored the striped thread holes and made press in inserts,that have a fresh 1/4"thread now.
Lexi the B from Hell. :slap: 
still going back with Axtell cylinders and JE pistons. it will be interesting to see what the Nikasil cylinders come back looking like.

You forgot about the cam chain tensioner being assembled incorrectly.  This allowed the chain to whip striking the top of the oil pump which was probably causing the noise I heard.  Of course that lead to discovering all the other issues.  Additionally the rear exhaust seal was stuck to the valve.  I could go on but ...

JW

No Cents

JW...you need to have an exorcism done to that bike.
I think it's possessed.

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Black Diamond

Quote from: No Cents on January 03, 2016, 08:03:49 AM
I think it's possessed.

Ray

Man do I hear that.  When I pulled in at Jim's she puked oil all over his concrete pad.  Just her way of telling me to F Off. 

JW

No Cents

January 03, 2016, 08:10:08 AM #32 Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 08:12:34 AM by No Cents
Quote from: Black Diamond on January 03, 2016, 08:06:07 AM
I think it's possessed.

Ray

Man do I hear that.  When I pulled in at Jim's she puked oil all over his concrete pad.  Just her way of telling me to F Off. 

JW

:hyst:
  take that thing to a bike christening this spring and see what happens when the priest sprinkles holy water on it.
If it starts lifting off the ground or making funny noises...I'd run away fast.   :wink:

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Black Diamond

Tried that, water evaporated mid-air. 

I'm not sure I can have an opinion on the Nikasil at this time.  The oil circulation issue negates the cylinder issue.  I can say when she got torn down after 6000 miles when the circlip snapped taking out the oil pump, the Nikasil cylinders looked good as new. 

JW

FlaHeatWave

Quote from: Black Diamond on January 03, 2016, 08:21:00 AM

I'm not sure I can have an opinion on the Nikasil at this time.  The oil circulation issue negates the cylinder issue.  I can say when she got torn down after 6000 miles when the circlip snapped taking out the oil pump, the Nikasil cylinders looked good as new. 

JW

Wow! And the hits just keep on comin'...
'01 FXDWG2 Red 103/6sp  '05 FLHTCSE2 Cherry  '09 FLTRSE3 Yellow 117/DD7

Black Diamond

mrmike

Maybe get Preacher to shake a dead chicken over it when she's all buttoned up.

Can't hurt

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

strokerjlk

JW
though that happen on Axtell cylinders?  then the Nikasil went on?

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: mrmike on January 03, 2016, 11:22:44 AM

Can't hurt

Mike

I think Preach is more in to doo-doo than chicken Voo-Doo.   -Rick

Black Diamond

January 04, 2016, 10:28:59 AM #39 Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 10:31:40 AM by Black Diamond
Quote from: strokerjlk on January 03, 2016, 12:34:18 PM

JW

Nope.  Switched 598's for the -1's cams was all that was done when the circlip ear snapped off.  Of course the switch didn't work out either.

JW

strokerjlk

Quote from: Black Diamond on January 04, 2016, 10:28:59 AM

JW

Nope.  Switched 598's for the -1's cams was all that was done when the circlip ear snapped off.  Of course the switch didn't work out either.

JW
:up:
Can't keep up with her .  :banghead:

sfmichael

Quote from: Black Diamond on January 03, 2016, 08:06:07 AM
I think it's possessed.

Ray

Man do I hear that.  When I pulled in at Jim's she puked oil all over his concrete pad.  Just her way of telling me to F off

JW

:teeth:
Colorado Springs, CO.

IronMike113

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on January 03, 2016, 10:52:34 PM
Quote from: mrmike on January 03, 2016, 11:22:44 AM

Can't hurt

Mike

I think Preach is more in to doo-doo than chicken Voo-Doo.   -Rick

I concur with Rick......  :agree:
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

FlaHeatWave

Quote from: Black Diamond on January 04, 2016, 10:28:59 AM

JW

JW

Guessing the latest drama was after MV??

Black Diamond

1st noticed it during that trip. 

Eglider05

Quote from: PoorUB on December 26, 2015, 06:31:36 AM
I for one do not consider Nikasil an upgrade. Cast iron sleeves will run 100,000 miles and are well proven.

:agree:

jmorton10

Quote from: Eglider05 on January 05, 2016, 09:07:47 AM
I for one do not consider Nikasil an upgrade. Cast iron sleeves will run 100,000 miles and are well proven.

I dealt with that scumbag Nalin also, I realize he is gone, but after that experience I wouldn't use Nikasil if they where giving them away free at this point.

I know a lot of people feel the same way about Axtell Aluminum TC cylinders also.  I am stuck with a set of those things (117") also, somebody recently described those as "heavy aluminum paperweights" LOL.

The set I have are in mint shape & very cool looking, but I would never use them to build a motor for a stranger at this point (I might use them to build a motor for a friend, but only after thoroughly explaining all the things that could possibly go wrong with them)

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Eglider05

Quote from: jmorton10 on January 06, 2016, 06:17:37 AM

(I might use them to build a motor for a friend, but only after thoroughly explaining all the things that could possibly go wrong with them)

~John

Even then I wouldn't because I'd be the guy having to go back in like I did on mine 3 times. Nope, no way in hell I would ever use them again.

Rick

FlaHeatWave

Quote from: Eglider05 on January 06, 2016, 06:38:47 AM
Quote from: jmorton10 on January 06, 2016, 06:17:37 AM

(I might use them to build a motor for a friend, but only after thoroughly explaining all the things that could possibly go wrong with them)

~John

Even then I wouldn't because I'd be the guy having to go back in like I did on mine 3 times. Nope, no way in hell I would ever use them again.

Rick

For all you folks having problems with the Nikasils; When did the problems start (how many miles) and what were the actual problems? What year did you install the Nikasils? looking to see if there were (production) bugs that got sorted out over time??

Don D

Put the plates on any cylinders and measure them over the course of a few weeks. Results will be interesting