April 23, 2024, 02:20:48 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Smack-A-Hoe 124

Started by turboprop, January 08, 2016, 05:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rageglide

Quote from: turboprop on January 08, 2016, 01:15:42 PM

I made three pans. Two for me, one for Paul Morris.

11th Commandment clearly states, one shall not cut an FXR frame. No mods to the frame required. The oil modified oil pan clears both cross members, the right side too control and the kickstand bracket on the crossmember.

Ahhhh.    Yes I would agree, thou shalt not modify the FXR frame.  I have a hard time with the concept of cutting up any clean survivor frame.
Two custom Rocker covers in the works?

turboprop

Quote from: Durwood on January 08, 2016, 02:16:03 PM
Looks awesome Ed!!! Great work as usual :up:

Is this bike's you are planning on taking to the Expo?

Thanks Daren. This is for one of the bikes that is possibly going to Cinci. There are issues right now that are being worked, i.e. the painter, the exhibiting company and paying my expenses, some carbon fiber components still haven't arrived, etc. Feel like I am in one of those silly bike building TV shows with a stupid deadline to meet.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

turboprop

Quote from: rageglide on January 08, 2016, 02:22:14 PM
Quote from: turboprop on January 08, 2016, 01:15:42 PM

I made three pans. Two for me, one for Paul Morris.

11th Commandment clearly states, one shall not cut an FXR frame. No mods to the frame required. The oil modified oil pan clears both cross members, the right side too control and the kickstand bracket on the crossmember.

Ahhhh.    Yes I would agree, thou shalt not modify the FXR frame.  I have a hard time with the concept of cutting up any clean survivor frame.
Two custom Rocker covers in the works?

No need for custom rocker boxes, yet. The engine was mocked up for height in the frame. Plenty of clearance then and the heads have since been shaved a few times.

Additionally, I had planned and sourced a set of S&S billet rocker boxes for this. While mocking up I realized how difficult it is to get the top covers in and out on the rear head. The top cover for the billet boxes has mounting screws that are inboard, in a somewhat stock evo location. The cast boxes have their mounting bolts along the outer perimeter of the top cover. Much easier to work with within the FXR chassis. The oem harley boxes that I wanted to use are incompatible with the S&S compression releases. The final rocker box set up consists of S&S cast boxes, Baisley corrected geometry rockers, Rocker Lockers, S&S electronic compression releases and the S&S heads have been machined to use standard Evo style head breathers.

turboprop

January 08, 2016, 03:13:35 PM #28 Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 03:39:04 PM by turboprop
Quote from: 1FSTRK on January 08, 2016, 01:31:55 PM
Quote from: turboprop on January 08, 2016, 01:13:08 PM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on January 08, 2016, 01:01:57 PM
What did you end up doing for an inner primary case?

A standard FXR inner primary bolts on, no issues. I have a small pile of Delkron inners, one of them will be used here.

Yes I knew it would. I just wondered if you went with stock or the Delkron.
The 124's with Evo style mounts I have seen in the FXR frames have always require attention to detail where the primary is concerned for strength reasons.
The best results were from the heavier inner or the stock one if it was hollow doweled to the engine case and the engine case, trans case, and inner primary were all set up on a surface plate or mill so there was no twist or pull when any bolt was tightened.
Great looking project, look forward to following your progress.

Aligning the FXR trans case, engine case and inner primary has always been an issue. My red FXR has a .055" shim plate between the trans and engine mounting surfaces. And that is with all Delkron cases (engine, trans and inner primary).

Last year at Cinci I met with people from Delkron to show them the issue. I had a set of oem engine, trans and inner primary cases as well as a set of Delkron stuff and all the hardware to bolt everything together. No matter what combination we used, the FXR trans case required .080", yep eighty thousandths, of a shim between the engine and trans to get the inner to slip on and off without binding. That was after loosening and snugging bolts in different sequences to get everything in a happy unstressed position. The Delkron people were surprised and I gave them the evo engine and trans case to take with them for measuring.

The current setup is an S&S case with evo style rear mount, an oem harley FL trans case from a late model bagger, and a Delkron inner primary. Everything fits together very nicely. Once the engine to trans mounting bolts are tightened, the inner can be unbolted and slipped on and off without any issue.

1FSTRK

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Soft 02

07 FXST 124" Vee Twin built!
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

Durwood

January 08, 2016, 03:43:32 PM #31 Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 06:50:30 PM by Durwood
Quote from: turboprop on January 08, 2016, 02:57:01 PM
Quote from: Durwood on January 08, 2016, 02:16:03 PM
Looks awesome Ed!!! Great work as usual :up:

Is this one of the bike's you are planning on taking to the Expo?

Thanks Daren. This is for one of the bikes that is possibly going to Cinci. There are issues right now that are being worked, i.e. the painter, the exhibiting company and paying my expenses, some carbon fiber components still haven't arrived, etc. Feel like I am in one of those silly bike building TV shows with a stupid deadline to meet.
I meant to say "one of the bikes". Corrected now :embarrassed:

rageglide

Quote from: turboprop on January 08, 2016, 03:04:18 PM

No need for custom rocker boxes, yet. The engine was mocked up for height in the frame. Plenty of clearance then and the heads have since been shaved a few times.

Additionally, I had planned and sourced a set of S&S billet rocker boxes for this. While mocking up I realized how difficult it is to get the top covers in and out on the rear head. The top cover for the billet boxes has mounting screws that are inboard, in a somewhat stock evo location. The cast boxes have their mounting bolts along the outer perimeter of the top cover. Much easier to work with within the FXR chassis. The oem harley boxes that I wanted to use are incompatible with the S&S compression releases. The final rocker box set up consists of S&S cast boxes, Baisley corrected geometry rockers, Rocker Lockers, S&S electronic compression releases and the S&S heads have been machined to use standard Evo style head breathers.

Looks tight from here. ;-)   I always appreciated that little extra space freed up by milled heads - on a softail.  Which seems like a cake walk in comparison to your set up. 

Sounds like it's going to be a neat hybrid and sure to attract plenty of eye prints...   :up:

PanHeadRed

11th Commandment clearly states, one shall not cut an FXR frame

Amen.

I slapped a TC engine in My FXR with FXR trans using an adapter plate. The elevated oil tank has not been a problem.

Nice project. Looks great.

turboprop

Quote from: rageglide on January 08, 2016, 03:51:27 PM
Quote from: turboprop on January 08, 2016, 03:04:18 PM

Looks tight from here. ;-)   I always appreciated that little extra space freed up by milled heads - on a softail.  Which seems like a cake walk in comparison to your set up. 

Sounds like it's going to be a neat hybrid and sure to attract plenty of eye prints...   :up:

Thanks. The FXR chassis is constrained for space. A friend has a 131 wedged into his FXR and it is quite a challenge to work on. Typically, the engine can be lowered at the front engine mount to make room on the rear rocker box, but with the 131 the front rocker box will hit the frame if it is lowered just a little bit. Much easier to use an engine with shorter height. Next engine will probably have a 4" or shorter stroke.

I really give a dam about eye prints or anything else. The only reasons my bikes have been to Cinci is the various companies pay for my trip and the pro-bono parts hookups I get as a result of the bikes being there.

Here are a few pics of my other FXRs;

misfitJason

2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

CowboyTutt

World Class build Ed, World Class!  Thanks for sharing!  :beer: -Tutt

jam65

Very nice stable of bikes you have there Ed. Damn!

TorQuePimp

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: turboprop on January 08, 2016, 03:13:35 PM
[snip]
Last year at Cinci I met with people from Delkron to show them the issue. I had a set of oem engine, trans and inner primary cases as well as a set of Delkron stuff and all the hardware to bolt everything together. No matter what combination we used, the FXR trans case required .080", yep eighty thousandths, of a shim between the engine and trans to get the inner to slip on and off without binding. That was after loosening and snugging bolts in different sequences to get everything in a happy unstressed position. The Delkron people were surprised and I gave them the evo engine and trans case to take with them for measuring.

The current setup is an S&S case with evo style rear mount, an oem harley FL trans case from a late model bagger, and a Delkron inner primary. Everything fits together very nicely. Once the engine to trans mounting bolts are tightened, the inner can be unbolted and slipped on and off without any issue.

0.080?  Wouldn't call that a shim.. I'd call that a spacer..  :wink:  Who's the ugly guy in the pic?

turboprop

Quote from: Max Headflow on January 08, 2016, 07:45:48 PM
Quote from: turboprop on January 08, 2016, 03:13:35 PM
[snip]

0.080?  Wouldn't call that a shim.. I'd call that a spacer..  :wink:  Who's the ugly guy in the pic?

That guy, he is just a non-paid, will work for beer, booth setter upper. Sharp dresser though.

rageglide

I would love to add an FXR to my stable, but need to swap out, no space!   Would love to see those bikes in person.  Attention to detail is world class! 

Working on friends FXRs was always interesting, different than rigid mounted.  A few challenges, such as you noted drop the front to get to the rear.  Of course the stock evo isn't a big deal in that regard.  Pulling an oil pump had me cussing a bit...

When I built my 120R one of the reasons I didn't go 124+ was the added height.  In retrospect a non-issue...

Breeze

In the original post, there's 3 pics of a head. Are the first two "before" and the last "after" of the same head? The valve recess is much deeper and larger.  :scratch:
I like your FXR's (and build info.) a LOT.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

turboprop

Quote from: Breeze on January 09, 2016, 06:34:09 AM
In the original post, there's 3 pics of a head. Are the first two "before" and the last "after" of the same head? The valve recess is much deeper and larger.  :scratch:
I like your FXR's (and build info.) a LOT.

Thanks for the kind words.

The heads still aren't finished. The pics are various stages of their development. Yesterday they were sent to Polydyn for various treatments. When that is done, there will be another mock up and then the final decking of the heads.

These heads started out as NIB S&S Super Stock castings with their 4 ⅛" bolt pattern. Intake is 2.150", exhaust is 1.680" (I think).

TXChop

ALways love to see your projects Ed! :up:

rageglide

I was thinkin earlier... Ed, since you mentioned one of the oil tanks was for Paul... I guess that means he's got a plan up his sleeve too...   :pop:

turboprop

Quote from: rageglide on January 09, 2016, 10:32:23 AM
I was thinkin earlier... Ed, since you mentioned one of the oil tanks was for Paul... I guess that means he's got a plan up his sleeve too...   :pop:

I cannot confirm or deny anything.

rageglide

:hyst:   Sure you can't.... 

HighLiner

That black FXR is right up my alley!

Bsmith153

Nice looking build. They look so pretty going in but its amazing how fast they loose that shiney stuff. My new motor was so pretty on the stand, a month in the bike and it looks like its 2 years old. Lol
I dont race because I think im the fastest
I race because its Fun!