March 28, 2024, 07:14:46 AM

News:

1952 Pan frame swap

Started by BBQBIKER, January 11, 2016, 03:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBQBIKER

January 11, 2016, 03:41:26 AM Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:30:48 AM by BBQBIKER
Well I picked up this Pan last year, 52 motor in a ? Swingarm frame. Yeah, 52 is supposed to be rigid frame but it's a PAN that runs with all HD parts otherwise. Wide glide with 16" wheel & banana caliper, juice brake in rear. Prev owner had for 34 years. It came with an extra 21" mini spool rim and another 21" rim, 2 seats, a front fender and a set of 16" apes (has 14's)

Maybe I'll find a rigid frame for it or just ride it and leave it alone and get another rigid project.

This was the day I loaded it in my van Mothers Day 2015

After cleaning the Linkert and tank, and a tuneup, it's a one kick bike. I immediately start racking up miles

I put on a new front tire and added a sissybar. Still putting on more miles

Bringing the 21" to the shop, wanna try it out.

New 21" Avon Speedmaster, just a bit skinnier than the wheelbarrow tire. Rides much smoother and turns better.

On the road in Maine. Almost 3000mi in my first 4 months of ownership

Pleated seat thanks Craigslist guy in RI

Threw on the front fender. Don't like it.

Uh oh...it's now September and there is trouble in Pan Paradise. Was out for an all day ride and was rollin down the hwy doin 75 on my way to see my mechanic I call Motor Jesus

Uh oh........losin power on this long uphill grade.........
Uh oh........lost a lot of power and now I'm riding a single cylinder bike......crap! What the hell........I'm just gonna ride it out till it dies....no mechanical noises just running on 1 cylinder how bad could it be??

I put my chin on the tank to streamline myself hahaha and I manage a respectable 39mph. Little cloud of smoke behind me and got some curious looks from the cars blowin by me at 70 but I was determined not to walk. Only like 8 miles to go hahahha

I pulled up Motor Jesus's driveway and he was there shaking his head. "That don't sound good" I left it running and hopped off. I was amazed that it idled at all. There was some oil around the front cylinder but not too much else to see. I shut it down and pulled the front plug, it was dripping with oil. Put a thumb over the plug hole and kicked it over....no compression. She's all done. Was gonna do a top end over the winter but winter came early I guess.

Thats a big hole

TRW pistons from the last rebuild back in the 80's

Rods don't spin crank too smoothly

The motor's going to get a top and bottom rebuild. Cylinders are pristine @.020 over and the rockers are perfect so some $$ saved there.

I was at Motor Jesus's shop checking progress and lo and behold there is a Santee Big Twin replica straight leg frame sitting there.

Motor Jesus knew I had this on my mind so the timing is perfect. A deal was struck and when the motors done it's going in the rigid frame, along with all other parts off the swingarm frame that will be compatible. Just gotta get some tins.

So that's my 52 project at the moment. I look forward to it's ressurection this Spring
BBQBIKER sends

Hossamania

Very nice bike. I like the 21" better than the 16". You'll like the fender in the rain. Great running commentary on the progress. Bummer about the motor, but should run sweet when done.
Are you planning on a pogo seat with the rigid frame?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

BBQBIKER

Quote from: Hossamania on January 12, 2016, 09:23:12 AM
Very nice bike. I like the 21" better than the 16". You'll like the fender in the rain. Great running commentary on the progress. Bummer about the motor, but should run sweet when done.
Are you planning on a pogo seat with the rigid frame?

I like the 21" too. Threw the fender on after riding in the rain. Was taking direct stream of water  from tire into my face hahahha was fun riding with my head hanging off to the side

Going to do seat on the frame, a King/Queen style and big sissybar. I just like that look. I'll keep the progress coming. Thanks for watching
BBQBIKER sends

BBQBIKER

January 15, 2016, 11:37:47 AM #3 Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 12:08:56 PM by FSG
Heads and barrels ready for assembly. Wiseco's on the way and a NOS Sifton "Silencer" cam ready to go.

BBQBIKER sends

BBQBIKER

February 01, 2016, 04:22:55 PM #4 Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 04:51:52 PM by FSG
Got a very nice complete drum front end and an oil tank. More progress.

BBQBIKER sends

Deye76

Look forward to your build. Going to be a nice one.  :up:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

BBQBIKER

April 05, 2016, 04:32:27 PM #6 Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 08:29:54 AM by BBQBIKER
For those following along, just got the frame freshened up and it looks like new.

Picked up a Santee straight leg rigid big twin replica frame a while ago and just had it freshend up. Looks like new! I'm on the hunt for a 52 orig frame but have this as a backup or another build or as a trading piece.

BBQBIKER sends

BBQBIKER

Cases are cleaned up. Motor Jesus says they are 9 out of 10 on the scale of junk to pristine

BBQBIKER sends

BBQBIKER

Got a 21" Star Hub wheel complete with drum.

BBQBIKER sends

JamLazyAss

I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

HogMike

Looking good!  :smiled:

Can't wait to see the final ride.

Since it's raining here, it's a good time for me to go through my barn and find the box of old pics of my older bikes.
You made me get the old one's on the road again, thanks for that!

:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

BBQBIKER

Quote from: HOGMIKE on April 07, 2016, 09:40:06 AM
Looking good!  :smiled:

Can't wait to see the final ride.

Since it's raining here, it's a good time for me to go through my barn and find the box of old pics of my older bikes.
You made me get the old one's on the road again, thanks for that!

Happy to have inspired you. Now dig out those pics and get scannin!
BBQBIKER sends

BBQBIKER

April 07, 2016, 09:59:11 AM #12 Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 10:01:51 AM by BBQBIKER
Got cam cover de-chromed. Pistons are ready to go too. Cylinders cleaned up at 0.30 over.

BBQBIKER sends

HogMike

HOGMIKE
SoCal

Brrrap

82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

biker3r

Im enjoying following your progress :up: :up: keep the pics coming.

Deye76

Nice looking pistons. What brand?

BBQBIKER

BBQBIKER sends

CraigArizona85248

Dang!  I'm just catching up here.  Cool thread!
They've changed the shape of the Wiseco dome just a bit since the last set of pistons I bought (back in 2012).  Those pistons will go forever.  I put about 105K miles on a set of 0.050"+ Wiseco pistons in my panhead between 2004 and 2012.

-Craig

BBQBIKER

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on April 15, 2016, 08:00:42 AM
Dang!  I'm just catching up here.  Cool thread!
They've changed the shape of the Wiseco dome just a bit since the last set of pistons I bought (back in 2012).  Those pistons will go forever.  I put about 105K miles on a set of 0.050"+ Wiseco pistons in my panhead between 2004 and 2012.

-Craig

105K ?? WOW! Thats's encouraging for the longevity of Wiseco. This motor was freshened up back in the 80's with TRW pistons and that is what I burned a hole through. I had no idea the mileage but the prev owner rode it a bunch in the last 30yrs I know that. Flywheels and rods are good, all else new for the rebuild. My 1st Pan and 1st top and bottom rebuild can't wait to get it back on the road .
BBQBIKER sends

BBQBIKER

April 22, 2016, 07:32:58 PM #20 Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 04:27:05 AM by BBQBIKER
Picked up the oil tank today from painters. Had it matched to the frame. I'm not a big chrome guy.

The cases are coated with Glyptol and mounting surfaces machined flat. Off for
Lower end installation

Got the new Firestone 21" mounted and rebuilt the star hub
BBQBIKER sends

BBQBIKER

Cases getting line bored today

BBQBIKER sends

harley_cruiser

I've been following this thread, very cool.

BBQBIKER

Quote from: Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers on May 21, 2016, 01:08:23 PM
I've been following this thread, very cool.

Like watching grass grow but it will be a perfect rebuild
BBQBIKER sends

HogMike

Take your time. It's looking good so far! Nice to see picture progress, something I never thought to do in the past!
HOGMIKE
SoCal

BBQBIKER

So I'm back at this again....

Motor's ready for assembly, lower end's all rebuilt heads are done. I shitcanned that Santee frame and have now decided to purchase a complete Vtwin 1949 HydraGlide roller. Drop in my motor and trans and be done with it.

This is what I'm thinking

I ordered it with " restoration finish" which is black and parkerizing hardware. Black 16" wheels too. Comes with everything minus drivetrain. I can modify to my liking as it goes together. It may smell a little like paddy water but I'll be RIDING

I bought a lift. Yeah it's the Harbor Freight one and I had a fucking coupon so WTF it was $329 out the door.

Fits in my Van

I will attempt to put this all together myself over the coming fall/winter. Should be a total fiasco as I can barely change a spark plug. But I'll be able to say I fucked up everything MYSELF!

Cleaned up cylinders

Line boring

0.30 over Wiseco forged Pistons

Andrews J cam gonna reuse it

Matching cases

Matching cases
BBQBIKER sends

BBQBIKER

MSRP is $4913.68 for part # 55-2541, straight outta the new Vtwin Bobber catalog. 1949 Pan chassis black/parkerized with hand shift. Just add drivetrain.

I also ordered black inner/outer primary and chain, and a Vulcan Engineering auto advance dist. I have one on my shovel and like it.
BBQBIKER sends

BBQBIKER

The chassis has arrived. Yep.....there's a 1949 HydraGlide roller in that there box......the frame is packed vertically......I hope hahaha

BBQBIKER sends

BBQBIKER

BBQBIKER sends

Deye76

:up: Cool. Will enjoy your progress.

dablaze

Very much looking forward to this thread...always wondered about the fitment on those V-twin chassis...

I was reading this and eyeing my '52 frame...but it is already promised to my son. The replica ones are gorgeous though.

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

Deye76

BTW that deep Maroon color in the pic you posted is beautiful. My dad had a 49' Ford that color, turned a lot of heads.

BBQBIKER

Quote from: dablaze on October 10, 2016, 10:26:55 PM
Very much looking forward to this thread...always wondered about the fitment on those V-twin chassis...

I was reading this and eyeing my '52 frame...but it is already promised to my son. The replica ones are gorgeous though.

Craig

I'll have detailed pics of everything as i
progress. Thanks for watching!
BBQBIKER sends

BBQBIKER

Quote from: Deye76 on October 11, 2016, 04:51:53 AM
BTW that deep Maroon color in the pic you posted is beautiful. My dad had a 49' Ford that color, turned a lot of heads.

I'm undecided on color but that red is nice. My swingarm roller has deep
red tins that I call "Candy Apple Blood" was a blend done a long time ago so I may duplicate it.
BBQBIKER sends

BBQBIKER

Got my Habbah Freight lift assembled ($329 with coupon!) and putting it to use taking the transmission out of my old roller.

BBQBIKER sends

Deye76

JamLazyAss

I'd like to see a picture of your 52 frame.
Don't ask me why  :wink:

dablaze

Second Shift Cycle

BBQBIKER

Quote from: dablaze on October 12, 2016, 09:55:38 AM
Mine or BBQ's?

Craig

Uh oh....does that mean my paddy water frame is all twisted like pretzel and nothing's gonna line up???
BBQBIKER sends

JamLazyAss

dablaze

From what I have always heard, the vtwin frames are quite good to work with, but there is always a chance of them getting tweaked in shipping. I would always have someone with a frame jig give it a going over first, but I assume many don't.

For comparisons sake, here is my '52 frame. It has some minor issues, someone changed the toolbox mount as well as the front tank mount, but otherwise it's pretty good. The first shot is just me being an ass...

Any detail shots you want, let me know.

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

FSG

QuoteThe first shot is just me being an ass...

so it's not just me   :hyst:

BBQBIKER

Quote from: dablaze on October 17, 2016, 10:22:03 PM
From what I have always heard, the vtwin frames are quite good to work with, but there is always a chance of them getting tweaked in shipping. I would always have someone with a frame jig give it a going over first, but I assume many don't.

For comparisons sake, here is my '52 frame. It has some minor issues, someone changed the toolbox mount as well as the front tank mount, but otherwise it's pretty good. The first shot is just me being an ass...

Any detail shots you want, let me know.

Craig

Wow nice stash thanks for the pics. I''all take a pic of
My paddy frame when I can
BBQBIKER sends

moose

I have a stock 50 frame bare if you need any pictures
Moose aka Glenn-

dablaze

Hey Moose, long time no talk...my '50 is my project for this winter...been waiting too long.

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

BBQBIKER

Just got a rebuilt M-74B

The one I was using prior to motor rebuild worked fine but is a little crusty so I'll  rebuild it and have as a spare. Want everything on this to be new repop or rebuilt.

On the hunt for a generator now.....

BBQBIKER sends

moose

yeah craig mine has been sitting too long this winter is the time to do it.  My old house did not have the room or heat in the garage.  My new one has heat and a 33x44 three bay garage so no excuses not
Moose aka Glenn-

BBQBIKER

Alright I took some pics of the frame..

BBQBIKER sends

dablaze

Looks great, nice and clean, lol. I have not looked into the '52 that much, but I believe it should be the horseshoe toolbox holder on the '52, which is not a difficult switch to make. It's something I would do first if it were me.

Carb looks great too, I wish any of mine looked that good!

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

BBQBIKER

Quote from: dablaze on October 19, 2016, 03:42:31 PM
Looks great, nice and clean, lol. I have not looked into the '52 that much, but I believe it should be the horseshoe toolbox holder on the '52, which is not a difficult switch to make. It's something I would do first if it were me.

Carb looks great too, I wish any of mine looked that good!

Craig

Yeah I'm not changing anything on it I have my "period incorrect"  stickers ready for deployment
BBQBIKER sends

BBQBIKER

For exhaust I want to use the Paughco 735B independent dual pipe system. I dig the OEM look of the 2:1, but sounds too polite for me.

BBQBIKER sends

HogMike

Quote from: BBQBIKER on October 21, 2016, 05:37:36 AM
For exhaust I want to use the Paughco 735B independent dual pipe system. I dig the OEM look of the 2:1, but sounds too polite for me.

If that's too quiet for you, you can always get the "short police style muffler"
I put that one on my '65 and modified the baffle a bit to get it to breathe better.
Louder than stock, but looks OEM
JMHO :missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HogMike

You might take a look at 65240-41A which is the stock length
Or 65240-58 which is the "short" version.
They also had a "quiet" version later on 65236-58
I have the fish tale style also with my duals that I used to run, but prefer the single style now.

HOGMIKE
SoCal

BBQBIKER

Quote from: HOGMIKE on October 21, 2016, 11:56:40 AM
You might take a look at 65240-41A which is the stock length
Or 65240-58 which is the "short" version.
They also had a "quiet" version later on 65236-58
I have the fish tale style also with my duals that I used to run, but prefer the single style now.

Great info thanks for sharing......decisions decisions....
BBQBIKER sends

Hossamania

Easy decision. Drag pipes. Best looking. Best sounding.
I know, I know,...
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

BBQBIKER

Quote from: Hossamania on October 21, 2016, 04:19:09 PM
Easy decision. Drag pipes. Best looking. Best sounding.
I know, I know,...

I love the sound of dreams.....had them on the previous incarnation...

BBQBIKER sends

BBQBIKER

Yeah the 65240-58 will look great perfect length. Pipes that stick out past the wheel look retarded in my not so humble un-PC opinion. Thanks for the recommendation

BBQBIKER sends

Brrrap

Looks quite familiar
[attach=0]
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

BBQBIKER

BBQBIKER sends

HogMike

Lets see if I can get this pic of my '56 to post with the "short" muffler on it. :nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

dablaze

Quote. Pipes that stick out past the wheel look retarded in my not so humble un-PC opinion.

Couldn't agree with you more! And on that toolbox mount, I think it was a common upgrade to switch to the later style.

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

HogMike

Quote from: dablaze on October 23, 2016, 09:19:09 PM
Quote. Pipes that stick out past the wheel look retarded in my not so humble un-PC opinion.

Couldn't agree with you more! And on that toolbox mount, I think it was a common upgrade to switch to the later style.

Craig

The mount changed late 54 or 55 same tool box, just different brackets
HOGMIKE
SoCal

BBQBIKER

Pulling the trans out of my swingarm roller that previously held the 52' motor. Gonna get it cleaned up and down to Motor Jesus for mock up in the Vtwin frame.

I have plans for this old roller cuz I do like it. It's got a wide glide with a 21 and a disc/banana caliper setup, a 16" star hub rear with a juice drum, the 3.5 gal tanks are nice too. The forward controls and 14" apes fit me perfectly and I'd still be riding it if I didn't roast the motor.

Like a lot of us I've always had an interest in owning a Knuckle motor, so if I ever get my hands on one, then I'll pull the 69' Shovel motor outta my 39' frame chopper, put the Knuckle motor in THAT, and put the Shovel motor in the swingarm bike. Perfect!

I'll have a Knuckle, Pan, Shovel, EVO and life will be complete.....but what about a Big Twin Flathead????? Hahahha I have a disease............
BBQBIKER sends

Wicked

Nice progress!!      ...and if ya gotta have a disease - that's a fine one to have!!  :bike:

Snowyone

My contribution to getting the juices flowing is hearing my fresh rebuilt motor on the test stand at Highway Choppers in Glenndale, Az.  They redid the bottom end after the previous shop did a 1/2 a$$ed job.  Had the heads and roller rockers done a Baisleys years ago and I did the install.  Dave said I even had the distributer on the right tooth.  Took my tranny to them and they repaired some bogus welds and rebushed the gears and replaced 3rd gear.  Really happy with the work they're doing and you would be hard pressed to see where the weld repairs happened. On my way to pick up the pieces tomorrow.  If you want to hear the Pan run it's on their web site under the name John.

Ozbob

where ya at with this one, how did the VT stuff stack up

BBQBIKER

Quote from: Ozbob on March 30, 2017, 07:15:44 PM
where ya at with this one, how did the VT stuff stack up

Not much going on with this been focused on the shovel and that's all done so now it's time for the Panhead but I will update as things move along thanks for your interest
BBQBIKER sends

dablaze

Just checking if there was any progress on this project...would like to know how it is going!

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

Brrrap