May 12, 2024, 01:39:23 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Worth fixing?

Started by Laramie27, December 18, 2015, 09:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

76shuvlinoff

The only things factory on my 76 are the rear fender, oil tank, battery tray, and frame.    Enjoy it.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Snuff™

Quote from: JW113 on December 21, 2015, 02:13:22 PM

Since this bike is electric start, SU should work just fine, if it's tuned correctly.

-JW

That bike may have an electric start inner primary, I don't see a starter or gear.  Let enough room under that oil tank for one.
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

Laramie27

Quote from: Snuff[emoji769] on December 23, 2015, 02:40:05 AM
Quote from: JW113 on December 21, 2015, 02:13:22 PM

Since this bike is electric start, SU should work just fine, if it's tuned correctly.

-JW

That bike may have an electric start inner primary, I don't see a starter or gear.  Let enough room under that oil tank for one.
Correct

JW113

Kick only?

OK, that settles it. Start cruising ebay for a Keihin CV!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

jerite

I disagree with everyone i think you should sell it to me... :SM:

Jer
Less is more....let's keep it simple!

hbkeith

Quote from: JW113 on December 23, 2015, 04:37:43 PM
Kick only?

OK, that settles it. Start cruising ebay for a Keihin CV!

-JW
:up: 

jm7480

Get it running and RIDE It

JW113

:agree:

(but the first part of getting it running is getting it STARTED!)
:SM:

Keihin CV is your kicking leg's friend...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

dirtymike

put a Keihin CV40 on last year with the press on manifold, got rid of the rubber mount. got some assistance from Julio on the how to. I haven't had no hiccups so far. Jetted it out. Think there is a thread on here somewhere. Dirty

greasy

Sell a kid to raise the money it will be worth it!   lol

catmcaw

If you put a CV on a Shovel it will start better, run better and get more MPG. I will agree that it might not have the cool factor that other carbs have but it is what it is.

76shuvlinoff

It hides pretty well behind a big ol 7" cover.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hossamania

Once you get it running, you will NOT run into another one like it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Laramie27

Sorry fellas haven't had time to mess with the bike. Wife had surgery day after Christmas. Should be back on it in a week or two.

jerseyhardtail

Oil or replace the rear chain, put a handful of bbs in gas tank, check for rust drain carb and enjoy
No longer in NJ retired on the Mountain in PA

jerite

Again I say just sell it to me..lol...Jer
Less is more....let's keep it simple!

Laramie27

ModelABob

A '66 FLH was my first Harley also. I got it all dressed out with 23K miles when I got out of the Army in '74. Paid $1,000 for her! Put many, many miles on her and many, many dollars into her. Bob'd her out with an 8" over wide glide and lot'sa chrome. Even got a compliment for her from Willie G. once at a Daytona Beach Bike Week. Ah'..those were the days! :wink: The scooter even had the original DC Linkert on her. Anybody here ever run one? Not a bad carb except for the mid range flat spot.

Good luck Laramie27, you have one great American machine and what I call a real Harley-Davidson.
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper