Vtwin splash gaurd with Hawg Wired mount kit

Started by planemech, January 24, 2016, 01:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

planemech

Hey fellas, Im looking at an upgrade for my 2010 Ultra. The Hawg Wired mount kit has an anodized aluminum bezel compared everyone else plastic one. Everyone raves about how good the Vtwin cover is, can I combine them for the best of both worlds or is the Vtwin mount kit the way to go? I was looking at using Biketronics radio adapter since it retains the AVC function along with their 4180 amp and 7.1 pro speakers in the front and rear pods with standard 7.1s. Im currently on the fence about the pods, I talked to Bill and he said that on the highway the rears couldn't be heard that well anyway and said I could use alpine speakers in the factory pods for about $80 and be ok. I do like the clean look of the pods though. Opinions from experience are appreciated!

UltraNutZ

the only thing I remember about HW mounting kits was the tray on the back side was aluminum.  Most of the other kits use plastic blocks that adhere to the sides of the aftermarket radio which thickens the area between the vertical fairing brackets on the radios so that they will mount directly to the vertical fairing brackets.  Which mounting method works better, both of them do.  Same difference IMO.

As for VTwin, the 2 things I like about that kit is the gloss black faceplate that goes around the radio and then the splash guard.  The gloss black gives is a more appealing finish especially against a painted inner fairing.

the BT kit you're referring to above will certainly put a smile on your face.  The pods are a matter of preference really.  The 7.1" pods are nice but be aware they are slightly larger and protrude a bit more into the passenger pillion.  You will also need to drill and cut holes to reinstall your rear controls currently mounted on your stock pods unless you do like I did and pull that 15lb wiring harness out altogether.  The rears can be heard perfectly fine at HWY speeds provided you supply decent power to them regardless of whether in the pods or saddlebag lids.  I have the fairing 7.1" std, lower 6.5" std, rear pod 7.1" std, lid 6x9" std.  kicks ass!

Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

planemech

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 25, 2016, 05:00:22 AM
the only thing I remember about HW mounting kits was the tray on the back side was aluminum.  Most of the other kits use plastic blocks that adhere to the sides of the aftermarket radio which thickens the area between the vertical fairing brackets on the radios so that they will mount directly to the vertical fairing brackets.  Which mounting method works better, both of them do.  Same difference IMO.

As for VTwin, the 2 things I like about that kit is the gloss black faceplate that goes around the radio and then the splash guard.  The gloss black gives is a more appealing finish especially against a painted inner fairing.

the BT kit you're referring to above will certainly put a smile on your face.  The pods are a matter of preference really.  The 7.1" pods are nice but be aware they are slightly larger and protrude a bit more into the passenger pillion.  You will also need to drill and cut holes to reinstall your rear controls currently mounted on your stock pods unless you do like I did and pull that 15lb wiring harness out altogether.  The rears can be heard perfectly fine at HWY speeds provided you supply decent power to them regardless of whether in the pods or saddlebag lids.  I have the fairing 7.1" std, lower 6.5" std, rear pod 7.1" std, lid 6x9" std.  kicks ass!

Thanks for your input! I'm on the fence about upgrading to the pro 7.1s in the fairing. Do they sound that much better than the std 7.1s?

UltraNutZ

If I already owned the 7.1 and was thinking to upgrade, me personally wouldn't and I haven't.  Not much of a difference at 80MPH.

Now if I was buying a kit to install, then yeah I'd spend the extra few bucks for the pros just because.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons