May 04, 2024, 04:04:18 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Flushing dead dried up gas out of tanks.?

Started by hogpipes1, June 11, 2017, 05:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogpipes1

Been getting my arm twisted for a couple yrs, on getting a 91 evo fired up  that  was  rode ,shut off 7 yrs ago & has  sitting  in garage. Gas is evap- and a green  dry coating  is on the bottom.  OE  tanks  so it has that gray tank sealer that is still good.. Told him try  and reg shake  the hell out of it .
that don't do it  low  pressure hot soapy power wash, last choice radiator shop. Or is there a bottle of tank cleaned out there ??? or what Else.?   S&S  carb   also with the  gas, frozen frt master Cly, & leaky rear bottom jug.   will be another story.

Also let it be known there is a 20 yr  fed  sentence for  leaving a Harley sit  with abuse!!!.  Thanks .

smoserx1

Try some gunk hydro seal.  Let it soak 24-48 hrs.

K4FXD

Could try some carb cleaner. The kind designed for soaking carb bodies.
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

hogpipes1

Quote from: hogpipes1 on June 11, 2017, 05:31:46 PM
Been getting my arm twisted for a couple yrs, on getting a 91 evo fired up  that  was  rode ,shut off 7 yrs ago & has  sitting  in garage. Gas is evap- and a green  dry coating  is on the bottom.  OE  tanks  so it has that gray tank sealer that is still good.. Told him try  and reg shake  the hell out of it .
that don't do it  low  pressure hot soapy power wash, last choice radiator shop. Or is there a bottle of tank cleaned out there ??? or what Else.?   S&S  carb   also with the  gas, frozen frt master Cly, & leaky rear bottom jug.   will be another story.

Also let it be known there is a 20 yr  fed  sentence for  leaving a Harley sit  with abuse!!!.  Thanks .

I'll tell him to try really  hot water w/ dawn soap 1 st time around . Don't want anything that's going to take the tank sealer  off with it .

ViseGrips

just a thought >>>>> ..maybe dump in a bottle of Seafoam and slosh it around. :nix:

Buffalo

Thats where I would go on this I believe. Shut the petcock off add 16ozs Seafoam with 1 quart of fresh gas. Let it sit for 24 hrs. I've never used anything that takes out that green junk better. fwiw Buffalo

mrmike

Start easy and work your way up to the hard stuff if necessary, no sense in making a bigger problem using something harsh that screws up the liner.

I like the hot soapy water idea as a start maybe use Simple Green instead of Dawn.

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

hogpipes1

Quote from: Buffalo on June 12, 2017, 03:43:30 AM
Thats where I would go on this I believe. Shut the petcock off add 16ozs Seafoam with 1 quart of fresh gas. Let it sit for 24 hrs. I've never used anything that takes out that green junk better. fwiw Buffalo

Good, sense you did it and it worked  that's the way it will go.  Keep it simple and easy. Sense it's made to put in the tank i'am sure the mfg. tested  that it will not take the gray  tank sealer with it. Thanks. 

PoorUB

When I got my R1 it had sat for years and evaporated a whole tank of fuel. It had about 1/16" of varnish over the whole inside of the tank. I tried everything, even soaked it for a week with gas a Seafoam. Finally just gave up and put it together and over a few months of use and fresh gas running through it the tank looks pretty good.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

spo123

Try a two week soak, of the full tank with your choice of plain old WHITE VINEGAR or that fancy Red Wine Vinegar........This should make a nice difference and you can even save and strain the old vinegar for another tank or whatever needs the scum eaten.
Your results may vary.
Good luck and let us all know haw it turns out.

hogpipes1

I will past on all this good info- to the son of  bike owner. he wants to put the bike on the road. The ol man just wants to drink beer,and i  am the man in the middle .   The tanks need to be clean before i deal with it at all.