April 25, 2024, 08:36:29 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

TWIN POWER Lithium-Ion battery

Started by Tattoo, February 17, 2016, 12:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tattoo

February 17, 2016, 12:27:12 PM Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 01:44:15 PM by Tattoo
My Bikers Choice rep want's Me to try this battery for the season. Does anybody have any feedback on these battery's or safety issues? 

"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

Buffalo

I'm interested in your testing results as I have a 01 Dyna with an S&S T124 that likes to eat std 19A HD batteries. V Twin makes a 400cca replacement in the Lithium lineup. I do know that Lithium batteries do not like cold, and can respond sluggishly to it. It has always been my understanding that all lithium type batteries require their own special type of charger to prevent over/ under charging.
Please keep us informed of your thoughts and results.  Buffalo

Tattoo

February 17, 2016, 01:26:33 PM #2 Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 01:32:16 PM by Tattoo
I have the charger ordered and will be here tomorrow, $39.00 retail. My question is why would it need a special charger but can use the OEM charging system when the bike is running and charging?

pwmorris

Quote from: Tattoo on February 17, 2016, 12:27:12 PM
My Bikers Choice rep want's Me to try this battery for the season. Does anybody have any feedback on these battery's or safety issues?

Been running lithiums for years-
Is that the bagger battery with 625 CCA?
What are the dimensions?
If as advertised, it is stronger than the strongest Shorai (which at 500 cca's didn't live up to CCA actual results for me, and was a poor power base for big twins. Also cheaper than the Antigravity for 625 CCA.
Need some details as to how it cranks, how much it drops when cranking, and how it holds a charge.
Looks like the case is very solid.
These guys could be a major player in the market if all shakes out...

Nowhereman

Quote from: Buffalo on February 17, 2016, 01:20:19 PM
I'm interested in your testing results as I have a 01 Dyna with an S&S T124 that likes to eat std 19A HD batteries. V Twin makes a 400cca replacement in the Lithium lineup. I do know that Lithium batteries do not like cold, and can respond sluggishly to it. It has always been my understanding that all lithium type batteries require their own special type of charger to prevent over/ under charging.
Please keep us informed of your thoughts and results.  Buffalo
They do need to be warm to work well.
This would pose a strange start up procedure for bikes in cold environments.
Possibly turning the bike over without spark just to heat the battery, then engage the battery... just sayin.
- From Nowhere in particular

Tattoo

February 17, 2016, 01:40:47 PM #5 Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 01:52:09 PM by Tattoo
supposedly all you do to warm them up is turn the ignition on a couple times.  :nix:

voltage 12.8 CCA 625

Stock HD battery.

Appowner

Lithiums do indeed require a special charger.  So make very sure you do not accidentally put the wrong one on it.  Bad things other than just a ruined battery can happen if you do.

Smaller versions of them have been in use for a very long time.  Watch and hearing aid batteries to name two.  But bigger ones, capable of handling higher current draws are somewhat new to the scene.  15 years or less.   

Early high capacity batteries were prone to fires and small explosions.  At least one airliner had such an emergency.  But, they've come a long way in recent years and it now seems all the serious bugs have been worked out of them.  Chances are you will be impressed by its performance.  Just be aware that on the off chance it does fail in some fashion, there's a probability of fire or even a small explosion.  So I'd watch where I park the bike.

All that said, I plan on trying one for my next battery in my FXSTC.

pwmorris

Quote from: Tattoo on February 17, 2016, 01:26:33 PM
I have the charger ordered and will be here tomorrow, $39.00 retail. My question is why would it need a special charger but can use the OEM charging system when the bike is running and charging?
They don't like trickle chargers like traditional batteries, and must stay in a specific range to work properly (12-14.5 or so), and if they drop below 11 or so, they may die, and not come back, depending on the manufacturer. Mine charges a little higher with the lithium charger to 13.3 or .4 where my lead batteries stop at 12.8-13.0. Lithium charger shuts off when battery is peaked.
OEM charging system just keeps them running while you ride in the optimum range so no issues there. Charger makes sure it is topped off at correct voltage and ready to go on next ride.
Some lithiums can take traditional chargers, provided it has a shut off at peak, has at least 6V when juicing, and has a strong peak (13.2 at least)

As far as cold starts, turn on lights, and or a couple cold quick hits of the starter is plenty-then crank it over...just needs to get a little warm, no big deal...

Tattoo

"Just be aware that on the off chance it does fail in some fashion, there's a probability of fire or even a small explosion.  So I'd watch where I park the bike."

that being said I think I will let somebody else try it in there bike.

HighLiner

Hopefully you have better luck with that than the Braille I put in the race car!

pwmorris

Quote from: Tattoo on February 17, 2016, 01:40:47 PM
supposedly all you do to warm them up is turn the ignition on a couple times.  :nix:

voltage 12.8 CCA 625

Stock HD battery.

Can you verify the dimensions-

Dimensions: Length: 6.63" X Width: 5.19" X Height: 6.88" Are accurate?
These are stock FL 30L size I believe but not sure...

pwmorris

Quote from: HighLiner on February 17, 2016, 01:54:01 PM
Hopefully you have better luck with that than the Braille I put in the race car!
Braille is an incredible battery company and thousands of race cars world wide use their products.
What happened to your Braille, and did they stand by their product?

Tattoo

length 6 1/4" height just under 7" width 4 3/4" 

hrdtail78

Lead acid or AGM also have the potential to blow up.

If you decide to try it.  Let us know.
Semper Fi

pwmorris

Quote from: Tattoo on February 17, 2016, 02:24:11 PM
length 6 1/4" height just under 7" width 4 3/4"
Thanks-
That battery wont fit my bike till I relocate my oil tank.
I previously tested another manufacturers lithium for them and would be happy to test and report results if your rep is interested.
Just need the Dyna/FXR size with 400 cca  for fitament. Should work fine for my 126" with ez's.

HighLiner

Quote from: pwmorris on February 17, 2016, 02:19:32 PM
Quote from: HighLiner on February 17, 2016, 01:54:01 PM
Braille is an incredible battery company and thousands of race cars world wide use their products.
What happened to your Braille, and did they stand by their product?

It wouldn't hold a charge with barely a year of service.  It was the biggest, badest, lightweight, carbon fiber one they made.  No warranty support.  I even talked to them at PRI this year and all they had to say was "we've recently been taken over".

tmwmoose

I had a Shorai thru Tucker Rocky lasted one year and a early Antigravity lasted a month maybe on my 02 FLHT. Expensive ordeal even at dealer cost . The neat thing I liked  when using them was the cool storage area for extra tools and parts in the battery tray since they were so small.  Western Power Sports is selling some of these type batteries one by Battery Tender (Deltran)and two others under there name WPS and Hardrive. Unfortunately I think I'm done with them though

92flhtcu

the Twin Power are exact case size, with flush, solid posts to boot
I have been using one of these since July, I've used both my 20 yr old Deltran Tender(750ma) and the Bikemaster Li-Ion maintainer. Voltage is always the same with either maintainer
There is a few different videos of James going thru the cold temp routine as well as some other things on YouTube, just search "twin power Lithium Ion Battery"
I've been selling quite a few of these the last few months, time will tell, but I think it is gonna be a winner
Need a bigger garage

Jonny Cash

Quote from: Tattoo on February 17, 2016, 01:40:47 PM

voltage 12.8 CCA 625

Stock HD battery.

That was my experience with Shorai, kind of weird getting used to.   Bike would struggle to turn over a couple times, let it sit a couple minutes, then it would spin like crazy.  It only acted like that if it sat for a couple weeks or it was really cold.  I used a regular charger on it, there is a bunch of info on advrider forum about the chargers.  Mine worked ok with a sears model battery tender.
Accurate information is expensive, rare and difficult to find!

ThumperDeuce

The snowmobile guys turn their lights on for a little while to get the battery warmed up before starting.  This will be season two for my Anti-Gravity.  No problems so far.
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

boooby1744

Buffalo

The lithium batteries the people had a problems with where Lithium Polymer type, not Lithium Ion.
Initally there was problems with people using the wrong chargers with lithium batteries, these did and can cause issues with fires and possible explosions. Litium polyimers once shorted out, can produce huge spikes in amps and can melt themselves down. They are not usually hard cased either, making them more susceptible to damage.  Lithium Ion batteries are used in many appliances now because they are considered far safer and are usually hard cased. This laptop I'm on right now use LI, as does my new cellphone.
Chargers designed for Lithium batteries typically have provisions for balancing the cells, I'd say its important to use a proper charger.
The Lithium Polymers I use to fly remote control aircraft can deliver large, sustained amps for their size and weight, making them ideal for that purpose. They require constant monitoring of cells, and must be balanced. They suffer badly if pulled down below 3.5volts per cell.
Lithium Ion batteries are far safer because of the cell structure and packaging, they do not do well in cold climates, all Lithium batteries like to be at 90 degrees internally to deliver their full capability. LI batteries can be pulled to 3.0v per cell without damage, have a longer life than LP's and can charged at much higher rates to shorten recovery times. If your charging system is producing 14.2 to 14.7 volts, and stays there fairly steady, the Li should last, but I'd still highly recommend a charger specifically designed to charge it for maintenance. Buffalo

cbumdumb

Do they still have the same storage issues their predecessors had that they needed to be stored at a storage vs full charge . I have a very un predictable work schedule

harley_cruiser

I've been tempted to try one but florida heat, softail with the battery inside the oil tank,,,,,,,,,,humm.

motolocopat

MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950