March 28, 2024, 10:01:45 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

I think i want a vrod

Started by Just Nick, March 05, 2016, 11:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Nick

I just got done tuning a 2012 night rod with the fitzgerald cut throat pipe on it and that thing is nice. I was on the dyno thinking about getting one a what I could do to the motor. I think I have the bug but I am 6'5" tall and look stupid on them, but damn they are nice. I built two of them a few years ago (I don't recall what cams and heads they used) and back when I was still in the dealerships I opened my mouth about what a pos they were and the service manager heard me so I at that point became the vrod tech for the next couple years and they are great bikes that are easy to work on imho. Now I need to figure out how to convince my wife that I need another bike in the stable.
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

rbabos

Quote from: Just Nick on March 05, 2016, 11:17:00 AM
I just got done tuning a 2012 night rod with the fitzgerald cut throat pipe on it and that thing is nice. I was on the dyno thinking about getting one a what I could do to the motor. I think I have the bug but I am 6'5" tall and look stupid on them, but damn they are nice. I built two of them a few years ago (I don't recall what cams and heads they used) and back when I was still in the dealerships I opened my mouth about what a pos they were and the service manager heard me so I at that point became the vrod tech for the next couple years and they are great bikes that are easy to work on imho. Now I need to figure out how to convince my wife that I need another bike in the stable.
Understand , coming off a big twin myself. Can't help with the wife however. :hyst:
Ron

rigidthumper

Charge people a nickle for looking at your avatar- bike will be paid for in no time!
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Just Nick

Robin you need my paypal looks like your into my for a few hundred already. I will be  :scoot: In no time now great idea. And don't think I don't see you up there Ron I'm counting your looks

Mdanehart

Yes, same here. I just sold my 14 SG, with all kinds of of go fast goodies and eye candie. At 63 now I always wanted a Vrod! Looking at 03 now with fat front and rear fenders, the owner did a good job with the cosmetics. The only draw back is the small fuel tank.

Still considering a Night Rod Special, if I can find one at a good price.

Nowhereman

Have you guys seen the new Ducati yet?
I'd grab that over a V rod.
Nuthin you have to do to it but slap your butt into the seat.
- From Nowhere in particular

rbabos

Quote from: Nowhereman on March 06, 2016, 07:08:05 AM
Have you guys seen the new Ducati yet?
I'd grab that over a V rod.
Nuthin you have to do to it but slap your butt into the seat.
Yes. Not quite the cruiser comfort of how the v rod is layed out but yes as a machine awesome. For insurance purposes the vrod is considered a cruiser so same cost as my softail was.
Ron

rbabos

Quote from: Mdanehart on March 06, 2016, 06:26:11 AM
Yes, same here. I just sold my 14 SG, with all kinds of of go fast goodies and eye candie. At 63 now I always wanted a Vrod! Looking at 03 now with fat front and rear fenders, the owner did a good job with the cosmetics. The only draw back is the small fuel tank.

Still considering a Night Rod Special, if I can find one at a good price.
While there is an aftermarket 5 gal tank available I'd be looking for 08+ bikes. They come with a 5 gallon standard and the slipper clutch. That clutch is night and day over the early version. Most have been converted by now as it is a retrofit back to the first year. Possibly that 03 has been done already.
If you do get this bike and go with the aftermarket tank beware of belt to tank clearance. Even the new ones alignment being off or a loose belt out of spec can cause a belt rub. Good belt tension and alignment there's no issue with them.
Ron

Mdanehart

Thanks Ron,
                   The fuel tank is a concern, it also appears to be a major installation procedure and around 400-500 for the tank and kit. The other concern is locating the batwing or fairing for my likeness.

rbabos

March 06, 2016, 02:02:49 PM #9 Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM by rbabos
Quote from: Mdanehart on March 06, 2016, 01:22:22 PM
Thanks Ron,
                   The fuel tank is a concern, it also appears to be a major installation procedure and around 400-500 for the tank and kit. The other concern is locating the batwing or fairing for my likeness.
There are road rod kits out there. One such example of many. I chose the lean and mean and got a ff helmet after not happy on windshield performance for the two I tried. Hard to get shields to work well with these things as upcoming air causes the buffeting. Lowers a must of some form.  While this is a cool looking bike, I doubt the windshield does much being so far away from the rider. As for the cost of bags and such, hell, I could buy new clothes each day on a month long ride and it would still be cheaper. :hyst:
Ron

Mdanehart

Ghost Riders has a Street Glide fairing option and Bullitt version. I will give that chap a phone call. BTW, I like your Road Rod, real nice.

rbabos

Quote from: Mdanehart on March 06, 2016, 03:46:40 PM
Ghost Riders has a Street Glide fairing option and Bullitt version. I will give that chap a phone call. BTW, I like your Road Rod, real nice.
Not my bike. Just one I found quickly on the net.
Ron

Just Nick

I finally went out and road the night rod I tuned it made 124hp and 82tq if I remember right and that was just with the Fitzgerald cut throat pipe and I tell you one thing that thing is fast I have rode a lot of rod's but this is the first tuned one and "Potty mouth" what a difference that thing moves and is smooth as hell just way to loud for me now a days. I have been hinting to the wife that a vrod might show up after I buy us a house later this year. Now I just need to figure out what I want to do to one once I get it. I might want to go with a blower or turbo since I don't have a bike with one yet.

Ron what are the vrod guys doing to these bikes that is not naturally aspirated and what kind of power are they running. 

rbabos

Quote from: Just Nick on March 08, 2016, 09:10:31 AM
I finally went out and road the night rod I tuned it made 124hp and 82tq if I remember right and that was just with the Fitzgerald cut throat pipe and I tell you one thing that thing is fast I have rode a lot of rod's but this is the first tuned one and "Potty mouth" what a difference that thing moves and is smooth as hell just way to loud for me now a days. I have been hinting to the wife that a vrod might show up after I buy us a house later this year. Now I just need to figure out what I want to do to one once I get it. I might want to go with a blower or turbo since I don't have a bike with one yet.

Ron what are the vrod guys doing to these bikes that is not naturally aspirated and what kind of power are they running.
First off , good numbers you have there and that will bring a smile for sure.
Most go with the trask turbo running a small 6psi boost. Most come in around 165 hp. Obviously 8psi will give you 175-180 range. Engine life and reliability remains in the 165 range. Past that a crank girdle , pinning the mains as well as going with ARP studs should be considered as well as valve springs at higher boosts. TTS has a supercharger also but between the two the turbo is the direction I'd take. All bugs pretty much worked out.  Engine runs stock until boost is called upon then hang on. Piston change might be required for full time SC use. Haven't researched that one too much.
Got one guy running 23 psi with a turbo and will break the tire loose at 60 mph. He ain't right in the head. :hyst: He blows it up a lot and likes to push the limits on everything.
Yup, down side of the Revolution is it has a loud exhaust tone. Test rode one with a V&H indy pipe and with the exhaust exiting below my right ear, it drove me nuts cruising at 4k rpms. I run Fatshots with 12 disc per can. Just the right noise for me.
Ron

Mdanehart

So running 6 pounds of boost is ok for street use and longevity?

rbabos

Quote from: Mdanehart on March 08, 2016, 12:53:53 PM
So running 6 pounds of boost is ok for street use and longevity?
Yes. There seems to be no issues running 6 psi with the turbo. Keep in mind this is not full time boost but only when the throttle hand dictates it. Cruising it's still basically stock.
Ron

hrdtail78

I'd like to see a Vrod w/ FXDP fairings and bags.
Semper Fi

speed limit

I impulse purchased a V rod back in 03 being 6'5" I just couldn't get comfortable on it so I sold it after a few months but I have always loved them, the wife is riding a 1200 XL now but a v rod will be her next bike
If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.

rbabos

Quote from: speed limit on April 11, 2016, 07:50:32 AM
I impulse purchased a V rod back in 03 being 6'5" I just couldn't get comfortable on it so I sold it after a few months but I have always loved them, the wife is riding a 1200 XL now but a v rod will be her next bike
Not a good idea. Meals won't get cooked and laundry will pile up because she will always be out riding it.
Ron

speed limit

Quote from: rbabos on April 11, 2016, 08:27:54 AM
Not a good idea. Meals won't get cooked and laundry will pile up because she will always be out riding it.
Ron
I didn't think she would outgrow the sportster so fast and didn't know used Vrods could be had for 5k or she would be on one now one thing about hind sight its always 20/20
If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.

rbabos

Quote from: speed limit on April 12, 2016, 07:51:57 AM
Quote from: rbabos on April 11, 2016, 08:27:54 AM
Ron
I didn't think she would outgrow the sportster so fast and didn't know used Vrods could be had for 5k or she would be on one now one thing about hind sight its always 20/20
I'd make sure to look for one from 08 and up. 5 gal tank and slipper clutch both nice to have. I'd be leary of any 5k v rod unless you know it's history. Around here a 5k v rod would be a basket case with parts missing.
Ron

CVOThunder

While it would totally change the bike characteristics, how about a custom frame? Long and lean for a chopper look or something for with mid controls for bombin' the corners. I like the engine but not the way the bike fits me.
Photons by the bag. Gravitons not  shipped outside the US.

rbabos

Quote from: CVOThunder on April 27, 2016, 05:33:51 AM
While it would totally change the bike characteristics, how about a custom frame? Long and lean for a chopper look or something for with mid controls for bombin' the corners. I like the engine but not the way the bike fits me.
That would be Sacrilege. :hyst:
Ron

JW113

Oh I don't know Ron. Some might consider it an improvement.
:SM:

[attach=0]

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Ohio HD

I too looked at vrod's, in about 2005. But I have too much leg length for them. 36" to 37" Jean's inseam. Didn't see any way to get comfortable on one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nowhereman

Quote from: JW113 on April 27, 2016, 08:06:30 PM

[attach=0]

-JW
Man, forwards on that?
Someone must have Gorilla length arms and a bad back. :hyst:

rbabos

Quote from: Nowhereman on April 28, 2016, 05:21:28 AM
Quote from: JW113 on April 27, 2016, 08:06:30 PM

[attach=0]

-JW
Man, forwards on that?
Someone must have Gorilla length arms and a bad back. :hyst:
Or be 20 years old. That would be painful for me.
Ron

rbabos

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 28, 2016, 03:11:13 AM
I too looked at vrod's, in about 2005. But I have too much leg length for them. 36" to 37" Jean's inseam. Didn't see any way to get comfortable on one.
Yes, body type can make or break the deal. For me, 29" inseam and 5'8" with the reduced reach pegs on the 2012+ VRSCDX model the fit is pretty good. The Muscle for me is not as good of a fit as it retained the more forward bars and pegs. Don't think I could handle the previous year bikes due to the clam shell body position needed to ride them. I can handle more miles on this one then the FXSTC I had previously. Probably because the ride is better and next to no vibes.
Ron

Ohio HD

Quote from: rbabos on April 28, 2016, 06:41:56 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on April 28, 2016, 03:11:13 AM
Yes, body type can make or break the deal. For me, 29" inseam and 5'8" with the reduced reach pegs on the 2012+ VRSCDX model the fit is pretty good. The Muscle for me is not as good of a fit as it retained the more forward bars and pegs. Don't think I could handle the previous year bikes due to the clam shell body position needed to ride them. I can handle more miles on this one then the FXSTC I had previously. Probably because the ride is better and next to no vibes.
Ron

I rode my '87 FXST, (no it didn't vibrate    :hyst:     ) to Arizona and back twice. Came back to Ohio on a touring bike the third time...    :chop:

Hossamania

I liked the one Matt Hoch did, had some pretty nice lines.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Nowhereman

Quote from: Hossamania on April 29, 2016, 03:29:11 PM

Yeah this one put him on the map big time.

Hossamania

Quote from: Nowhereman on April 29, 2016, 05:55:52 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on April 29, 2016, 03:29:11 PM

Yeah this one put him on the map big time.

That's the one.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

76shuvlinoff

A guy I work with has an 06 SE he bought off the floor in 07. Yeah it's a sharp fast bike. It's all factory and I bet he's coming up on 3000 miles now, no that's not typo.  He's 6'3" 300 lbs and even with the 200? rear tire it looks like he just overwhelms it.  I think he'd sell it but I get the impression he was overtaken by all the stripper glitter, waaay overpaid, and would rather let it sit and rot than sell it for what it's worth. 
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

rbabos

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on May 27, 2016, 08:48:21 AM
A guy I work with has an 06 SE he bought off the floor in 07. Yeah it's a sharp fast bike. It's all factory and I bet he's coming up on 3000 miles now, no that's not typo.  He's 6'3" 300 lbs and even with the 200? rear tire it looks like he just overwhelms it.  I think he'd sell it but I get the impression he was overtaken by all the stripper glitter, waaay overpaid, and would rather let it sit and rot than sell it for what it's worth.
That bike is or will be more valuable then you think. Last year of the vrod CVO. I agree back then the prices were stupid high for them which is against him but some day it will be a collectable to someone.. Any used one's I've seen , which are very rare, the sellers want top dollar, either individuals or dealers.
Ron

76shuvlinoff

I do wish him luck and maybe it'll work out fine.  Even though it's none of my business it bugs the hell out of me that it sits.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

rbabos

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on May 27, 2016, 09:26:38 AM
I do wish him luck and maybe it'll work out fine.  Even though it's none of my business it bugs the hell out of me that it sits.
Agree. Why even bother to buy a bike if all it sees is 3k milage in 8-9 years.
Ron

Mdanehart

I also have 36 inseam, I purchased a set of 4 inch extended forward controls from the 1130cc forum for my 07 AW, problem solved.