May 08, 2024, 02:45:54 PM

News:

Sportster as a Touring Bike?

Started by rkrcpa, March 19, 2016, 11:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

July 18, 2016, 05:21:57 PM #25 Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 05:43:10 PM by fbn ent
This is my wife and her bike....she rides right along with me and my RG. Only issue is fuel range. She gets 150 miles before we need to look for a station. Those are quick miles too.

It would be rough for me but she is pretty light and loves it. BTW, she usually doesn't pack quite this heavy  :crook:.

[attach=0]

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Panzer

Both are good looking.  :up:
Good pix.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

chopper

I've only ridden Iron head Sporty's, but all I ever did was put on a decent seat, and raise the gearing. Bump a tooth or two on the countershaft, and they smooth right out at highway speeds. I have to believe the new ones are even better.
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

Carl 1969

Rode this '94 to Sturgis from Fayetteville, NC & came back the long way through WY, CO, NM, TX, OK, etc. 8 "serious" travel days over 3 weeks & 5500 miles. Not the best tool for the job, but it's what I had & got me there & back with no issues whatsoever.

Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben
Sergeant First Class, US Army, Retired

tommy g

Didn't see him but an older gent from Texas on his 02  Sporty stopped in at the local dealer for fork seals. He was on his way home from a ride to Alaska.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

FSG

QuoteNot the best tool for the job, but it's what I had & got me there & back with no issues whatsoever.

:up:   and that folks is what it's all about

biker3r

triumph900

My last Sportster was a 1200C. Sold it a couple of years back, now seriously thinking of a new 1200C. Just demo'ed a 2017, very nice.

My old 1200C would run 80-85 all day, and was fairly comfortable with a small windscreen.

Bladesmith

As an over 70 "Geezer" my Ultra LTD "Geezer Glide" is just too big. I'm thinking about going back to a Sportster , my first Harley was an Ironhead...I think I can set one up for touring, nowadays I rarely go more then 300 miles a day, OEM hard bags, windshield , larger tank would make it work....Now if I can add floorboards it would be perfect
If my thought dreams could be seen they'd  put my head in a guillotine.. Dylan

PC_Hater

Quote from: Bladesmith on February 04, 2017, 10:39:24 AM
As an over 70 "Geezer" my Ultra LTD "Geezer Glide" is just too big. I'm thinking about going back to a Sportster , my first Harley was an Ironhead...I think I can set one up for touring, nowadays I rarely go more then 300 miles a day, OEM hard bags, windshield , larger tank would make it work....Now if I can add floorboards it would be perfect

if Harley can't provide floorboards to fit a Sportster the aftermarket most definitely can!
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Hossamania

I have to agree with you, Bladesmith, the 900 pound Limiteds can get a bit unwieldy.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

JW113

Quote from: WVDevil on July 17, 2016, 07:19:51 AM
Mine travels pretty well, I also have a big sissy bar bag so can carry a fair bunch of stuff. Only problem is the wind beats me up pretty badly at highway speed. I need a real windshield if I'm ever going more than a few hundred miles.

I can't ride with a windshield of any kind, the buffeting at highway speed rattles my brain inside the skull. I much prefer the laminar flow of the wind. I know what you mean about long trips and wind protection though. I bungee a sleeping bag on the bars, it knocks the wind off the chest and does not create buffeting. Might give that a try and see what you think.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

d2wing

I have a 2006 1200L I set up for touring and I works well. First it has a good touring seat, I changed the rear shocks to 12.5 inch Progressives, Changed out the upper fork tubes for 2 inch longer ones and put in longer dampers. It rides and handles great. I put on Viking rigid leather saddlebags. For wind protection I have a Memphis fats eye height windshield and to get rid of buffeting I added Memphis shades lower fork deflectors.
On an earlier Sporty I added floor boards but On this one I have forward controls and do not miss the floorboards. You can add tune kits if you want.
I am 69 years old and can put on 300 miles a day easily. I also have a luggage rack and a large tail bag for it and it has the big tank. I will see if I canpost pics.