May 09, 2024, 03:53:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Used ECM

Started by lost_harley, April 14, 2016, 09:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lost_harley

If I buy an ECM and TSSM off of the exact same bike, (07 FLHXI). Will I need to have it reprogrammed? And how long can these be off of a bike before they will loose there link to each other??

Thanks

Karl H.

April 14, 2016, 09:47:38 AM #1 Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 09:52:55 AM by Karl H.
Based on the manual you need the DigiTec or similar service computer for 2007 (and up) Harleys.

Ah! Combined with a married TSSM and fobs it might work. The programmed VIN is wrong tho.

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

lost_harley

Thanks Karl, but I only want to get it running lock it up to my PV, and then I could take it in to have the VIN changed.

Coyote

Quote from: lost_harley on April 14, 2016, 09:17:32 AM
If I buy an ECM and TSSM off of the exact same bike, (07 FLHXI). Will I need to have it reprogrammed? And how long can these be off of a bike before they will loose there link to each other??

Thanks

There is no time limit where it will loose the marriage.  AFAIK, you should not have any issue as long as you have the assigned FOB for the HFSM.

lost_harley

thanks Coyote, that's what I needed to hear

HD/Wrench

Quote from: lost_harley on April 14, 2016, 09:17:32 AM

Thanks

No it will work but you need the fobs for that bike as well , or buy a TSM and no fobs needed..   You still need to unlock the bike so to speak with the fob .    VIN wise no issue , as you are reprogramming it anyways , now if that bike is odd it may tell you that the cal is wrong , you never stated what you are putting it on .. The ECM is a empty box to start with and a base cal loaded to use for that stock set up, based on vin.. SO lets say you have a 7 bike put it on a 8 it may give you issues as one is cable and one is FBW , But I have been able to get the cal to work some will throw a code others will not ..

1FSTRK

Quote from: lost_harley on April 14, 2016, 10:25:31 AM
Thanks Karl, but I only want to get it running lock it up to my PV, and then I could take it in to have the VIN changed.

Should he get the vin changed before he locks to the PV, doesn't PV use the vin number for the licence?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Karl H.

Good point! The VIN stored in the ECM can not be changed with the PV.
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

Coyote

They lock to the ESN of the unit, otherwise you could just program any ECM to a VIN and move the tuners around. Whether they even look at the VIN, IDK.

lost_harley

sorry I didn't back to this until now, busy weekend.... anyway, I get the fob thing but wondering, is there a procedure to program the fobs to the tssm? Last case senerio, I could get a TSM I guess and program that

Coyote

Quote from: lost_harley on April 18, 2016, 08:53:46 AM
sorry I didn't back to this until now, busy weekend.... anyway, I get the fob thing but wondering, is there a procedure to program the fobs to the tssm? Last case senerio, I could get a TSM I guess and program that

You can now assign a FOB to a locked HFSM with Centurion. IIRC, there is also a trick that works using DigTech if your dealer knows about it.