May 01, 2024, 08:28:39 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Only front speakers on 2016 road glide

Started by Dawgrgc1, April 11, 2016, 05:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dawgrgc1

Is it possible to get good clear sound with just 2 speakers and an amp. I have had saddlebag speakers before and don't won't that again. The other option is king tour pack and I prefer the chopped. Wad thinking a bt 2180 with 6.5 focals , the only concern there is the focals arn't water proof and on the road glide the speakers are more exposed . Thanks in advance

UltraNutZ

why not go with the BT 7.1" or the 7.1" pro series?

waterproof and lifetime warranty

and yes to answer your question.  The BT 2180 paired with a set of the 7.1 or 7.1Pro are an excellent combination
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Dawgrgc1

Yes , I am considering their speakers as well due to their quality and warranty . On my last bike I had those in the fairing and focal in the lids . To my ears the Focals had a sharper sound that seamed to cut through the wind better as theirs seamed a little warmer , but that's just my opinion

UltraNutZ

yes sir that's called being bright.  FOCAL speakers are much brighter than HAT speakers are with the tweeters which makes them sound this way cruising at 80MPH.  Most people that have in the past used things like Hogtunes tweeter pods love focal speakers.  Not my cup-o-tea though.

Dawgrgc1

I respect your opinion more than you know , will I get the same clear volume with the hat speakers at highway speeds and am I messing up trying to do this with just two speakers I have not ordered a tour pack yet

UltraNutZ

I don't think you're messing up at all, there are plenty of people running around with 2 speaker setups that are quite happy with their investments.  The trick is making sure your expectations align with your pocket book and your goals. If you're looking to boom down the highway at 70MPH, rattling the brain cells in the car next to you then 2 speakers aren't going to cut it for you and you obviously know that.  If you simply want a good quality sound and understand the fact that most of your bass is going to wash at speeds, then a good solid 2 channel amp and good quality speakers will get you there no doubt.  Also keep this in mind;  because your bike is not a wet-head, remember there's room in the lowers to drop a good set of 6.5" as well.  2 pair of 4 ohm speakers in the front will easily be driven effectively by that 2180 amp.

Alien

I have a 2016 road glide. I have been emailing with Bill at Biketronics seeking information. I am probably going to go with the 2180 and the BT 6.5s in the fairing. Bill said the 7.1s will NOT fit a road glide (what I wanted). If that is not enough I will add a second set of speakers in the lower fairings I have installed. The lowers and speakers will be able to be removed if I want.

UltraNutZ

I talked to Bill today briefly.

Many months ago I did 1 RG with 7.1" and it was not easy task I do remember that.  Pods were removed, I fabricated brackets out of steel plate from Home Depot, etc. many hours went into that install.  At that time Bill and I were talking about it and I understood BT was going to fabricate a plate to accommodate the 7.1" but after talking to Bill today, turns out they weren't very comfortable with the amount of "meat" that was holding that speaker/plate in place so he put the project to the side and never got back to it.

Now I wish I would have taken pics of that install albeit not a pretty one.

red rocker

Quote from: Dawgrgc1 on April 11, 2016, 05:44:33 AM
Is it possible to get good clear sound with just 2 speakers and an amp. I have had saddlebag speakers before and don't won't that again. The other option is king tour pack and I prefer the chopped. Wad thinking a bt 2180 with 6.5 focals , the only concern there is the focals arn't water proof and on the road glide the speakers are more exposed . Thanks in advance
Just curious why you wouldn't want saddlebag speakers again?
I put a Rokker 500 watt amp. J & L C5's in front and Hogtunes saddlebag speakers in my SG and wouldn't even consider going without them now! It was a night and day difference.

Dawgrgc1

Yes your correct the sound is much better, but the hassle just isn't worth it to me anymore. I lost valuable room in my saddle bags. I had to always worry about rain and if not covered water would get in bags.

digga25

Will you mount the amp in the fairing or in a bag. If it goes in the fairing where do you mount it,on top of the radio.

Dawgrgc1

I have a 2016 road glide and they make a bracket for the fairing

Alien

I just recently installed the Biketronics 2180 amp and 6.5 speakers, line levelers, mounting bracket, speaker grills, and adapters Road glide kit. It is a big improvement over stock and the sound quality is a big improvement over stock. If I find I need more I "may" ad the lower fairing speakers in the lowers I have already installed. The 2180 amp can handle the 2 additional speakers and they will be removable in case I want to remove the lowers but I don't see that happening often?

So IMHO you can have good clear sound with just 2 speakers and an amp

lilchief

Quote from: Alien on May 20, 2016, 05:42:58 AM
I just recently installed the Biketronics 2180 amp and 6.5 speakers, line levelers, mounting bracket, speaker grills, and adapters Road glide kit. It is a big improvement over stock and the sound quality is a big improvement over stock. If I find I need more I "may" ad the lower fairing speakers in the lowers I have already installed. The 2180 amp can handle the 2 additional speakers and they will be removable in case I want to remove the lowers but I don't see that happening often?

So IMHO you can have good clear sound with just 2 speakers and an amp

I'm about to do the same thing, as soon as I receive it. I've got 3pr of polk audio dxi speakers here that I had on my old bike, and a couple pair of kickers. I may or may not add a pair to the lowers. I've already got the pods so I'm good there. I've got no need to add rear speakers as the ol never rides with me anyway, and I've found from past experience that the only time I could hear the rear speakers was if I had my head turned to the left or right. I just feel that it's a waste of speakers if I never have a passenger.

speed limit

I have a 15 RGS. with BT a 2180 amp,  last season I ran the BT 6.5s in the fairing with head unit flash it had rich full sound at any speed with any helmet, this season I added lowers and another set of bt 6.5s and the sound isn't as warm and rich as it was with just two speakers in fairing it sounds more solid state now loud as heck but kind of harsh, I think the lack of air space in the lower pods are the problem
If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.

UltraNutZ

speed limit

UltraNutZ

speed limit.. couple of things.

yes sir the polyfil is a tried and true method that has worked for many a decades.  too much though is just as bad as not enough.  a thin layer laid inside the pod is all you need.

I truly dont think that's your issue though. 

need to make absolutely sure you've got your wiring correct.

need to wire + on both right speakers to right + on the amp
- on both right speakers to right - on amp

and the same for left.

if you have even 1 wire crossed between the 4 speakers, it throws the entire system out of phase.

speed limit

Thanks Nutz I will give the poly fill a try and double check polarity

speed limit

Poly-Dil seems to have done the trick got the richness back, now I see a post about a system robot, any knowledge about that?

UltraNutZ

yes sir.. for some that have experienced a degradation in sound from these head units, the reset of the head unit should be performed.  in some cases it has made a huge difference, in some it hasn't made any difference.

backup your waypoints before you reset if you have any set in the GPS.

speed limit

Quote from: UltraNutZ on June 16, 2016, 12:30:03 PM
yes sir.. for some that have experienced a degradation in sound from these head units, the reset of the head unit should be performed.  in some cases it has made a huge difference, in some it hasn't made any difference.

backup your waypoints before you reset if you have any set in the GPS.
Will I loose flash?

UltraNutZ

no sir.. you want to be running 1.19.0

speed limit

I`m still running 1.18 something so do I need a software update plus a robot or it the same thing?

UltraNutZ

you do not want to go above 1.19.0.  the newer flashes are screwing things up once again.

19.0 fixes some avc problems among other things.

03NhHarley

I just switched my street glide from 4 speakers to 2. I am running a JL 400/4 amp bridged to a at of Hertz HSK165xls and It sounds so much better than my when I had speakers in the bags. Granted the Hertz are a much better speaker than the JL I had before.

UltraNutZ

03NhHarley.  how's the heat with the JL amp being bridged sir?  I haven't personally tested it but have a guy here locally that's wanting to do the same thing with his setup.  Get rid of the 6x9 lids, stick with 2 good speakers up front bridged on that 400/4 amp.  Not sure if we'll use Hertz or BT at this point but either will be a drastic improvement over what he's got now.