kappa's and diamond micro4v2 or 2 pbr300x2

Started by RWood, May 10, 2016, 12:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RWood

I am wanting to upgrade my amp and speakers on my 2015 ultra limited. I am new to this forum and have been reading lots of info on amp and speaker choice. I just want to be sure I am going like what I purchase.
I am thinking about the infinity kappa 62.11 speakers with the diamond micro4v2 amp.
Will this be a good combination in my ultra?
Will I loose fm reception with this amp?
Where is the best place to buy this amp and speakers?

My other thought is same speakers with 2 pbr300x2.
Which would be the best combo?

Thank you for your help.

05fatboy95

Do it once and do it right, Bike tronics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NHBagger

On 14 up models, there's lots more to it than just amp and speakers.  Many threads on this.  Ultranutz is one of the guys on here that can help.

RWood

May 12, 2016, 01:00:22 AM #3 Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 01:20:28 AM by RWood
Bike tronics is over budget for me. I have thought about maybe there speakers in the faring and the kappas in the tour pack but that is even stretching my budget.

I know I will have to build harnesses for a clean install and I have no problem doing that. I'm just not sure about the amp and speaker choice. I even looked at the ss pn4.1000 but I want to keep fm reception. Does that amp hurt fm in the Rushmore bikes? I have read that the Rushmore bikes are not elected as much.

I even have the ability to flash the radio just not sure if I should use the bt line leveler or flash the radio.

UltraNutZ

Quote from: RWood on May 10, 2016, 12:24:58 PM
I am wanting to upgrade my amp and speakers on my 2015 ultra limited. I am new to this forum and have been reading lots of info on amp and speaker choice. I just want to be sure I am going like what I purchase.
only you will be able to determine that
I am thinking about the infinity kappa 62.11 speakers with the diamond micro4v2 amp.
I like the speaker choice but can't say I know much about the amp as I've only installed one in about a 2 year period.  It performs well but that's about all I know about it since I've done no testing of it.
Will this be a good combination in my ultra?
you will need the BT355 line levelers to tame that horrible signal coming out of the stock head unit.
Will I loose fm reception with this amp?
it's a class D amp, so in all likelihood you'll lose some if not all FM reception.  I only know of 2 class D amps on the market that don't cause FM interference.
Where is the best place to buy this amp and speakers?
kappas, just about anywhere.  You need to be careful though with the amp because if you buy from a non-authorized dealer and have problems, you're screwed.  For example, the only authorized dealers around me (Houston) are 100+ miles away in Austin.  Most of the big-box stores like Best Buy, etc. won't carry the DA product line.
My other thought is same speakers with 2 pbr300x2.
this amp will NOT cause interference, is easy to install, very small footprint, and will drive those speakers very well.
Which would be the best combo?
again it all depends on your pocketbook and expectations but IMO you cannot go wrong with the kappa/pbr300x2 combo.  it's proven itself time and time again.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

UltraNutZ

something else I didn't pick up on initially.  2015 Ultra which means 4 speakers.  what are you planning to do with the rear speakers as for an amp?  are you going to leave them connected to the head unit or are you wanting to amp them as well?

RWood

I do want to amp the back speakers. I know I will have to build the harness for the rear speakers and amp install and has no problem doing that. I did look at the ss pn4.1000 just not sure about the fm. Would it be best to mount 2 pbr300x2 one for front and one for back?

I also noticed that some people are having problems with the kappas tearing in the fairing if  mounted outside the pods but they don't sound as good inside the pods. Any truth to that?

Do I still need the bt line levelers if I can flash the head unit?

UltraNutZ

Quote from: RWood on May 12, 2016, 09:27:22 AM
I do want to amp the back speakers. I know I will have to build the harness for the rear speakers and amp install and has no problem doing that. I did look at the ss pn4.1000 just not sure about the fm. Would it be best to mount 2 pbr300x2 one for front and one for back?
if you want no FM loss, then that would be my suggestion, yes sir.

I also noticed that some people are having problems with the kappas tearing in the fairing if  mounted outside the pods but they don't sound as good inside the pods. Any truth to that?
if they're mounting on the outside of the pods then I can certainly see the excursion of the speaker (movement of the cone in and out) hitting the inner fairing and eventually wearing a hole through the cone.  I've never had an issue mounting them on the inside of the pods.  You're talking about (in thiele parameters) about .2% decrease in volume of the pod by mounting them on the inside.  if you don't follow this procedure, you'll lose all resemblance of sound quality.  This guy did a great job with the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5K9MlrWlM4

Do I still need the bt line levelers if I can flash the head unit?
yes.  you need to normalize that DSP before it goes into the amp and this is what the BT devices do.

RWood

Thank you for your help! Can't wait to hear this system after I get it installed. I have a feeling after friends hear mine they will want to upgrade theirs. lol

RWood

One more question. Since I am mounting two amps do I need 2 power and ground wires from battery. Or can I use one set and a jumper. I noticed hog wired does the jumper just not sure if that's advisable.

UltraNutZ

me personally would never advise it unless you're running a single wire from battery to fairing that is large enough to carry the current load expected to be needed by the amp(s) then splitting it off in the fairing to go to each amp.  then if it's done, and again only the way I would do it for safety is

let's use for example each amp has a max current draw of 25a so

big wire from fairing to battery with a 50A fuse on it installed at the battery

then in the fairing split it off to two with each leg having it's own 25a fuse inside the fairing

this way each amp is protected individually, and then with the 50A your bike is protected.

your ground - you can run 1 wire just make sure it's a good quality piece of wire and go all the way to the battery or the grounding post where the battery attaches to the frame.

RWood

That confirmed what I thought. Thank you for your help!

RWood

I am reading some are using the BT speaker mounts in the rushmore fairing. Is that a good idea with the kappas? Or would I be better off mounting inside the speaker pods?

UltraNutZ

either way will work perfectly fine.  If you use the brackets, then wrap those speakers with a 1/2" thick or so layer of polyfil.