How much HP and TRQ does it take to have a 9 Sec. Bike?

Started by gabbyduffy, May 08, 2016, 01:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabbyduffy

There is a lot more to getting a 9 sec. slip then Peak power but for arguments sake what do you think is the very least that is needed to get their?
Duffy 216-633-8541 eastern time zone.

oldhippie

According to the Wallace racing calculator ya would need 159hp to get 800lbs down a 1/4 mile in 9.99 seconds... :potstir:

strokerjlk

depends on weight . how good of a clutch set up ya have, 60 ft ability,gearing, and on and on.
i know of a 130 hp 1250 sporty that runs 9's. and a 170 hp 117 bagger that runs 9's. neither got there,without a lot of testing.and tuning.

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

Templer

SixShooter14

'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

aswracing

Torque ain't part of the equation. It's already built-in to the horsepower number. Power is torque times rpm. Power made of high torque and low rpm is no stronger than power made of low torque and high rpm.

Smarty

Quote from: aswracing on May 08, 2016, 05:44:06 AM
Torque ain't part of the equation. It's already built-in to the horsepower number. Power is torque times rpm. Power made of high torque and low rpm is no stronger than power made of low torque and high rpm.

I find that a little contrasting as the motor with the lower torque and higher hp would have to catch the first bike on the big end. Now, could he do it on an 1/8 mile track or a 1/4 mile track. Heck, I used to heckle the young kids that daddy bought the new badass mustangs for with my 4 wheel drive, 4 door, long wheel base dodge diesel. Although I did have it chipped, I would race them red light to red light and kick there ass. It would piss them off too. Much longer than that and they would blow by me.
Suspended by Smarty
Carol Burks

1FSTRK

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Nowhereman

- From Nowhere in particular

harlycoop

Till the next ride
Coop

gabbyduffy

Quote from: 1FSTRK on May 08, 2016, 06:18:30 AM
:hyst:
Here we go again   
:wink:......... how big of a difference is their between being in the 9's verses the 10's?

gabbyduffy

Quote from: strokerjlk on May 08, 2016, 03:38:08 AM
depends on weight . how good of a clutch set up ya have, 60 ft ability,gearing, and on and on.
i know of a 130 hp 1250 sporty that runs 9's. and a 170 hp 117 bagger that runs 9's. neither got there,without a lot of testing.and tuning.

What kind of numbers were you putting down when you were at 103"? If I'm not mistaken you were in the 120's with horse power or there about?

aswracing

Quote from: harlycoop on May 08, 2016, 07:10:33 AM
TQ = acceleration, HP = speed.

Wrong. RPM = speed.

Power = torque times rpm. It's the combination of force and speed.

strokerjlk

Quote from: gabbyduffy on May 08, 2016, 07:23:50 AM

What kind of numbers were you putting down when you were at 103"? If I'm not mistaken you were in the 120's with horse power or there about?
I was making 225 hp at 7000 rpm  ,when I ran a 10.0. it can be done with less hp ,if ya got a good MTC 6 finger lockup clutch.
without the blower at 120 ish HP I ran a 11.5

aswracing

May 08, 2016, 07:41:49 AM #14 Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 07:46:41 AM by aswracing
Quote from: Smarty on May 08, 2016, 06:05:49 AM
I find that a little contrasting as the motor with the lower torque and higher hp would have to catch the first bike on the big end.

Take two identical vehicles going side by side, with both motors operating at their torque peak rpm. Doesn't matter what speed they're going, choose a gear and speed that puts them at the torque peak rpm.

On one vehicle, open the throttle wide open, thus producing max torque from the motor.

At the same moment, on the other one, downshift to put to the motor at it's power peak instead, and open the throttle wide open.

Watch what happens. It won't even be close. Even though the downshifted vehicle's motor is making less torque, it will run away and hide. Every single time.

I can explain it to you mathematically if you're interested. But I think that most people can envision the above and realize it's correct.

Admiral Akbar

Smarty

Quote from: gabbyduffy on May 08, 2016, 07:21:16 AM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on May 08, 2016, 06:18:30 AM
Here we go again   
:wink:......... how big of a difference is their between being in the 9's verses the 10's?

Oh about a 1' tall trophy  made out of plastic with a wood base.
Suspended by Smarty
Carol Burks

Smarty

Quote from: aswracing on May 08, 2016, 07:41:49 AM
Quote from: Smarty on May 08, 2016, 06:05:49 AM
I find that a little contrasting as the motor with the lower torque and higher hp would have to catch the first bike on the big end.

Take two identical vehicles going side by side, with both motors operating at their torque peak rpm. Doesn't matter what speed they're going, choose a gear and speed that puts them at the torque peak rpm.

On one vehicle, open the throttle wide open, thus producing max torque from the motor.

At the same moment, on the other one, downshift to put to the motor at it's power peak instead, and open the throttle wide open.

Watch what happens. It won't even be close. Even though the downshifted vehicle's motor is making less torque, it will run away and hide. Every single time.

I can explain it to you mathematically if you're interested. But I think that most people can envision the above and realize it's correct.
Where are they staging this type of racing now? I wasn't aware that was the way it was done now. :hyst:
Suspended by Smarty
Carol Burks

Ohio HD

aswracing

May 08, 2016, 08:16:53 AM #19 Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 08:19:26 AM by aswracing
Quote from: Smarty on May 08, 2016, 07:56:57 AM
Where are they staging this type of racing now? I wasn't aware that was the way it was done now. :hyst:

OK, well, I can explain it to you in a different way then.

Two bikes are lined up side by side at the tree.

One bike is a ricer. The rider has it wound up to 15,000rpm, where the motor makes 40lb-ft of torque. Total gear reduction through his primary, trans, and final drive is 30:1.

Next to him is an identical weight Harley, with the same traction. The rider has it wound up to 5000rpm, where it's motor makes 100lb-ft of torque. Total gear reduction through his primary, trans, and final drive is 10:1.

Both drop the clutch and whack the throttle wide open. What happens?

The ricer is making 40lb-ft of torque at 15,000 rpm and has 30:1 gear reduction. 15,000rpm divided by 30 means his rear wheel will be turning 500rpm, right? And 40lb-ft of torque times 30 means he has 1200lb-ft of torque at the rear wheel, right?

The Harley is making 100lb-ft of torque at 5000rpm and has 10:1 gear reduction. 5,000rpm divided by 10 means his rear wheel will be turning 500rpm, same as the ricer, right? And 100lb-ft of torque times 10 means he has 1000lb-ft of torque at the rear wheel, right?

So if both of these bikes have the same weight, and the same traction, and both rear wheels are turning the same rpm, and one has 1200lb-ft of torque at the rear wheel and the other has 1000lb-ft of torque at the rear wheel, which one will accelerate quicker?

Bottom line is that the torque that reaches the rear wheel is what accelerates the bike. That's engine torque times gear reduction. The more rpm the motor can make, the more gear reduction you can apply, and the more torque multiplication you get. That's how 40lb-ft can accelerate more quickly than 100lb-ft.

At the end of the day, rpm is every bit as valuable as torque, because the two are interchangeable. Gear something shorter, you trade rpm for torque. Gear something taller, you trade torque for rpm. So torque is no more or less valuable than rpm.

Notice how engine torque numbers did not tell you a thing about which could accelerate better. But the engine horsepower figures did ...

The ricer was making (15,000 x 40) / 5252 = 114hp

The Harley was making (5,000 x 100) / 5252 = 95hp

Admiral Akbar

Jonny Cash

weight!! And how efficiently you can get the bike down the track. My bike a low 11 second bike with me on it, a high 10 second bike with a 200 lb jockey.  I have been TnT this year working on getting my bike down the track efficiently, and have learned quite a bit.  A full vs almost empty gas tank will cost me a mph, but I have a better et cause I can launch harder, a full tank helps keep the front end closer to the track, resulting ina better 60'.

Accurate information is expensive, rare and difficult to find!

1FSTRK

Simply put Horsepower includes tq and time so you want the peak tq at the highest rpm possible to do the most work in the shortest time.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

PoorUB

Get the weight down 400 pounds and it gets easier. I have video of my Yamaha R1 running in the high 9's.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hossamania

Quote from: PoorUB on May 08, 2016, 10:14:09 AM
Get the weight down 400 pounds and it gets easier. I have video of my Yamaha R1 running in the high 9's.

So, what you're saying is, I need 612 horsepower to get in the 9's, based on my current not in high school anymore weight?.....
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Smarty

Quote from: Hossamania on May 08, 2016, 10:25:02 AM

So, what you're saying is, I need 612 horsepower to get in the 9's, based on my current not in high school anymore weight?.....

I think the average size for women's panties are a size 10 now Hoss. You still have a chance. lol
Suspended by Smarty
Carol Burks

gabbyduffy

Quote from: strokerjlk on May 08, 2016, 07:38:53 AM

I was making 225 hp at 7000 rpm  ,when I ran a 10.0. it can be done with less hp ,if ya got a good MTC 6 finger lockup clutch.
Curious why you went in the blower direction, why not a turbo? what is so special about the good MTC 6 finger lockup? The thought the Bandit was the hot set up, why not use the Bandit?

Hossamania

Quote from: Smarty on May 08, 2016, 10:28:23 AM

I think the average size for women's panties are a size 10 now Hoss. You still have a chance. lol

Hmm.... I'll have to see if they still fit....

gabbyduffy

May 08, 2016, 11:09:53 AM #28 Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 11:14:10 AM by gabbyduffy
deleted

PoorUB

In your case it would be the easy way out.... :potstir: :hyst:

I hear you need to get those panties in pink, other colors just don't make it.

Hossamania

Smarty

Suspended by Smarty
Carol Burks

Templer

Question?
How much HP and TRQ does it take to remove the cap/tab from a few beers or a whisky bottle??
AFTER a few you FEEL like a 9 second rider!!!!!

strokerjlk

Quote from: gabbyduffy on May 08, 2016, 10:35:45 AM
Quote from: strokerjlk on May 08, 2016, 07:38:53 AM

Curious why you went in the blower direction, why not a turbo? what is so special about the good MTC 6 finger lockup? The thought the Bandit was the hot set up, why not use the Bandit?
I like the fact that the pro charger runs cooler is all.
the MTC 6 finger is an option that you use in conjunction with the bandit clutch. you can bring the clutch in "in stages"
requires a barnett primary cover to house it. or you have to cut the stock one and top hat it. OR go belt drive. 
diff stand off's. Bandit can set it up for you. they offered to do my 6 speed as a proto type,for a six speed. I just haven't had the extra money to go for it.
if ya got a 5 sp ,everyone that is doing anything is running one. bandit has been doing them forever.

FWIW . I have found the Wallace calculator to be very very close when you have a good 60 ft,and everything is tuned/dialed in with no mistakes during the run.

strokerjlk

my sporty was 99 hp . we weighed 675 together. it ran a best of 11.0 @ 121 mph wallace says 11.0 at 122 mph.
that bike would 60 ft at 1.47-1.59 every pass. with a bar and slick on it it was a lot more effortless to have a perfect pass, than with a no bar street tire bike.

pwmorris

How much power do you need? Depends-

HP and TQ are only one of a dozen factors to run 9's with a daily driven street bike.
Smoked a 225 HP turbo bagger with my bike which has a bunch less HP. He launched, got out of shape and spun and spun. I left hard, hooked and left him.

Street bike with no bar on pump-need everything dialed in, from weight (huge), chassis, clutch, HP, rider, rear tire, swing arm, shifter, hitting shift points, strong 60' (1.50's or better), and on and on...

Full blown Race bike-much easier, and easier still running a slick and bar.
Apples and oranges...

PoorUB

jam65

I plugged my numbers in and I sure need to do some more practice. What is the 60 foot time that the Wallace calc. considers for a run, 1.60?

N-gin

I ran a 12  :embarrassed: burning through 1 and 2 raising the front tire letting off and steering away from the wall. On 120 HP. Went 112 mph.
My launch is terrible  :dgust: :dgust: :cry: but I only have 5 launches under my belt and no previous track experience.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

hattitude

Quote from: aswracing on May 08, 2016, 08:16:53 AM
Quote from: Smarty on May 08, 2016, 07:56:57 AM

OK, well, I can explain it to you in a different way then.

Two bikes are lined up side by side at the tree.

One bike is a ricer. The rider has it wound up to 15,000rpm, where the motor makes 40lb-ft of torque. Total gear reduction through his primary, trans, and final drive is 30:1.

Next to him is an identical weight Harley, with the same traction. The rider has it wound up to 5000rpm, where it's motor makes 100lb-ft of torque. Total gear reduction through his primary, trans, and final drive is 10:1.

Both drop the clutch and whack the throttle wide open. What happens?

The ricer is making 40lb-ft of torque at 15,000 rpm and has 30:1 gear reduction. 15,000rpm divided by 30 means his rear wheel will be turning 500rpm, right? And 40lb-ft of torque times 30 means he has 1200lb-ft of torque at the rear wheel, right?

The Harley is making 100lb-ft of torque at 5000rpm and has 10:1 gear reduction. 5,000rpm divided by 10 means his rear wheel will be turning 500rpm, same as the ricer, right? And 100lb-ft of torque times 10 means he has 1000lb-ft of torque at the rear wheel, right?

So if both of these bikes have the same weight, and the same traction, and both rear wheels are turning the same rpm, and one has 1200lb-ft of torque at the rear wheel and the other has 1000lb-ft of torque at the rear wheel, which one will accelerate quicker?

Bottom line is that the torque that reaches the rear wheel is what accelerates the bike. That's engine torque times gear reduction. The more rpm the motor can make, the more gear reduction you can apply, and the more torque multiplication you get. That's how 40lb-ft can accelerate more quickly than 100lb-ft.

At the end of the day, rpm is every bit as valuable as torque, because the two are interchangeable. Gear something shorter, you trade rpm for torque. Gear something taller, you trade torque for rpm. So torque is no more or less valuable than rpm.

Notice how engine torque numbers did not tell you a thing about which could accelerate better. But the engine horsepower figures did ...

The ricer was making (15,000 x 40) / 5252 = 114hp

The Harley was making (5,000 x 100) / 5252 = 95hp

Damn, thanks for taking the time to share that....

That is probably the best, easily understood, explanation of HP & TQ I've read. I actually think I get it now....   :up:

Don D

Title should read what does it cost to run 9 sec :wink: