May 08, 2024, 08:21:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

HK TSB for skipping while playing CD's

Started by kristian, June 13, 2016, 08:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kristian

I thought there was a tsb for the HK head unit to get a dealer flash for the problem of it skipping while in CD mode/mp3..etc??  I am unable to find it, my 06 ultra has an awful time with skipping and inability to play mp3 CD's, any input would be great and a tsb # i can take to the dealer for a reflash.  TIA
Kris

UltraNutZ

kristian I've searched through all TSBs I have access to and do not find anything pertaining to CD skipping issues.

the latest software for your radio can be downloaded and installed from here

http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/h-d/en_US/home/owners/infotainment/software-downloads.html

Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

kristian

Quote from: UltraNutZ on June 14, 2016, 07:55:21 AM
kristian I've searched through all TSBs I have access to and do not find anything pertaining to CD skipping issues.

the latest software for your radio can be downloaded and installed from here

http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/h-d/en_US/home/owners/infotainment/software-downloads.html

thanks UltraNutz, my memory getting bad but there was a issue with mp3's that were on CD were skipping or unstable and there was a flash put out by the moco?  i beleive it was actually here on htt that i saw a thread quite sometime ago about the sam or similar issue, damned if i can find it.  Thanks for the link, ill have a look around there. 
Kris

UltraNutZ

I believe this is what you're looking for.

kristian

as long as its within the warranty period!!   :down:   Thanks UN, thought it was a software upgrade, turns out its a fastener, will have a look next time i have the fairing off, wish the part #'s were listed?? 

I burned the update from the hd site for the newest software version today and followed the instructions for upgrade, headunit got stuck in verifying and now the cd wont eject :emoGroan:

tried everything to get the cd to eject, pulled the maxi, reset, tried again over and over to update.....nothing and no cd ejection.  at least before this fiasco i had a skipping cd player, now i have nothing but radio. :doh:
Kris

FSG

Quoteand no cd ejection

No little hole to poke a paperclip end into to get it to eject?

kristian

Quote from: FSG on June 14, 2016, 11:31:49 PM
Quoteand no cd ejection

No little hole to poke a paperclip end into to get it to eject?

FSG, first thing that came to my mind, little hole for a paperclip like other cd players, i looked all over the front of the unit and theres nothing.  I always believed that all cd players had a manual eject in case of such things :idunno:  at least im getting my sert issue resolved.  thanks for the suggestion/thought :up:
Kris

FSG

no little hole, bummer,  use a pair of long flat needle nose pliers then 

Breeze

June 15, 2016, 04:27:02 AM #8 Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 04:30:42 AM by Breeze
I found some references on the web. Not all helpful, but,........   "pull maxi fuse, wait 5 minutes. then try radio. If it doesn't work, replace radio".  :banghead:  "Go for a 20 minute ride with the CD door open. This is the procedure to remove a stuck software update CD."

"Removed Maxi-Fuse
Covered fender with blanket
Removed fairing
Unplugged and removed player (four allen screws on the sides)
Removed top of the player (2 Torx at the rear, 2 tiny Torx at the front)
Coaxed out top CD (grabbed with pliers as soon as it appeared in the door)
Reinstalled Maxi-Fuse
Plugged player back in
Hit EJECT and VOILA! the 2nd CD came out ".
"This works some times.
With power on take another CD stick it in a little it will trip the thes cd player into ejecting the stuck one out."

Maybe one will work, good luck.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

UltraNutZ

Quote from: kristian on June 14, 2016, 08:12:51 PM
as long as its within the warranty period!!   :down:   Thanks UN, thought it was a software upgrade, turns out its a fastener, will have a look next time i have the fairing off, wish the part #'s were listed?? 

I burned the update from the hd site for the newest software version today and followed the instructions for upgrade, headunit got stuck in verifying and now the cd wont eject :emoGroan:

tried everything to get the cd to eject, pulled the maxi, reset, tried again over and over to update.....nothing and no cd ejection.  at least before this fiasco i had a skipping cd player, now i have nothing but radio. :doh:

dust gets inside these units.  get you a can of compressed air (i wouldn't use compressor air unless it's filtered to remove water) and keep it in the upright position, stick the tube in the slot and spray working it back and forth while hitting the eject button.

kristian

Quote from: Breeze on June 15, 2016, 04:27:02 AM
I found some references on the web. Not all helpful, but,........   "pull maxi fuse, wait 5 minutes. then try radio. If it doesn't work, replace radio".  :banghead:  "Go for a 20 minute ride with the CD door open. This is the procedure to remove a stuck software update CD."

"Removed Maxi-Fuse
Covered fender with blanket
Removed fairing
Unplugged and removed player (four allen screws on the sides)
Removed top of the player (2 Torx at the rear, 2 tiny Torx at the front)
Coaxed out top CD (grabbed with pliers as soon as it appeared in the door)
Reinstalled Maxi-Fuse
Plugged player back in
Hit EJECT and VOILA! the 2nd CD came out ".
"This works some times.
With power on take another CD stick it in a little it will trip the thes cd player into ejecting the stuck one out."

Maybe one will work, good luck.

Thanks Breeze, pulled the fuse and also disconnected battery as i had the seat off anyways, was out on the bike a few hours with the door/flap open, nothing came out.  Yah, gotta take the batwing off it appears like you said and i also have come to realize.  bummer.

Quote from: UltraNutZ on June 15, 2016, 05:25:15 AM

dust gets inside these units.  get you a can of compressed air (i wouldn't use compressor air unless it's filtered to remove water) and keep it in the upright position, stick the tube in the slot and spray working it back and forth while hitting the eject button.

UN, thanks for the tip, ill try that, may as well, everything was fine prior to trying to update, cant hurt!  when i verify today if i can communicate with my sert/ecm, im taking the bike down anyways for camchest maintenance, ill take the fairing off while i got the bike apart.  Thanks to everyone for your ideas!!
Kris

kristian

While out today, got to changing the presets due to the fact i can only listen to the radio, i noticed that a message on the display came up, disk error or something like that, ive seen this a few times over the last few days, i reached up and pushed the eject button and the damn cd came out!!!!   :wtf:   i was shocked that this thing came out after all these days, what made it come out today i havnt a clue but have an idea as to what i may have done wrong.  i burned the update onto a cd/r that had quite a bit of other files and such on it, i dont know if this caused confusion or that the unit had to go through all of the files before it aborted or something but there was approx 400-500meg on the disk including the 2 small update images.  i kept the cd door open but that didnt allow the radio to work and when i closed the door, all handlebar functions and head unit functions ceased, after approx 5-10 minutes the radio would come back on but when cycling between inputs, it would skip over the cd option and go from fm to wb.  i believe that if one is to do any update, use a regular cd and only write the update image on it, waste yes of a whole cd but i think that this might be the best way to do this, if you want to do this at all.  i think i know what i did wrong but ended up working itself out in the end itself, this is/was my experience with this, perhaps my last but i think im gonna try to update again over the winter, not when we're in the prime of riding season.  peace :bike:
Kris

glens

Blank discs are pretty cheap anymore, aren't they?

One thing that I think is funny after all these years they have never fixed the channel swap.  If you care about it, when you encode MP3 files for a disc for these units, you've got to swap left and right channels because they play back swapped.  Regular music CDs play correctly, but MP3 files have their channels swapped left-to-right on playback.

In your case it just may be that the disc player is dying.  They don't last forever, sad to say.

Breeze

Kristian;  One of the instructions in the H.D. download sheet is "set your record speed to 8 or less". Maybe that will help next time.  Did you notice what revision the update was when you burned it?  I was thinking of updating mine again, but everything works as it should. Probably best to leave it alone. :slap:
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

kristian

Quote from: Breeze on June 19, 2016, 04:38:26 AM
Kristian;  One of the instructions in the H.D. download sheet is "set your record speed to 8 or less". Maybe that will help next time.  Did you notice what revision the update was when you burned it?  I was thinking of updating mine again, but everything works as it should. Probably best to leave it alone. :slap:

Breeze, just went out to the shop and had a look, the current version on mine isST10 v 7.80, TMS 320 vs 7.80, im hesistant to try this all over again myself but looking back as to the way went about doing the upgrade to mine, i believe its my fault??   :nix:  what started all of this for me was the skipping or radical playback while playing mp3's on cd, i believe if you dedicate a cd just for the upgrade image and follow the upgrade instructions, there shouldnt be an issue hopefully, ymmv though, tread lightly.

Quote from: glens on June 18, 2016, 07:45:41 PM

One thing that I think is funny after all these years they have never fixed the channel swap.  If you care about it, when you encode MP3 files for a disc for these units, you've got to swap left and right channels because they play back swapped.  Regular music CDs play correctly, but MP3 files have their channels swapped left-to-right on playback.

In your case it just may be that the disc player is dying.  They don't last forever, sad to say.

thanks glens, i didnt know that about mp3s!! 
Kris

glens

Quote from: kristian on June 19, 2016, 09:04:59 AM
Quote from: glens on June 18, 2016, 07:45:41 PM

thanks glens, i didnt know that about mp3s!!

Yep.  Noticed it right off when John Entwistle was standing on the right-hand side of the stage...  I triple-checked everything and like I said, the commercial music CDs play correctly but MP3s get channel-swapped by the unit.  On three different bikes that I've checked.