May 07, 2024, 03:38:28 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

AMP Question for 09 Ultra

Started by johncr, March 28, 2016, 01:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johncr

Any advice for a 4 channel 2 Ohm amp for 09 ultra?
I have the Polk MM651 (2.7 Ohm) speakers and want to add the amp.

Thanks,
John

UltraNutZ

because the polks are truly not a 2 ohm speaker, you're good with a 4 channel 4 ohm amp John.  The spec'd impedance + speaker wire + frequencies usually keep that speaker at a 4 ohm load with no problem.

not sure what kind of power you're looking for so kind of hard to recommend and good amp.

The RF PBR300x4 is a good amp
The Alpine KTp445U is a good amp

neither are a ton of power but will wake those polks up for you
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

IronMike113

I run a Biketronics 2180 two channel amp with a 4 speaker system,and run in Parallel and works pretty good,I have read on one of the HD forums they had mentioned about the RF 4 channels ran warm when in use,Just what I read,I myself have never used a RF 4 channel .........  :nix:
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

UltraNutZ

Old, original amps got warm. Issues have long been resolved by RF.

IronMike113

Quote from: UltraNutZ on March 28, 2016, 04:42:12 PM

That's good to know thanks UN.....  :wink:
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

johncr

Thanks for the feedback.
Anyway to identify the older RF from the improved one if buying a used one?

UltraNutZ

the fact sheet that comes with it will list the dates on it.  Anything after July 2015 should be good to go.. I doubt you'll find one that old though.. More than likely what you buy (especially if bought from a reputable dealer) will have a pretty current date on that fact sheet

johncr

Joker65

Quote from: UltraNutZ on March 28, 2016, 01:49:42 PM
because the polks are truly not a 2 ohm speaker, you're good with a 4 channel 4 ohm amp John.  The spec'd impedance + speaker wire + frequencies usually keep that speaker at a 4 ohm load with no problem.

not sure what kind of power you're looking for so kind of hard to recommend and good amp.

The RF PBR300x4 is a good amp
The Alpine KTp445U is a good amp

neither are a ton of power but will wake those polks up for you

Can you recommend a similar amp that would bring more power than the two listed above? 
(2015 RGS with two fairing speakers - upgrading the stock speakers; might add additional speakers later.)

Thanks!
"Other than that, how'd you like the theater Mrs. Lincoln?"

UltraNutZ

What speakers are you going with Joker65?

Joker65

Quote from: UltraNutZ on May 12, 2016, 04:33:03 AM
What speakers are you going with Joker65?

Well, to be honest, I've been searching for the best choice there too.  LOL
I was looking at the HogTunes set-up, then BT, but I've been wanting to keep cost down.
I just traded for the 2015 RGS in September and it's my first bike with a stereo; i'm not looking to
blow off anyone's doors, but an upgrade is certainly warranted. 

Looking at 6.5" speakers
"Other than that, how'd you like the theater Mrs. Lincoln?"

UltraNutZ

a great and proven combination is Infinity Kappa 62.11i speakers with a PBR300x2 amp.  The 300x2 is far superior than it's counterpart the 300x4.

you'll want to grab a BT355 line level from Biketronics also to tame that DSP down from the stock head unit.

those three items along with wiring,  and misc stuff might set you back about $300

sbaumann14

UltraNutZ

most speakers now a days are water resistant.  None are waterproof.  stay away from paper cones.

sbaumann14

gonna be doing the 6.5in speakers in a headlight nacelle on my highway bars.  gonna go with  Infinity 612 marine speakers, but looking for other water resistant options

UltraNutZ

I would stay away from marine grade speakers.  They will always lack performance.

People have been running Polks, Infinity, Focal, HAT, Kicker, among MANY other well known brand speakers that are not marine grade for a long time without issue.

just my .02

TerryJFT

Quote from: UltraNutZ on March 28, 2016, 04:42:12 PM

Just curious...what would be the explanation that there are at least four reviews on Amazon from "verified purchasers" in the last month complaining of overheating issues?

UltraNutZ

Don't know any specifics about a place like Amazon's reviews so kinda hard to speculate on their issues. That would be like saying the Andrews 57h is the worst cam ever with no factual data to back it up.   :wink: